cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ero_Sennin
Elite

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Hi friend and Merry Christmas. If you check the previous posts here, you will find my posts with photos that showing the answers I got from AMD regarding this matter. I had contacted them from the start and they answered with a delay but at least they answer. Well I am still not that satisfied with the answers but I hope we can get later a new bios update and agesa for the motherboard or chipset drivers from AMD too. Now I am waiting also a liquid cooler to arrive and I will use also a better thermal paste instead of the stock of the box to see if things will change.

giboune
Adept I

You don't have to get a liquid cooler or a new thermal paste to enjoy your computer !!!

I have a Noctua cooler (not liquid) and a good thermal paste and I'm not satisfied of my 900€ CPU !!!

Because of the temperature I have a airplane turbine in my living room !!! Like this your neighbor can know that you have a 5950x !!! Thank you AMD !!!

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

The only reason I got the liquid cooler is because the one I am waiting it's specifically for the Ryzen 5950x series. So I will know at least that I am using a proper cooler that is suggested by CoolerMaster and AMD. From the other hand I don't really believe that it will change a lot the things considering all the comments I read here. But according to the AMD, the Ryzen 5950x is designed to run easy without problems at 90-95 degrees. But I am not sure if this is truth or a cheap excuse. Well let's hope that they will do something about it while time by time more people coming here in the forums to complain about the same thing.

0 Likes
giboune
Adept I

"But according to the AMD, the Ryzen 5950x is designed to run easy without problems at 90-95 degrees"...

Great... do they know that more high temperature means more noise ???

Now I no longer have fun to play on my desk because my computer noise hits me on the head.

0 Likes
erdoc2
Adept I

I never had this problem with my 3900X.  Temps consistently in the 30’s/40’s even overclocked.  There is definitely something wrong with either the chip architecture or with something strange in the Asus motherboard.  What ever it is, until they hear from all of us, it’s not going to get fixed too quickly.  Time to not only write the company’s but also to get some of the reviewers like LTT to give it some traction.  

0 Likes
deepcuts
Adept II

Everybody complaining but almost no one stating how they are running this CPU.

PBO enabled? Expect high temps in the 85-90 Celsius. 

Stock? Max 70 Celsius with decent AIO.

Reset your abacus to default 1st and test.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

It's not only in Asus mohterboards. People with other motherboards also mentioned they have the same results.  I hope Asus can offer new bios and agesa updates and AMD chipset drivers so it will work as it should. Because this cpu is totally new and the motherboards may need more optimization to handle it fine.

0 Likes
Chibi28
Adept II

@deepcuts 

If you bothered reading the thread you would know that we are getting these problems using default settings and getting high temps just booting into Windows.

deepcuts
Adept II

@Chibi28 

I read the thread again and I stick to my statement.

"I am having the same problem" means nothing without a full setup description.

Don't be mad with me. My 1st 5950X was a dud also and I had to buy a 2nd one to get my system stable. But neither the 1st one and certainly not the 2nd one exhibited high temperatures at stock.

Be aware that some motherboard manufacturers like Asus enable PBO by default (seen a couple of users reporting this, not my experience) while others like Gigabyte have it disabled by default. Also Ryzen Master can play a role in this.

Of course, having the experience of my 1st bad AMD Ryzen 5950X, I cannot rules out defective CPUs or crappy BIOS causing high temperatures also.

Hope you get your fix soon.

0 Likes
Techno72
Adept I

My 5950x when I brought it had 90C idle temps stock with PBO off by default using x570 Asus Tuff Plus wifi. 

I'm no longer having the problem but thought I would clarify with regards to PBO. 

I'm curious what was wrong with your first 5950x? 

0 Likes