cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

JoltCola
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

I don't have a dark hero and CO works great-- but yes you do want AGESA 1.2.0.0.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@JoltCola 

I will wait for the BIOS update and then I may try too. Did you notice difference in temps and power consumption too?

0 Likes
giboune
Adept I

@vice65 @Ero_Sennin 

I reinstalled Windows and now I get 47082pts on CPU Mark !!! (37900 before)

I'm happy...I'm happy like this... good temp with TPU1 or 2, and 1 fan front, 1 on Ventirad and 1 back...

My computer is pretty quiet, temps not so bad... and I read that PBO is not good for gaming !!!

NICE !!!

JoltCola
Adept III

Yes, CO leads to lower temps and/or higher clocks, depending on PBO limits set. Definitely worth messing around with it.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@giboune 

Hi buddy. Good to hear. So you had probably installed an app that was absorbing some resources and caused that? However if I were you, I would try to run the benchmark in Auto BIOS settings too and see how the temps and the result would go. Of course with XMP 1.

@JoltCola 

I may try it when I got the BIOS update. If it's fine by you I may also tag you if I need help.

0 Likes
spykezap
Adept I

After two months of frustration i have finally figured it out.

Last Friday i gave up completely, i emailed the shop i bought the kit from and demanded to return all of it and just swap it for a Intel system. My favorite game was not running and the temps just annoyed me while not getting the performance i wanted.

Saturday i had calmed down lol, and figured i'd give the 5950x one last chance. I picked up a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master and spent the weekend dissassembling my watercooling, redoing all the pipes and installing the new board.

I used the same windows install and booted it all up. Same issue, although temps a bit better.

This morning i noticed all the Asus crap software was still installed. I uninstalled what i could as i like my Windows install tidy. However after every boot i still got asus pop-ups. I investigated further and saw services still running, and one program just refused to uninstall from add/remove programs.

Right, pissed off i googled for removal tools. Only found one that didn't really work. So i started deleting services and cleaning up the registry.

Eventually i said f*** it, and just reinstalled windows completely. I took to heart one comment i had on a reddit post about this issue, saying the Asus (motherboard manufacturer software in general) are crap. So i let windows updates install the drivers it could, then went to AMDs site and ran the auto update tool they have.

My system is finally under control. Idle temps are down to low 30's and StormWorks runs great again! 

Now i can't tell for certain whether the Asus crap caused this but i have a strong suspicion this is it.
For those of you who remember, i have a flatmate with a Asus board and the 5950x, he has similar issues. I'll have him do a reinstall, not download anything from Asus's site and do a check. 

I can't be bothered taking all the watercooling apart again to test this on my Crosshair VIII Hero, I'll stick with the gigabyte board as it has better VRMs anyways.

So, for anyone with this issue, if you have installed anything from Asus's website, try reinstall windows and do not install anything from Asus. Let windows update install your initial drivers, then run this tool from AMD to install latest chipset.

Feel like i finally have the system i payed for which is a really good feeling.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Hi buddy @spykezap 

Glad to hear you are having a stable results now. However I knew already about this. Someone had posted something here before if I am not wrong and I was doing the same for my X570 E Gaming Asus.

I had used the Revo Uninstaller program to remove all Asus stuff. But only this that installed by the drivers etc. Because I never used the Aura or Armour Crate.

However in my case things were sti the same. So I had to return my motherboard and while I am waiting a replacement or a refund I bought a new one.

Now I am waiting the new BIOS from MSI to try the undervolting guide that looks promising.

0 Likes
spykezap
Adept I

Hey buddy @Ero_Sennin,

Did you ever try to reinstall windows?
Cuz i did a deep clean of Windows and removed every shred of Asus. But it did not help. Only after reinstalling windows (on the same board) did the system eventually behave.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@spykezap 

Yes I did. 2 times. But results were the same.

0 Likes
MakeshiftApe
Adept I

So I'm using an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E motherboard and a 5...

So I'm using an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E motherboard and a 5950X (with Dark Rock 4 air cooler) and appear to be having a similar issue. I have a theory for what might be causing it, which I've written at the bottom of my post (skip to the bold text if you just want to read my theory). 

The weird thing is it seems like it started recently (or well, worsened).

When I first set up my build (20th January), I found I was getting ~45C idle, 60 to low 70s in games, and temps would occasionally shoot up as high as the high 70s, up to a max of 82C briefly when opening up apps, or when Windows Defender was scanning, etc. 

As of yesterday I noticed the machine seemed noisier than usual (one of my first observations about my new build is how it was near silent). I checked my temps (tried separate times with both hwmonitor and hwinfo64 just in case one of them was giving wrong readings), and noticed I was getting a constant ~80C while playing GTA IV.

Now that game was never the most well optimised so I chalked it up to it being that, and went on with my day. However I noticed lots of other things, including something as simple as opening Chrome or Firefox, would spike the temp to high 70s/low 80s. It seemed like my temperatures were sitting in the low 60s just browsing the web, when I'm sure they were never that high before.

The other day I did get a 1440p 165Hz monitor, and it's possible that the temps have just been higher because of that, and I never noticed the extra fan noise until yesterday - but not very likely since I'm very sensitive to fan noise, especially when the idle noise for my PC is usually almost completely silent, and it's super obvious when the fans start increasing. Still, I mention the new monitor just in case that's part of it.

Anyway, I tried various things. First I located the "Performance Enhancer" setting that was mentioned disabling earlier in this thread, but it was already set to disabled, not auto/enabled. 

Next I tried undervolting, using the Optimum Tech PBO2 undervolting video as a guide. I set a negative offset of -10 just to be cautious, and didn't add anything to the clock speeds. It seemed like my idle temps were maybe a degree better, but didn't seem to do anything for my load temperatures, which still hit 80C when I booted up Hitman 2 (1440p, 120FPS, highest settings, HDR enabled). 

I also tried updating the BIOS. I was using the 1801 beta BIOS from January, and I updated to the new 1804 stable BIOS released this month. Early testing results are mixed. I booted up Hitman 2 and only hit a max of 75C, with temps mostly in the high 60s, rather than high 70s like before.. BUT, I just tried a Windows Defender scan and the temps hit a high of 85C (that's a new record). 

---

Looking at hwmonitor right now while Windows Defender is running, I think I have a theory about what might be causing this issue.

My CPU package temp is 80C, but my CPUTIN, i.e. the motherboard CPU temperature sensor, is only 51C.

Why is this relevant? Well if you look in ASUS AI Suite, the CPU temperature reading there is CPUTIN, not CPU Package temp. So I wonder if ASUS is somehow adjusting voltages/clocks based on CPUTIN rather than package temperatures, and if said sensor readings are too low, causing it to boost voltage + clocks more aggressively than it should at these temperatures.

I seem to recall earlier in the thread someone sharing an email from an AMD rep that mentioned it could be a sensor related issue. So maybe this is it? 

Maybe some of you who are also experiencing this issue could try and check those temperatures and see if you also have low CPUTIN readings. 

0 Likes