Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Adept II
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

@Techno72 

I am curious also, but I guess I will never know for sure. Sent the CPU back to the shop after I bought the 2nd one.
I am thinking very very bad binning on AMD's part.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

So something like your cinebench scores were below expected? Or did you use some other software?

My R23 for reference

without PBO Multi 23,200 Single 1600

with PBO  Multi 28,800 Single 1560

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

I don't think the friend here was mad. He just mentioned that because your answer seemed to took place without reading the full information of the thread.

No one is mad with you I guess. We just trying to find out what's going on. And about the fact you mentioned of buying a second one. So you mean that all of us here that we bought the cpu, have a problematic and defective cpu?

If something like that happens for so many units in every single owner of the 5950x, it means that AMD totally failed.

What I noticed is that 5950x most likely isn't handled right by the motherboards at the moment about the core voltage changes when the auto boost is used.

For example with the stock settings I had even 90 degree Celsius by just opening Chrome while in idle mode I had 50-73 that is insane.

So the cpu was jumping from its 3.4GHz stock frequency to 4.5,4.6,4.9GHz and the temps where high while the voltage were changing.

So after I went to the Bios and enabled the CPPC Preferred cores, TPU setting to TPU 1 and efficiency mode, thw frequency changed automatically to 4GHz stable and no auto boost was happening again.

And with these the temps are max 60 when I play for example a game (not a heavy one yet cause I am waiting my GPU).

But it's annoying to do stuff like this for the time and not using a monster cpu like this to its full potential.

I even talked with AMD and they find it normal for the 5950x to work like this. So if it was a bad units, they shouldn't already tell me for a replacement? Or they just lie to us?

Something's wrong here and I hope the experts of overclocking will find what's behind it or motherboards brand or AMD fix it by new bios and chipset updates.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Anyone mentioned trying changing Performance Enhancer from Auto to Default yet..? At least that's what's it's call in the Asus BIOS..  under AI Tweaker Tab..

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

@ScotchFury 

Did you try this? Did you find any difference? I was reading about this feature on Google but I didn't find really something that could help. So you mean to let all the settings in default but just trying to change this to default instead of Auto?

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Big difference..

Well I have a 7 3700x but from what I found when trying to work out why mine always seemed to push that little hard @ 100% always creeping near the 79 - 85c

Essentially Performance Enhancer basically means hold thetboosted FEQ as long as possible until either cpu power, soc power, voltage etc & the maib one.. THERMAL limit is reached.

And for some reason AUTO basically should actually say..  "ON"

Found my Cinebench run temps dropped from clipping 78 - 83c back to 65c to maybe 72c on a hot day.

Test score barely changed 5 points because what was gained the extra push was mostly offset by it then easing to let temps drop a bit.. up & down etc.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

@ScotchFury 

Thanks for the answer. So if I am not mistaken, if I use the value Default instead of Auto I will lose a bit of performance or not?

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Depends how much extra it was able to get extend or push the boost.

You can tweak how many extra Mhz to boost over and how long etc. Manually through the precision boost and performance options.. But yeah the standard config seems to push a little hard unless you have really good cooling.

Run a benchmark with and without.

I've only got a 120mm RAD on mine currently so my score drop a whole 5 or 7 points..

Fairly sure I saw a YouTube review or similar where he apparently asked someone @ @amd and there answer was the it's made to operate within those temps..

Personally I rather high 60s may be a low 70.. not low mid 80s.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

@ScotchFury 

ΟΚ, I will check it out. Thank you buddy.

0 Kudos