cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ero_Sennin
Elite

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Well. I had sent a message to Asus support at that time back and until now, I never got an answer. That's really annoying if you ask me.

BradB111
Adept II

I've contacted staff via ASUS forums, Hopefully I have some luck.

Fastmikefree
Adept II

@Ero_Sennin 

Ok, not much success with my 4400 DDR4 and DRAM calculator so set it in bios at 3600 which gave me a CAS of 19/tRCD 19/tRP 19/tRAS 46/tRC 84/CR 1T.

Here a my results in OCCT (with recommended settings) and OpenHardwareMonitor showing CCD1 is optimized but CCD2 can probably be tuned up if my understanding is correct:

OCCT  CCD1 above CCD2.JPG

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

"hy even with a negative curve offset does the cpu pull 200A at 1.34v when using PBO? That is 168W vs  268W a whole 100W of power extra is drawn to achieve the same clock speeds by the boosting algorithm, this is massive."

Again, clock speeds by themselves aren't really indicative of anything.  AVX workloads required vastly more amperage to execute at identical clocks vs other instruction sets.  How does that clock speed hold up in manual in OCCT? 

But as I recommended, you could take an incremental approach with the PPT/TDC/EDC and set your PBO values that way.  That is what I did with my ASUS motherboard and I have had excellent results with the Ryzen 9 5950X. 

0 Likes
BradB111
Adept II

I am 100% aware of this, however I am testing the same workload here so it is completely needless for the boosting algorithm to pull an additional 100W for the same work in this case.

0 Likes
wildcard1978
Adept III

It's not a issue they run that hot  all ryzen 5000 cpus do they shirt the thermal threshold so well boost clocking ecf evena5600x can hit 90 to 95 c on a stock air cooler

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

"I have also found something else in the past. This is what happens is I apply a -0.1v offset to the core:"

What is interesting in the amount of TDC/PPT your processor is actually using.  About 195.5W and 142A in this image.  That is close to where I set my processor.  215W/140A/160A.  After that, I found the temperature went up rapidly with really limited gains.  My 5950X is at 70C at 215W/140A/160A not over 80C that you are seeing here, but that is likely due to the cooler difference.  I have a full custom EK monoblock that also cools the VRMS.  I actually had over 90% of the performance at 200W/125A/145A and my temps were in the low 60Cs.  

I don't think there is any reason to let the CPU go over 200A on TDC or EDC.  The cooling required just isn't there unless going sub ambient.

0 Likes
wildcard1978
Adept III

Even on a. 3950x. With a 240 or 360 aio I'm still hitting 81 to 85 c full load testing  lol and playing games max settings 60 to 70 something so temps are normal

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

You can try the timings I have below.  ProcODT is at 48.  These are fairly loose, fairly safe timings.  You can set your kit to 3600 and 1800 on infinity fabric and then keep moving up from there. 

timings.jpg

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

"o pull an additional 100W for the same work in this case."

I think that is the way it has always worked?  At least since matisse it has at any rate.  The algorithm doesn't figure in instruction sets, only threading level.  So if you get a 16 thread workload the processor will pull enough assuming that the most challenging instruction set .  That can make it seem as though the processor is pulling too much vs manual for no gain in performance.  But run something like OCCT small data or another heavy AVX workload set and then the manual settings just don't have the juice and fall away in performance.

0 Likes