cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Adept II
Adept II

Re: Ryzen ECC support?

I read in a different forum that it must be unbuffered for now. However Naples will support DDR4 REG ECC.

Adept II
Adept II

thanks for answer!

Does Ryzen 7 CPUs have ECC in cache ?

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

For those who still feel uncertain, see my answer in the question thread below :

https://community.amd.com/message/2847663 

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Yes they do, just like FX and Athlon/Phenom CPU:s

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

BUFFERED has some additional benefits in 24/7 server environments, but UDIMM (UNBUFFERED/NON-BUFFERED/NON-REGISTERED) offer the desired error detection + correction just fine, including in 24/7 use.

You should educate yourself about these things, since they are common industry wide technologies (non-proprietary).

It's really not AMD:s  (or the community's) responsibility etc.

Check it all out at Wikipedia for example... do a search for "ECC" there, and you can learn all you need.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

The CPU's memory controller supports a lot more than that...

SO :

It mainly depends on what support the motherboard manufacturer has enabled for higher capacity RAM modules.

You can only be certain once you have such information from the MOTHERBOARD manufacturer.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

This 2019 thread explains about ECC Support on all Ryzen processors. Answers are from Official AMD employees: AMD build with ECC support | AnandTech Forums: Technology, Hardware, Software, and Deals 

A: AMD_Robert Technical Marketing
ECC is not disabled. It works, but not validated for our consumer client platform.

Q:
What does "validated" mean in this context? What sort of stumbling-block does that represent to those who want ECC? Will it still be possible to build ECC-enabled servers with consumer-grade (and consumer-price-range) hardware on the Ryzen platform? There are a significant portion of users who want ECC for their NAS/Homelab setups.

A: AMD_james Product Manager
Validated means run it through server/workstation grade testing. For the first Ryzen processors, focused on the prosumer / gaming market, this feature is enabled and working but not validated by AMD. You should not have issues creating a whitebox homelab or NAS with ECC memory enabled.

Q:
So the Ryzen has full ECC support, if I install a ECC memory, it would work in ECC mode, not non-ECC mode?

yes, if you enable ECC support in the BIOS so check with the MB feature list before you buy.

Q:
Thank you for the answer! So, the AM4 platform / socket theoretically has everything to fully support ECC and it's only up to mainboard manufacturers. Is that correct?

A: AMD_Robert Technical Marketing
Bingo.

Yes, it's down to BIOS support.

0 Kudos