Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ero_Sennin
Elite

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Hi again friends,

I finally got yesterday my AIO and my MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X and today I installed them. I also used the thermal paste CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker.

Of course the PC needs to run 1-2 days if I am right for the paste to get along with the AIO etc. However if you see my previous post above, with my previous air cooler I had 78 degree in the Benchmark I run while now I got 72 and this just instantly after I installed the AIO and the GPU.

All the settings are in stock with PBO and CPB enabled as well as my ram at max speed of 3600MHZ and with changed timings to achieve the best I can from them.

I think the new BIOS did some positive work compared to previous times that I was getting more than 80 degrees.

0 Likes
deepcuts
Adept II

I keep hearing "settings are in stock with PBO"
PBO is overclocking and it is not enabled by defaults on any boards I tested.
Any board manufacturer enabling PBO by default deserves both my middle fingers.

astrosquirrel
Adept III

@deepcuts wrote:

I keep hearing "settings are in stock with PBO"
PBO is overclocking and it is not enabled by defaults on any boards I tested.
Any board manufacturer enabling PBO by default deserves both my middle fingers.

THANK YOU!! Somehow what I've been trying to get accross :)

0 Likes
trek
Elite

Let's hope that PBO was active by mistake on some motherboards, also AMD recommends to disable explicitly PBO for reviews to make sure results are stock (PBO disabled, not Auto).

However in some reviews I have seen Cinebench R23 score 30k, this is not possible without PBO and increased limits, 30k is not typical score at all, therefore all reviews for Ryzens 5000 are rendered invalid because one cannot be sure what setting was active during test (early bioses for Ryzens 5000 could have bugs, etc. etc.), so it is better discuss scores in forums and take reviews with a grain of salt .

0 Likes
Chibi28
Adept II

PBO was enabled on my board when I got it...well auto, but something was auto overclocking the CPU to make it run in Windows at 70C plus.

0 Likes
JoltCola
Adept III

FYI, "auto" means disabled when it comes to PBO. No motherboard should have it enabled by default.

Precision Boost (as opposed to Precision Boost Overdrive) will still boost your CPU based upon default temperature and power limits even at bone stock. PBO simply increases those limits.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@deepcuts 

In my Rog Strix X570 E- Gaming the PBO is enabled at stock settings with the option Auto.

0 Likes
giboune
Adept I

It was enable in stock for me too... in auto.

Rog Strix X570 E- Gaming

0 Likes
JoltCola
Adept III

Again, PBO set to "auto" is synonymous with "disabled". It's stupidly written.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

So @JoltCola This could mean that also other settings that are set in Auto option, could be meant as disabled? This is critical mistake then from the manufacturers if you ask me. At least for me.

0 Likes