Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Adept II
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

@AlienLoRd 

Glad you got the temps down. Its crazy. This chip is the first CPU that I've ever had that doesn't work properly at default settings. One thing for sure is that it is a monster of a CPU.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

I have the same problem. 5950x, asus crosshair viii hero wi fi. Idle 63C, Cinebench over 90C. Whenever I open something it spikes to 75c. The bios is update to 3003 version, but no luck. I’m using the TPU I now, it keeps the idle temps in the 50s, but it goes to 4000mhz max. Anyone knows if Asus will address this. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I had similar issues with my 5950x and Aorus X570 Xtreme Motherboard.

Was idling in windows around 64C (few things open but CPU utilization was low).  During some games it would ramp up to 74ishC.
Cyberpunk pushed it more around 80C.

First turned off PBO which brought temps down a little but not that much (maybe about 5C).
Then went into bios and turned off core boost as well.  Now getting about 40C idle and ramps up to just over 50C in games.
That being said, only getting about 3.8GHz clock speed.

Seems to be issues with optimizing the boost performance.  That combined with these CPUs just running hotter than we are used to.  Guess we will have to wait for future BIOS updates.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Yeah, it’s bad to be frank. My pc started to freeze a few minutes ago when I had a couple of processes running.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Talk with Gamers Nexus: 
https://youtu.be/Xra4KdJZ974?t=1349

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I also had some issues but ultimately it was case airflow that was the main issue. I didn't change my case but I have a glass front for my RGB case fans with fine filters on the sides. So I removed the side filter material and my CPU temps dropped by 30 deg celcius. Hope this info helps. Now my cpu runs at 50 deg celcius and only goes to 70 deg when playing games or video editing.

I use a MSI Tomahawk X570 wifi board with a RTX3070 and 64 gig of Corsair 3200 ram.

Obviously you have an ASUS so this may not be related to your issue. Just thought I would post if it might help in any way :D

Also running at Extreme power profile. So case airflow seems to affect a lot. As for the dust you wonder? Well I clean my pc from dust around every 6 months anyways as the filters clog up and have to be cleaned anyways.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

I’ll try that, I have a lian Li 8auer. It has 2 large filters on 2 of the exhausts. 

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

It wasn’t the filter. No I reached 100c in Cinebench at one point. What is happening with this CPU?

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

I am having the identical problem with the identical CPU and motherboard.  I got one good run after I installed it and then the chip started to run very hot 70+ at idle and close to 100 under loads.  It also appeared to throttle down since my benchmarks dropped significantly.  This was with a Corsair 360mm liquid cooler (brand new as well).  I even changed the cooler to air and there was no difference.  The only thing that has helped was to disable both the core boost and the overdrive clocking option.  It cooled the CPU down in to the 40's but destroyed my performance.  Obviously there is a problem but the question is where?  AMD or Asus?  I'm going to contact both companies but in the meantime, anyone else have further suggestions?

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

One other thing I failed to mention.  I flashed the BIOS with the new update last night and it had zero effect.  I was so hoping that was it.

0 Kudos