Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

andrew-thompson259
Journeyman III

Ryzen dropping frequency/Windows freezing

Hello everyone,

Sorry mods if this is in the wrong category. 

I jut recently (yesterday) upgraded my six year old gaming computer for a whole new spec, since installing everything I've had interminnet issues with it. 

Essentialy what happens is at random, windows will suddenly choke up - I can click on things for about 10-25 seconds during which its incredibly slow and unresponsive after which is then just feeezes up each application. I can continue to move the mouse, click on the start menu and occasionallybring up some apps before the freeze, I get about 3 little shadows under applications (showing they're open) for non-existent applications that just aren't there nor clickable. It happened again around 5 minutes ago and I managed to open the NZXT Cam software and managed to get a very quick glimpse (before the app froze) seeing that my CPU frequency dropped right down to 230Mhz from 4133Mhz.

I've literally Googled every single fix under the sun, I've tried every single thing I could possibly imagine or try - even reading through multiple threads on this forum, my power settings are set to Ryzen Balanced and as far as I'm aware to my understanding I've installed every driver update and updated my BIOS etc. 

My set up is: 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

RAM: Cosair Vengeance RGB Pro 8GB x2 3200Mhz 

Motherboard: NZXT N7 B550

CPU Cooler: NZXT X63

PSU: 650W 

GPU: AMD Raedon Sapphire RX470

Storage: Samsung EVO 850 250GB (Windows location) / Seagate Barracuda 1TB (Storage location) 

I've checked Event viewer and theres no idication there to the issue, I really wouldn't kno where to start with this - I've built my own builds before and have never faced an issue like this before - its seems to be triggered at random either when using the computer or occasionally when idle, I've read plenty of things online from forums where people seem to be in exactly the same situation, I've tried the fixes suggested but as mentioned up until this point nothing has worked. Obviously as I'm using te computer for gaming I'd love to get it fixed as having it crash during the middle of a game has become increasigly more frustrating!

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated.

Cheers!

0 Likes
3 Replies
andrew-thompson259
Journeyman III

Want to just drop this Reddit thread in to this also - this user has postd a video of the exact same thing that happens to my device, reading through the comments people are advising that its NZXT CAM casuin the issue - I've uninstalled this now an will keep my eyes peeled to see if this happens again. 

But in the meantime any advice is still totally appreciated! I fear this somehow won't be the fix considering everything I've tried so far. 

0 Likes

Yeah uninstall any mobo software.  The only time the CPU itself will downclock that far is if there's a thermal issue (poor cooling, or platform thermal limit set very low <- i've tested this LOL), or maybe corrupted BIOS settings.

0 Likes
rodlawliet
Adept II

Hello, I have to tell you that I went through these same freezes that you describe but using another equipment configuration ... I have an ASUS TUF Gaming x570 plus wifi with a Ryzen 7 5800X and with 16 GB of 3200 ram ... I searched many forums and nothing they said managed to fix the problem for me, finally after my last freeze I followed the advice of a friend, I did 2 things and apparently one of those 2 things fixed the problem:

- The first thing was to go to the power options (windows 10) and put the computer in "High Performance" (it was balanced), within the complementary options, I left the hard disk to turn off "never" and in the PCI express options (power management) I left it disabled.

- The second thing was that through the Asus Suite (Armory Crate) I updated the LAN, Wi-Fi and audio drivers (the versions downloaded from the ASUS website were installed but apparently Asus has older versions of those drivers, since Through Armory Crate, the mentioned drivers were updated to much more recent versions that are not even on the asus website).

Finally, after these 2 actions, I never had problems again ... I don't know if your board has a suite that allows you to control the rgb lights and update drivers, but you could check. In several places I read that sometimes it was better to let Windows 10 install the Lan and Wifi driver for you since it usually looks for stable versions.

Anyway with the aforementioned, I did not have frostbite problems again. Try that and tell me, greetings !.

(excuse my english, I'm using a translator)

0 Likes