cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Th0rHere
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

100 percent there is something wrong. As if the rules for boost are beyond agressive and temps arent it's concern.

Normally this can be fine, as temps arent really a concern aslong as they are under max and volts aren't too high, but seeing 60+ idle temps and over 90+ is beyond out of control. The CPU is pushing way to much heat for doing barely any work doesn't add up.

What's worse is the lack of response from AMD.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

After 5 days AMD answered to my email regarding this concern. So I am sharing their answer with you guys. It seems they didn't get exactly what's going on here. And I already answered them in this email that the specific issue can be found in many users with the AMD Ryzen 5950x even with different motherboards coolers liquid and air.

I also posted the link of the current thread here that we discussing. Let's see what's their next answer. I also mentioned to them that do you planning to fix this through new chipset drivers or at least inform the motherboard manufacturers to provide new bios and agesa patches updates? Hope we ll get something guys.

amd_response.png

0 Likes
Techno72
Adept I

As some people are getting 90C idle to me that is the more concerning part. The problem is the issues aren't widespread enough and the data is all mixed even now I can't reproduce the 90C idle that I once had. Gamer Nexus on youtube "HW News - AMD CPU Surge in Steam Survey, "SAM" for ASRock Z490, Intel Rocket Lake" only mentioned Ram timing instabilities for some AMD B550 and X570 although it was noted that it wasn't looked into too deeply.

If you have examples of 80-90C idle temps email them into gamer nexus it may help with awareness of this particular issue for those still experiencing them.  

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

I checked today the Asus drivers and bios in their website and I found that there is a new BIOS version. I am attaching the short changelog.new_asus_bios.png

0 Likes
Hot5950x
Adept I

@Th0rHere wrote:

100 percent there is something wrong. As if the rules for boost are beyond agressive and temps arent it's concern.

Normally this can be fine, as temps arent really a concern aslong as they are under max and volts aren't too high, but seeing 60+ idle temps and over 90+ is beyond out of control. The CPU is pushing way to much heat for doing barely any work doesn't add up.

What's worse is the lack of response from AMD.

What I'm seeing is very specific high CPU pegging, that sits outside of "normal" expectations.

Another example would be, loading Modern Warfare. The load phase sees temps really spike up to the 70s even 80s but in game, the CPU settles to low 70s (which I expect for a game pushing 1440p/144hz/ultra).

I use PCIE-4 NVMEs (Samsung 980 Pros) and it does make me wonder if that hardware utilization is somehow the root cause? Because, as I've said before, I also see massive CPU temp spikes when just running a Windows Defender Scan...against said 980 Pro NVMEs.

0 Likes
Chibi28
Adept II

I also have a Ryzen 5950X paired with ASUS Strix X570- E board for about a couple of weeks. I bought it as a bundle and it came preinstalled with an Artic Pro freezer air cooler. I saw temps at 70C just running Windows. Playing games the temp went up to mid 80s. Initially I though the temps were high bacuse it was an air cooler or the cooler needed to be reseated. So ordered a Kraken Z63 and installed and temps are still the same. Uninstalled and used Artic thermal paste and the temps are still the same.

I'm pretty sure I'm using all the latest drivers, CAM software temperature readings more or less mirror Master software readings but under Asus bios or AI suite readings the temps are vastly lower 10-20C lower.

I tried a short stress test on CPU-Z and the temps start going down to around 66C with CPU usage at 100%. Stopping the test temps go up to mid 70s. I have a video of this too. Didn't want to run the test longer as I was afraid I might fry the CPU.

Tried putting the CPU on eco mode. Temps still show 70C even though most of the cores a re sleeping.

I haven't got a clue what to do next. Normally I just build a system and check if temps are reasonable and thats it. Not a fan of overclocking and this is the first CPU that I'm having problems with.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Hi friend. As you can see a lot of people here having the same issues by using different air and liquid coolers as well as motherboards. It seems we need new bios agesa updates or new amd chipset drivers. The fact that everyone facing this is "good" because it means it's something common. I also ordered the coolermaster 360ML/R liquid cooler to replace it with my current coolermaster air cooler hyper 212 black edition.

In bios I have enabled CPPC, CPPC Preferred Cores, Global C State, Efficiency Mode options as well as TPU setting to TPU 1. Now I got max when I play Dota 2 for example 60 degree while in idle I am in 40-43. But after these settings cpu running stable at 4GHz and it doesn't use auto boost frequencies.

Until we get something about this I prefer to run it like that. I also disabled the Core Performance Boost. You may try this instead of using eco mode. I am sure you will see lower temperatures.

Chibi28
Adept II

Thanks,

I'll give your settings a go.

As you mentioned it was such a relief to see this thread when I signed up with AMD community. I was really beginning to question my ability to install a CPU cooler!

It doesn't help when every reviewer have had no such problems with the CPU and all praise it as the best thing since sliced bread!

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

If you don't mind I would like to hear if you get better results.

0 Likes
Chibi28
Adept II

Will certainly report back if I do or don't. 

0 Likes