cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Adept I
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

So.....I was still experimenting at 2:00am this morning and found that my 5950 is extremely sensitive to voltage changes.  With core boost and PBO on it reads 1.375 and the temps are like 80’s-90’s.  I turned the boost and PBO off and manually set the voltage to 1.0 just as a test.  Temps dropped to 30’s -40’s at idle and never went above 70’s when stress testing.  This was running the CPU at factory setting of 3.4 gHz.  Pushin the voltage up, it stayed fairly stable until I started going past 1.2 at which point, the temps rose fairly quickly.  This is on an Asus Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi with the 12/25 BIOS upgrade and a Corsair 1151i AIO 360mm cooler. 
I see there are a lot of other voltage settings under the Tweaker’s tab, but unfortunately I don’t know enough about those to mess with them.  Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me about this can comment if it would make any improvement.  For now, I’m just going to keep my voltage down bit I’m sure I’m taking a performance hit.  

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

@erdoc2 

Hi friend. What you are mentioning it makes sense. That's what I mentioned too in my previous posts here that all seems to be a case of when the voltage changing up and down for the CPU to provide the auto boost performance.

Even a friend of mine had the same with a 3800x cpu and when he disabled the auto boost and set the voltage stable, it stopped and be got much better temps.

I also did something as I mentioned by enable efficiency mode, CPPC, CPPC Preferred Cores and turned the TPU setting to TPU 1 and now the cou runs stable at 4GHz and max temps are 60 in some stress.

But the main quest we got here is if we can find what's going on and we finally can be able to run this cpu at max like 4.9GHz.

And it's sad that AMD just saying it's fine and designed to run in these temps. Cause some will wonder if it's truth or just an excuse.

I also updated my bios on my rog strix x570 e gaming to the latest version but it seems we need more updates or agesa updates.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Hello,

When I change CPU core ratio to 36.00 the frequency is all the time on 3600, or OC Tuner on TPU I it's all the time on 4100. It didn't change anymore like in stock, where the frequency fluctuates between 500 and 4900Mhz.

I wonder if it can damage the CPU to have all the time the same frequency ?

Another question where can I turn the boost and PBO off ? I only find PBO choice.

Thanks.

(it's the first time I go in a Bios, but the temp is so horrible, I need to change it).

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

@giboune 

Hi friend. I don't think you can damage the cpu if it runs in the same and stable frequency permanently as much as its voltage is in a safe values. In the bios press F9 and type PBO and you will find options about it. Also after that type precision and you will find again options about it. There you will find the one you search to set it in Disable option. Also you can use the TPU setting TPU 1 to run CPU at 4GHz and not at 4100. I had the TPU 1 but now I changed to TPU 2 to see how it changes.

I just saw only 100MHz plus so it's not a big deal I guess. You can also enable the settings CPPC, CPPC Preferred Cores and Global C State. You can find them by using again the search by pressing F9. If you enable these settings your temps will go down enough but we are still trying here to figure out how we can use this strong cpu at its max capacity without high temps.

Until then, hope that helps for you. 

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

@Ero_Sennin 

Thank you...

I change CPU core ratio to 36.00 the frequency is all the time on 3600 and I do everything you wrote. And it gave me almost 10 degrees less.

Adept II
Adept II

PSA: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/76936/epic-games-store-launcher-raising-temps-in-amd-cpus/index.html

Just tested on my system. The launcher keeps my temperature at ~ 55 Celsius. Closing the launcher results in a ~ 20 Celsius decrease.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

The bottom line is that it shouldn’t do that.  The temps keep spiking. These are all band-aids for the real, yet I identified problem. 

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Turning Performance Enhance from Auto to Disabled. Stops Percussion boost from running longer than normal. Basically until a peak limit  is hit. V, A, SOC T, CPU T..

Apparently AMD say it's normal & are totally fine at 75 - 85c.

For some reason (at least in Asus BIOS and I think most Gigabyte..¿ Also..? Auto really means Enabled, setting to Disabled will run Precision Boost at factory rates. 

Try it disabled and back on auto under full load and should be a 10 or so C drop during full load on all cores. Cinebench etc.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

It's very strange. For me I loose 10°C in games but Cinebench is more hot +5°C !!!

Idle is a little more hot too.

So strange.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Hey guys... we have temperature problem in winter !!!

Imagine the same thing during summer !!!

I really start to regret having bought an AMD CPU for my new configuration... It's the more powerfull CPU but to make it work well you need to decrease his power... it's so ridiculous.

0 Kudos