cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ero_Sennin
Elite

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Good to hear. Hope it will work out for you!

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Hi friedns,

AMD Support today answered further regarding the temperature matter. I am sharing with you their answer.

new_amd_response.png

0 Likes
Chibi28
Adept II

I applied the TPU1 setting last night and instantly the temps dropped from 70C to 45C. Playing Watchdogs Legion temps went up to 65C. I also disabled CPB, but may switch it back on tonight and see what the difference is.

I Didn't try any of the other settings you recommended but the TU1 setting made such a big difference. I'm not sure if it is lowering the performance of the CPU, but when gaming it was only reaching around 20-30% load and the GPU was 100% load.

Hopefully AMD or Asus will fix this in the future so you can use the CPU on default settings as not everyone wants to fiddle around with bios settings.

Thanks for your help @Ero_Sennin  

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I was sure because that's how it works it seems. The other settings are just for making CPU power consumption lower. It actually disables auto boost so the fluctuations voltages are stopped and frequency runs stable. About the AMD solution, if you checked my previous message that I posted the answer of AMD support, it seems they are not going to do something.

At least with the current data considering their answers. Because they say this chip is made to run easy in up to 95 degrees Celcius.

Well yeah I understand that we paid a lot for this chip and it has a solid quality for being able running in these temperatures as AMD also mentioned, but I would feel better if I can see temperatures of 75 degrees and bellow while CPU works high. Like in a super heavy game.

0 Likes
Chibi28
Adept II

It's rubbish when they say it's working as intended. Everything is trying to be more power efficient and my cpu is pumping out heat like no tomorrow and all my PC is doing is running Windows desktop and some background processes lol

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Well I hope they have totally right, or they will get trucks with their CPU barbecued by their customers 😄

0 Likes
AlienLoRd
Adept I

Same issue here and it's nasty!

I have just done my new pc build-up:
5950x + Asus ROG X570 E-Gaming + Kraken Z73 360...

The first shock was seeing the temp at 50c in Bios... 
THen in windows idle at 74c - 78c

Worth mentioning that I just loaded optimized defaults in the Bios, had to select DDR 3600  Speed. And that's it, I don't want to overclock...

Now in windows, I have CAM software and it was blowing the fans at full speed! the pc was making so much noise...
Also, another observation, tried doom eternal and the temps were up to 80c...

I thought I am buying a super-efficient CPU,... This is very disappointing.
I will read through the thread to see what to try... I want lesser heat but I don't want to compromise on standard performance...

0 Likes
AlienLoRd
Adept I

And I just tried the AI Suite 3 Performance mode and now Idle in windows 51c!!! with a 20% performance boost,... it works but something is seriously wrong with the bios / drivers / software...

Cheers,

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

See: https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/best-motherboards-for-amd-ryzen-5000-cpus-x570-b550-for-gami...

According to Buildzoid, AMD AGESA is still changing and therefore Motherboard BIOSes are still changing and buggy. 
Hopes it will be fixed in ~ 2 months. 

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Hi friend,

I have post some official answers from AMD regarding this matter because I was facing the same. I am also using the same mobo as you and I posted what I did. Check previous posts if you like and I hope you are getting some help from them. AMD also mentioned that this CPU is designed to work easily even in 95 degrees of Celcius. But however let's hope we are getting new agesa patches, bios and amd chipset drivers.