Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

poedder
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Ryzen AMD balanced power plan problems

Hello everyone,

so i made a thread about my pc freezing in windows (i can still move the mouse / sound is still working fine, but if i want to open a program nothing happens for a few seconds) and also in games (same issue... sound is working yet the picture doesnt move)

Sadly, noone had a response / solution for this problem. So i stress-tested everything again.. still no problems.

After that i had the amd balanced power plan activated for one day, the high performance plan for the other.

While i had multiple crashes with the ryzen amd balanced power plan, the system with the high performance plan enabled had not a single freeze.

I will leave it on the high performance mode for now, but i would rather have the amd balanced power plan enabled to save energy /better temps.

Does anyone know why my pc freezes in the AMD balanced power plan?

Help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
28 Replies
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Ryzen AMD balanced power plan problems

Even with High Performance the voltage still drops under load. Even with my overclocked 1800X ASUS AI Suite is telling me that under a web browsing load, I am only pulling 19.5w to the CPU. My case fans pull more power than that.

poedder
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hi Zion,

Thank you for the response ! Ok so i can leave it for high performance mode for now, yet i would still be interested why the ryzen optimized power plan keeps on crashing :S does the same thing happen to you (since you use the high performance mode)

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

It does, plus there is a performance penalty for using the Ryzen Balanced profile.

0 Kudos
parsec_
Adept I
Adept I

I have no crashing problems using the Ryzen Balanced power plan. Plus my 1700X has a minor OC to 3.9GHz on all cores.

Don't you think your thread would be filled with other reports of the Ryzen Balanced power plan crashing PCs if it did that to everyone that used it? This power plan is installed with the AMD All in One Chipset driver package, so it must be commonly used by most Ryzen users.

Your Ryzen PC must have another problem that causes the crashing, or is related to a difference in the Advanced settings between the High Performance and Ryzen power plan. You did not post any information about the hardware in your PC, but a typical problem is the use of lower quality PSU that cannot react well to changing power requirements.

0 Kudos
poedder
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Ok, could u find any solution or reason why that happens ? (couldnt find anything on the internet) Because i only read good things about the amd ryzen balanced power plan :S

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

check for a BIOS update for the motherboard

0 Kudos
poedder
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

i already updated to the latest bios version

0 Kudos
poedder
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hello parsec,

Yes thats why i am curious to know if black_zion found a reason (since he said that the same thing happens to him).

My specs are:

Mainboard: Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero

CPU: Ryzen 1700

CPU-Cooler: BeQuiet! Silent loop 240

RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3000Mhz (On the memory list of the mainboard)

GPU: Msi Sea Hawk X Gtx 1080

PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650Watt 80+ Platinum

Case: Corsair 570x

I dont think that the psu is the problem tbh :\ (In my other thread i mentioned that i had different components that i sent back since i had the same problems (the old components were a strix b350 mainboard and also the ryzen 1700.. only thing i kept from the old pc was the ram since all the ram tests (memtest, windows memtest) say that there are 0 problems.

The pc doesnt crash as much (today not a single time) as he used to a few days ago (using the amd balanced plan atm) which is kinda weird since i didnt change anything.

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

I changed my RAM to G.SKILL Flare.

0 Kudos