cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

BradB111
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

@trek Well My 5950X STILL doesn't perform within spec for Single core but hey.... No problem I guess
My Temps during gaming hit 85° (The limit I set) also (2-6 core load).  

I've documented everything I have found in A LOT of detail in this thread showing a clear issue with the boost behaviour spending hours of my time to benefit other people who are experiencing the same but no issue right? To see clear evidence and dismiss it and just saying "AMD Said" does not help the situation and doesn't make sense to me. 

If "AMD said" that the CPU would catch fire if you load chrome and firefox at the same time and said this was normal would you accept it? No of course not. 

So this is normal under a custom loop right?:

BradB111_0-1624361269412.png

by the way this speed is not sustained it will constantly drop to 3.8GHz and bounce back to maybe 4.6GHz average.

Here's a video of both All core which I would consider somewhat normal and the single core.... not normal at all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_jT5ZRS9Gs

Anyone able to post a similar video for single core to to help me not lose my mind completely?

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

@BradB111 

I agree.  I think it is worth mentioning again, that I myself have a very similar setup and do not experience the issue at all.  So what you in this thread are seeing is clearing aberrant behavior.

Sure, if every 5950X did the same thing, that would be one thing.  But they don't.  I'm not sure where the problem lies, whether with X570 motherboards or just certain CPUs themselves. 

Thanks for putting the time in and trying to troubleshoot.   

0 Likes
trek
Elite

@BradB111you have single core performance issues because you unlocked PBO limits to some insane brutal values like PPT almost 400W and some insane currents. It's been tested and discussed a million times that if you unlock PBO limits that it causes single core performance drop.

I would not wonder if you fried something with those limits set on either CPU or motherboard (even with water loop).

Can you please load bios defaults?

And this thread again and again proves that these "thermal issues" are virtual, non-existent, actually users are causing them. Along with USB issues and all other issues, because people are fiddling with bios values, of course do what you want with your PC but report issues only when all is default.

Addon:

Exactly for this reason, there exist motherboards like ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero which can switch PBO with all core overclock so you keep maximum single core performance.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@BradB111 

You may have point regarding the PBO limits and if they are changed to these big values. But in my case even with stock BIOS settings when I run the PassMark Performance Test, the max frequency I get is 90c.

After I changed the LBO limits to specific values and used  negative offset per core for undervolting, I reach about 80-85c max temperature and single thread max frequency 5 to 5025MHz.

I am using the MSI MEG X570 Ace and for a cooler the CoolerMaster AIO ML360. But I am thinking if I use the temperature throttle in BIOS from 90c to 80, it ll be better or I ll get spikes etc? Any idea?

0 Likes
Th0rHere
Journeyman III

@trek 

I'm using default setting. PBO auto - which is disabled

I have the same problem.

This is not user error. 

0 Likes
trek
Elite

@Th0rHereverify with Ryzen master that PBO disabled means actually that limits are default, and also I doubt you have the same problem, you have probably totally different problem. You would have to provide e.g. also video showing Ryzen master and behavior of your CPU under given circumstances.

@Ero_SenninI am not sure what you are asking but what you describe = your system works correctly, if there is a problem you would have to name this problem exactly and show videos or something demonstrating this problem

0 Likes
BradB111
Adept II

@trek 
I am really getting bored of providing the same proof over and over. This is the case on default settings (Like I have already detailed)

This is the case on more conservative limits of 215 / 140 / 160  (Like I have already detailed)

It does not matter how many times I share clear images of issues I always seem to get blamed, please feel free to explain this then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGd3M1VzY3A

0 Likes
trek
Elite

@BradB111you still do not have bios defaults, because you changed pbo thermal throttle limits. Load bios defaults, do not change anything in BIOS and repeat test.

0 Likes
BradB111
Adept II

@trek Mate, STOP blaming the user, there are so many people coming forward with the same issue. 

Just to satisfy you I'm going to record the whole process. Stand by approx 30 mins

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@trek 

No I don't have any problems now. After I changed my mobo from Asus to the MSI, I can run and work my system normally. I just mentioned about the PBO Limits for the Brad to say that even with defaults PBO limits the temperature it still can go high.

But if you change and find the manual PBO limits for your own system, it can be better.

0 Likes