cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

CalinB
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

If I disable pbo limits I only get 45k in passmark. Can you send me a photo with your settings in Bios, please? We have the same mobo, so I don’t know why the difference. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ero_Sennin
Elite

An update here guys. @CalinB Maybe you will be interest on that.

First I had installed the latest stable BIOS from MSI that includes the new AGESA ComboV 1.2.0.0. There were released a week ago. But before 2 days I noticed a new beta BIOS are available with a changelog:

- Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.1
- Improving Ryzen CPU performance

So I flashed these BIOS and then I took a look on my CPU cores. I tried to found which cores are the best, which are the less best and which are the least best. After that, I have used the following settings in BIOS.

CPU Ratio Apply Mode: All Cores
CPU Ratio: Auto
FBCLK: Auto
Memory Extreme Profile (XMP): Profile 1

Global C State: Auto
CPPC: Auto
CPPC Cores: Auto
Performance Regulator: Disabled

PBO: Advanced
PBO Limits: Manual to PPC: 200W, TDC:200A and EDC: 150A
PBO Scalar: Auto
Max CPU Boost Clock Overdrive: +125MHz

Then in curve optimizer I chose the option Per Core instead of All Cores and I did the following changes:

To the best cores:
Curve Optimizer Sign: Negative
Magnitude 15.

To the less best cores:
Magnitude: 20

To the least best cores:
Magnitude: 30

Platform Thermal Throttle Limit: 95c

After these settings, I have ran many times the benchmarks PassMark and Cinebench R23. And bellow I will attach the photos of the current results while running the benchmark and after finished and which maximum frequency values the cores reached along with the maximum temperature:

passmark_curve_optimizer_negative_per_core_d.pngcinebench_curve_optimizer_5950x_b.pngcinebench_single_core_curve_optimizer_5950x_b.png

Now I am using the PC like this everyday since yesterday and I will see how it goes. Hope this helps somehow guys.

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Similar to what others have reported here.

I have my Ryzen 9 5950X setup on my X470 Crosshair VII.  Using an EKWB custom loop as the cooler.

Currently running with PPT 215W, TDC 140A, EDC 160A.  Cinebench R23 results added below.  With this setting I max out TDC and am at 94% of PPT.   CPU maintains around 70C in OCCT small data set as well as Cinebench R23.

Cinebench4.PNG

As far as the temps go,  I also ran Cinebench R23 with PPT 200W, TDC 125A, EDC 140A.  In that scenario PPT leveled off at 85% and temps were around 62C.  Cinebench R23 Multicore was at 28543.  

So a 12% increase in TDC lead to a 19% increase in wattage, a 13% increase in temp for about a 3.5% increase in performance.  Well past the efficiency curve I would say.  On the other hand, my cooler can handle it, and my voltages are fine, so it is effectively free performance.

I would say start with PBO manual settings at the processor limits (PPT 144W, TDC 95A, and EDC 140A).  Slowly raise those allowances until you hit the temp you want.  Then that will be the limit for your system.  After that you can tweak the curve optimizer to get a bit more out of your system.  If you don't set the limits manually PBO will use the limits for the motherboard which can be ridiculously high and might be playing havoc on these systems. 

0 Kudos
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Hi @ajlueke 

Thanks for sharing these information. I don't have time right now to read the whole post but I have a quick question. Any chance that you ran the OCCT latest version for the CPU and RAM stressing for 1 hour to see if you are getting any errors or not?

With little words this will make you find out if you are stable or not. There are specific settings you need to ran on OCCT for both cases. If you like I can let you know. Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hello.  

I ram the small data set, extreme, with steady load to check my temps.  I also ran large data set, extreme, variable to do the error checking on the system.  Both came back without issues.

0 Kudos
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@ajlueke 

Exactly. And if no errors back, it means you are good to go. How much W ud your PSU if I may ask?

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I have the Corsair 1600 AXi. 

0 Kudos
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@ajlueke 

Cool. Thanks buddy.

0 Kudos
Artextrude
Journeyman III

Hi,
I have Ryzen 5950x and Corsair H100i Pro XT cooler, my case Corsair 5000X 3 intake front fans and two cooler's fans and release mounted with the radiator at the top, I had two issues temperature like yours and extreme fans noise (really loud),
I fixed my issues by rewiring the cooler to the CPU-fan heder instead of the AIO-Pump header and the radiator fans to the Pump itself, and now using icue software to control the fans speed depending on the pump temperature. (the pump set to an extreme but it is silent).
since the machine is quiet and the temperature between 35 to 60 depending on the load.
I hope this info will be of help.

temp.jpgCorsiar H100i Pro XT.jpg

0 Kudos
MisterE
Adept I

Just a note: 

On the ASUS Strix 570-E there is a bios option to install the Armoury Crate. The option can be disabled so you don't get prompted in Windows to install it.

Some users have found the various services to cause increased CPU usage and therefore increased heat. Other users have mentioned they're "chatty" on the network as well.

I've been able to live without the app package and just choose my monitoring software of choice. (Currently NZXT CAM and Ryzen Master).

My two cents.

Thanks.