Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Ryzen and Windows 7

Did AMD fold under pressure from Microsoft? Why won't AMD support Windows 7? Will be a big FAIL if they do not, as most power users are still using windows 7.

Anyone using windows 10 malware edition get what they deserve in the near future, and AMD needing all the help they can get, and not officially supporting windows 7 is a big mistake.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Ryzen and Windows 7

Microsoft decided to offer full Ryzen, Skylake, and Kaby Lake support only to Windows 10. It has nothing to do with AMD or Intel. Neither have access to the Windows code, so they can't do anything.

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Thanks for the reply, but wrong. AMD does not need code to write drivers for Windows 7. Microsoft releases their standards for driver writing/signing called WHQL, and in the case of windows 7 they already have it. So AMD folded from Microsoft pressuring them.

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

The only thing that Windows 7 could not support the latest and future processors from both Intel and AMD is that those processors seat themselves on the advanced platforms which was never expected when Windows 7 was about releasing and popular. If without efforts to re-platform, Windows 7 would fail to work on those processors. But everything has another side, you can use Windows 7 with help of virtual machines or hyper-V integrated onto Windows 10 Pro. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Lol, was that typed via Google translate? Not trying to be mean, it's that it doesn't make sense. Windows 7 already supports Kaby-Lake from Intel, just not "officially". What's funny is that Windows 7 has slightly better benchmarks than Windows 10 on Kaby-Lake, and is not supposed be supported. Calling Windows 10 an advanced platform is an oxymoron to say the least. It has one advantage, and only one, and that is DX12. UEFI, and secure boot is NOT advantageous to the end user, and only provides MS with more control over YOUR hardware. MS has a plan, and it will stop at nothing until it has control of your PC.

As for chipset drivers for Windows 7 from AMD. It would not take a great deal of effort on their part to support Windows 7, and not supporting the MOST used OS in the world, would be a big mistake on AMD'S part.

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Older operating systems will work but do not expect advanced capabilities to work perfectly.

There is still a lot of misunderstanding after some comments from Intel who wanted to push Windows 10 and sell more new hardware

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Older operating system will not work on the future processors if without support from hyper-visor. It is not only Intel or AMD want to push Windows 10, but the only reason is that Microsoft just wants to support those future on their latest products.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Ummm, no, and no, and incorrect. Windows 7 and Kaby-lake from Intel already work flawlessly together, even without "official" support. Misinformation and uninformed answers are not helpful. I can see that this forum is pointless to get true and accurate answers.

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

This is a deplorable decision from Microsoft.  Surely this could be actionable?  Like a huge number of Windows 7 users I will not be strong-armed into using an OS I detest.  I would rather stay on older hardware or make one of the many fine Linux distros my main OS, providing Linux is not also disadvantaged on Ryzen.

In a comment by an important Zen person  ;-)  I read recently somewhere, it is a simple bit of code to make Windows 7 run perfectly on Zen (as it was called then).  Windows 7 runs just fine on a long list of processors released after its 2009 introduction.

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Well, either upgrade to spyware WinX, switch to Linux which is supposed to run on Zen or stay put. Fact is AMD will lose a dear lot of Zen sales due to Microsoft.