cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

panzerhead
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Thank you, this worked for me. The only thing I had to do was what you mention in your recap.

@mickyfin wrote:

To recap on what I did.

First I disabled both Core boost and precision boost in bios.

Next I ran then   ASUS AI suite 3 and select performance and clicked on the optimization this gave me an overclock of 20%

I then went back into Bios directly and re-enabled the two boost settings.

Happy now with the temps sitting at 47 - 48C

Hope this helps

This was a big help for me, a beginner that builds his first pc, and freqs out when seeing up to 70 degrees at ideal.

Thank you again for the help.

0 Likes
dawildqc
Journeyman III

@ajlueke  i tested with same results but worst, my CCD1 reached 86C

Here my screenies from Stock NO PBO Config (DOCP activated to xmp profile)

OCCT 100% usage

dawildqc_0-1620257421503.png

Cpu Mark REsulst

dawildqc_1-1620257441882.png

Idle usage spike;

dawildqc_2-1620257511724.png

TimeSPy result

dawildqc_4-1620257635639.png

I'm getting low benchmark aswell, maybe i got a bad chip. note the very low cpu usage on my 100% CPU stress test

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Try to punch in all your RAM timings manually.  Set the speed and infinity fabric to 1:1 to 3600:1800 and then try the following timings.  They are pretty loose, so it should work depending on the kit you have.

timings.jpg

0 Likes
novaforcex
Journeyman III

I'm having the same problem. Been trying to tweak it out, but yeah having really hard time keep it cool, using a Z73, stock I can easily get around 90, even with curve optimizer, hitting 90 playing Overwatch.

0 Likes
Th0rHere
Journeyman III

Checking in again on this. Seems more and more are seeing the same issue.

Just to note.

3 x 360MM radiators. Coolant temp at a nice 30-35 degrees.

5950x still hitting 80+ degrees with just single core load. I cant imagine this is by design. That is insane amount of heat coming from the CPU for just single thread performance. 

Full all-core load does go past 60 ever.

Has AMD responded to this at all. The last support chat I had with them just referred to the max temp as if it explained insanely high temps every single time. 

0 Likes
ChuckVader
Adept I

Hey  @Th0rHere what MB do you have?

Also experiencing this, I have 2 x 360mm EK radiators on my setup with a fairly relaxed fan curve with an emphasis on quieter and slightly high temperatures.

I am on a Crosshair VIII Formula and have modded the board to include watercooling for the chipset and two SSDs as well as the RAM plus a 3090 Strix OC.

It's a relatively hot day today and my office which is exposed to quite a lot of heat is at an ambient temperature of 26C (really need air con )

My water return temp is currently sat at 43C which is a bit higher than I would like but fans are only on 55% based on this temp.  Will hit 100% at 50C and pump is running at 100% when past 35C.

GPU is sat at 41.5C idle but rarely gets above 55C under load (might do today...)

Chipset is 20C cooler than with fan at 60C at the moment but normally more like 52C

SSDs are in mid 40C

HWInfo has CPU (Package) max at 77C but currently sat at 60C this is just under normal load (which includes VMWare and iCue as well as ArmoryCrate is running)

CPU at max 67C but currently sat at 50C.

Occasionally I get a WHEA uncorrectable error when the machine is idling, its quite happy when running stress tests etc and the temperatures are normally in the 60s range.

Something probably is causing a voltage spike which in turn spikes the temperature and at a certain point my system doesn't like it.

I have started to play around with Ryzen CTR and need to do it properly and check the benchmark but it took temperatures well below what it normally idles with it at a good speed.

Convinced that it a single thread issue with a high voltage as it's recording up to a max of 1.5V.  I just have a fairly standard BIOS with it out of the box, DOCP standard set to get my memory at 3200MHz and timings.

Did you get any more luck?

0 Likes
fawarzion
Journeyman III

You can understand after reading this page

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/cpu-pb2 

get better
0 Likes
Fastmikefree
Adept II

Troubleshooting a little bit more since machine has been rock solid for few Months after I set eveyting stock except for RAM at 3800/Fclk at 1900 and more importantly, AMD CBS PSU to typical idle!

Started to get some error 18 and hundreds of 19 few days ago...

Tried another 5950x, same same.

Since I could not figure out what was going on, after reset CMOS and same 3 changes only,  I reinstalled Windows and no more error even gaming for hours till I apply Windows 10 20H2 updates...

As soon as I got KB5003173 KB4023057 and  KB5003637, errors again...

Reinstalled from scratch, no more errors. After 20H2 errors again!

Since I cannot block 20H2 for long, I found out that setting RAM to 3600 / 1800 is more stable with 20H2 but there is definitely something wrong with 20H2 and AMD chipset. Definitely a software issue!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
elpuertorro
Adept III

Hmm saw this figured i would ask new tech, new info, did you guys know for Ryzen its normal to hit 80's peak is 90c and for 5600 95c the new normal is about in the range of about 70-83 give or take, so don't think while gaming 70 and 80 is high is actually normal.

0 Likes
trek
Elite

Everyone knows that 5950x running 90C (in full load) is ok, AMD said that, people just insists on it being some issue. I have 5950x more than 6 months and everything is fine, I only lowered PBO thermal throttle to 80C, yeah if you are unhappy with 90C you can set target to whatever you want.

I do not understand why 74C or event 90C (in full load) "problem" is still a thing. It has been repeated a million times - it is ok.

0 Likes