cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

JoltCola
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Supposedly there are issues on Asus boards with beta BIOS where the VRMs aren't properly calibrated yet. That could account for higher temperatures. 1usmus is a very reliable source.

https://twitter.com/1usmus/status/1350414930751746048

Unfortunately many of us with WHEA black-screen reboot issues are forced onto beta BIOS with AGESA 1.1.9.0 or 1.2.0.0 to avoid the reboots, so we really have no choice but to use them. If you can use a non-beta BIOS, you should do so.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Hi @spykezap 

First of all welcome to the 5950x club. It's also interesting how many of us we joined these forums after we got this CPU and we are trying together as a team to find any solution.

It's really crazy to know that you are using custom loop 2x360 and getting these crazy temps too.

If I am not wrong your motherboard should have an amazing setting that is called Dynamic OC Switcher. This will definitely help you if you enabled it. It should be in the A.I Tweaking tab and in the CPU core something if I remember right.

I do have also the Rog Strix X570 E-Gaming and recently I tried some other options in BIOS and I had GTA 5 online ultra settings (with rtx 3090), opened Firefox with many tabs on the background and the Steam as well.

And I reached 87-89 degrees Celsius while I am using the CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 360R AIO that I recently changed from an air cooler.

I even tried some other guide from a YouTuber that uses the Dark Hero Croshair 3 and the CPU reached 100+ degrees and for safety I got a PC reboot.

Now we just hope for a new BIOS and AGESA updates that they can handle this CPU and its voltage to normal values. Even if AMD mentioning that this CPU is made to run easily to 95 degrees, I still fill anxious and uncomfortable to run it more than 80 degrees.

Hope we can find a solution finally here.

0 Likes
giboune
Adept I

Hello guys...

I still have a look on this discussion, but I repeat... for me it's pretty good now... I didn't use the new BIOS... still 3001 version.

I disable PBO and CPB but active TPU1. I'm at 4000MHz and my result in Cinebench R23 is better than in stock with PBO and CPB. And temps are really better, 41°C idle, 46°C on the web (video), 69°C in Cinebench, 60°C in RDR2...

With only 1 fan in front, 1 for Ventirad and 1 back... and fans speed courbes are very low to decrease noise. I have 1 fan disable but I keep it for this summer, and I probably should increase fans speed.

But I'm happy with this today. On RDR2, my 3090 is at 72°C and CPU at 60°C during a 2 or 3 hours gaming session.

For me the problem comes from GPU now. Because noise comes from it... but 3090 are pretty hot in normal use. I can adjust fans speed to have a less of noise without exceeding 77°C. I will try it.

So I can only advise you to disable PBO and CPB and active TPU1. I think active TPU1 is enough because it probably disable automatilly PBO and CPB (not sure).

0 Likes
spykezap
Adept I

Hi @Ero_Sennin,

Yes i literally signed up just to join this thread haha, it's really bothering me now after installing the custom loop.

I mean my temps are not as crazy as the non-custom loop dual 360 rad owners, but it's much higher than it should be. As mentioned, now after enabling PBO it's down quite a bit and the idle voltage is lower as well.

As you can see here, this 5950x owner recieved a update and now his board is behaving and he's seeing temperatures you would expect with a high end custom watercooling loop (close to ambient temps).

I totally agree with you, even if the CPU is designed to run at 95c, it shouldn't with sufficient cooling.

I will play around with the Digi+ for a bit as i got a hunch there's something there just feeding the CPU more power than it needs.

0 Likes
yardroid
Journeyman III

my own language community forum have lots of intel fan. they are always writing "bla bla bla bla intel good bla bla bla intel king bla bla intel cold". i was showed them to this picture. i was writed "pls get this score or better and get better cpu temperature with air cooler." i writed lots of thing for motivate them. they cant write anything....

they cant answer or reply from 25 december 2020...

this is stress test of cpu-z and i'm waiting for cpu temp to maximum

ryzen5900xtemperat.png

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@spykezap 

But this guy using a 5800x that is a totally different story than 5950x buddy. Here there are people with Kraken z73 and they got crazy temps too. And we are talking for a not cheap AIO right? Something's happening here and the funny thing is that AMD and MOBO manufacturers staying silent. For example I just updated now the BIOS with the newest version (beta) that came yesterday and still no differences :/

0 Likes
spykezap
Adept I

@Ero_Sennin 

Sorry you are absolutely right, my mistake.

I also updated today to latest (probably same as you)  and i saw no difference either. Only positive difference i've had is enabling PBO as it seems to override some "stock" voltage settings that are not right at all.

Was thinking about contacting ASUS. I find it so interesting my flatmates x570-E Gaming doesn't have this issue. 
We even swapped CPUs, to make sure my CPU wasn't the issue, saw exactly the same result. So the issue is the MB, not the CPUs.

0 Likes
yardroid
Journeyman III

i'm reading in this post. lots of asus motherboard user writing temperature problems. i'm used prime x370 pro. and now tuf gaming b450m pro s. used ryzen 1700. 3700x now 5900x. my cpu cooler arctic freezer 33. i never see temperature problem. but when i'm see some other problem when im contacting asus support they are not usefull. they are pass the subject. sample: i cant use linux manjaro normaly after agesa combov2pi. there is "no irq handler for vector" problem. msi fixed problem with agesa 1.1.9.0 bios releases. asus cant :D their support saying this is not our  problem pls contact with linux developers.... problem is totaly about bios.  i'm very old computer seller. msi boards was best for amd ( from semptron time ). my mistake is buying asus board. i can write lots of msi motherboard advantages. 

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@mickyfin But still 5950x is different from 5900x. Also @yardroid I had also contacted Asus but I don't get any answer. I also contacted AMD and they had the answer "It's fine to run in 95 degree cause it's made up handling this" Well that wasn't that satisfying while it looks like an easy excuse to me (wish I am wrong).

They have released 4-5 BIOS from October but it doesn't seem to have any difference in temps even with a different AGESA every time. And I also can't understand why they don't add the option Dynamic OC Switcher to the other Asus motherboards that supports Ryzen 5000 and only the Crosshair III Dark Hero has it.

It seems we are not going away soon enough from this article :smileylol:

0 Likes
CalinB
Adept III

The Crosshair viii hero wi fi does not have the dynamic oc switcher, just the dark hero mobo has it.

0 Likes