Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hrpuffnstuff
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

@Kalistas 82

It doesn't matter whether its set to 5 or 30% as its all the same.  My room is 79°F so the CPU is 25-30°F over ambient and the tim still hasn't had time to set.

0 Likes
Kalistas_82
Adept III

ofc it doesnt matter - unless we are talking of a different setting - changing the "lowest" allowed powerstate to anything above 5% in the powerplan wont change the boost behaviour in any way 

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Adept III

After disabling power boost in bios my temps fell down to the 105°F range idle and 140°F while gaming which is fine.  If I feel like I need all core boost I'll enable it in bios beforehand.

0 Likes
Dynaverse
Journeyman III

For anyone running X570-E

Disable the cancer software to make 5950x cool again. Dropped from 70c idle in windows to 36c running 5950x Asus X570-E. I have PBO enabled, it's not that or any issues with bios. 

I'm using NZXT X63 2 fan one.

Also 3950x has an issue with Nvidia software, 2 cores max at 100%. So poke around. 

Here you go, cool 5950xHere you go, cool 5950x

Kill cancer software that comes with motherboard.Kill cancer software that comes with motherboard.

3D mark after full load, check green line.3D mark after full load, check green line.

0 Likes
PWn3R
Journeyman III

I wanted to add some information here in regards to my experiences. I just converted from an Intel i9-7980xe that was delidded and overclocked to 5Ghz on 5cores and the other 13 were at 4.6Ghz. That CPU was drawing 780w from the wall for idle computer except running Cinebench. I was able to cool that and keep temps under 80 under full load with the liquid cooling system I have setup.

I have since re-worked that liquid cooling system to include an additional radiator, and a second pump to ensure that the flow rate is excellent (sitting at about 6L/m flow rate).

I am now seeing mid to high 60s, sometimes touching 70 while running Cinebench with my 5950x. I have the following configuration:

AMD 5950x with Corsair XC9 block

Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (non-wifi)

4x8GB G Skill 3800 CL 17 (2 kits of 2 sticks, 32GB total)

Nvidia RTx 3090 Founders Edition with Alphacool block

I have the 3090 in the loop as well. Here is the loop layout starting from the out on the CPU block:

CPU > Laing D5 > 480mm Swiftech Rad > 360mm THICK (double thickness) HW Labs Rad > GPU block > 560MM HW Labs Rad > EK Res/D5 Pump combo > CPU 

Now, you are probably asking why I'm posting this. I wanted to provide perspective to people about the heat concentration that these 5950x CPUs have. My AMD CPU after adding a second pump and a 560mm rad to this loop is still running at nearly 70c under load WITHOUT PBO. The package temperature reports as high as 83c at times. The (arguably) borderline insane voltages that they are using is responsible for part of this, as is the fact that the chiplets are essentially half the size of the same structures on Intel because 14nm vs 7nm. The ability to move the heat away from these chiplets efficiently is getting more and more difficult as manufacturing size decreases.

Increasing clockspeed increases heat generated, increasing voltage increases heat generated, and we are looking at tiny little chiplets, running very high voltages stock, and very high clockspeeds. If your CPU isn't thermal throttling, you don't have a problem, you just have the highest end AMD performance CPU available. As a brand agnostic performance chaser, I can say that both AMD and Intel have built some volcanoes over the years (Prescott Pentium 4 3.8Ghz machine melters anyone?). There are some people that have posted in this thread with legitimate problems and concerns, but I would say most things people are posting about are within what should be expected with this CPU. Just my .02

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

My 5950X hits 70C under load at 215W PPT, 140A TDC and 160A EDC.  It certainly does not hit that with PBO off.  I have a single D5 pump and a 45x420mm radiator and a 45x280mm in push pull.  So substantially less radiator area but apparently better performance.  What case are you using?

0 Likes
PWn3R
Journeyman III

LDPC v8 with a customized top mount for the 560. The only ? I have is the Corsair high performance thermal paste I had to use. The plan was to use LM, but I had about one pinhead worth of LM left when I went to apply and ended up scooping the only kind of thermal paste they had at BestBuy.

Edit: Without the 560 in the loop, my loops water was going to +10 or +11c over ambient under gaming loads before equalizing. Now it's +3c.

0 Likes