Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ero_Sennin
Elite

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

@mrsense 

And I have it in Auto. I didn't change anything there buddy. Is this too less or too much? Don't know what to do. I tried reset bios, reflash bios, nothing changed. I even reset power form the PC.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Blunt_Knife
Journeyman III

After a lot of tinkering this is how I was able to address this issue for my setup which I detail first

5950x cooled with a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax on an Asus Rog X570e (on V3001 Bios, I am getting WHEA crashes with 3405)

2X32 GB Corsair Lpx DDR4 3200 CL16

MSI RTX 3090 Ventus 3X OC

Corsair RM850X

Enabled PBO and set the default PPT(142W), TDC(95A) and EDC(140A) limits on it. Added a 200MHz max boost override with a negative 10 offset in curve optimizer (I can probably go 12-15 but haven't had the time to check  stabilities yet). You can see the results I have gotten below

Optimization.png

I added the clock speeds with  a screenshot shown in paint (since I can't fit the entire thing on my screen). You can see that my best cores boost upwards of 5GHz and my temps don't exceed (80C). They generally hover around 70C under full load with occasional spikes up 80C. Idle temps hover around 45-50C which is much better than what I was getting using default settings (around 65C). I am not losing any performance compared to stock settings. I hope you find this helpful. This still does not address the problem which is Asus bios settings because this issue seems much more prominent on Asus motherboards from what I have been able to gather online we still need a fundamental bios fix. 

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Hi @Blunt_Knife 

Thanks for sharing these useful information. They are indeed helpful. I may try this. Also you could try the CTR 2.0 that will help you probably get easier the most out of your Ryzen 5950x.

It will also show you if you have Gold, Silver or Bronze thread CPU. So the settings you mentioned all done in BIOS right?

Also according to Optimum YouTube channel, the 5950x could go max as far as -12 in magnitude.

0 Likes
Blunt_Knife
Journeyman III

Glad I can help. CTR 2 identifies my cpu as a silver sample. I haven't done a deep dive in CTR 2 yet but from what I have understood so far I will lose single core boosts, correct? That is correct I can probably go up 12 ticks of undervolting but it depends on my luck in the silicon lottery. I will try and update if I can get better temps with minimal performance loss and solid stability.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@Blunt_Knife 

As much as I know from the 2 days I use the CTR, I understand that it tries with less voltage to give you the best possible high frequency for all cores.

So all cores will run in the same frequency and this will improve performance even if you don't go higher than 4.5GHz or 4.9GHz in single cores.

The other good thing it has is that provide you 2 profiles. So the first one to get the most possible high frequency with about 1.10v and the second profile with 1.250v at least.

Then with the option Hybrid OC it changes profile 1 to 2 and the opposite according the load that CPU requests.

For me it's also gave me the Silver thread but I can't finish the stability test from CTR. It says overclock failure detected and it stops the process.

I am wondering if I need to change any other option in my MSI MEG X570 Ace motherboard because for now I used only these that the guide mentioning.

Also I can't find in BIOS when I can set my PSU power to extreme profile. In case you didn't know about the CTR guide, I am providing the link bellow:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/clocktuner_2_for_ryzen_(ctr)_guide,1.html

0 Likes
Blunt_Knife
Journeyman III

I didn't know about the switching profiles. That indeed can be super useful! 
I watched this tutorial about a week ago on how to use CTR2 but haven't gotten into trying it yet. Maybe you find it helpful too

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@Blunt_Knife 

Yes it is indeed helpful. About the guide you mentioned I am not sure if I watched it before so I will take a look now. Thanks about that. If I can't make it work again, I may try what you mentioned in your very first post. For the time I am using in BIOS:

PBO Limits: Disabled
PBO: Advanced
PPT, TDC, EDC: Auto
Curve Optimizer: All Cores / Negative / -12

And I get about 48.5k in Passmark / CPU Mark benchmark with max temps 75c in that time I ran it.

0 Likes
Lino2021
Journeyman III

Guys I have the same issue! 

here is how I solved it until Bios Update. It works in my Viii CROSSHAIR Mobo. 5950x. 

update AMD DRIVER 

Use settings in this video: 

https://youtu.be/VoT7bBnZN2c

now I get 60c on MW vs 80c before. 
on Cinebench r20 I get 10,765 score at 80c max temp. 

hope this helps. May also say that the same thing happened with my 3950x and eventually bios update stabilized temps as I also worked with PBO settings. AMD is great but needs tuning to stabilize. 

Tags (3)
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Good to hear @Lino2021 

Thanks for sharing too. Also I noticed that before 2 days MSI released another new BIOS version (beta) that updates the AGESA from 1.2.0.0 to 1.2.0.1 and changelog also mentioning "Improving Ryzen CPU Performance".

So later I will try these. For the moment with the current BIOS AGESA 1.2.0.0 I am getting 73c max with Passmark benchmark pushing all CPU tests and I have did the following:

PBO: Advanced

Global C State: Disabled

CPU Boost Overdrive Offset: 200MHz

Curve Optimizer: Negative and Magnitude -12.

PPC: 142W

TDC: 95A

EDC: 140A like @Blunt_Knife mentioned.

But I really want to work with the Clock Tuner Ryzen 2.0. It can give a great result if I can find the right options for the values.

Lino2021
Journeyman III

Thanks Ero..

the CPU seems happy atm. I’m saving for a Water cooling kit. I have a 150i pro from Corsair but with the 5950x apparently atm is not enough. I want to hit 66c at Max with my settings and that will only work with a better cooling solution.