Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

giboune
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Just to tell you.

I disable PBO (for sure) and CPB.

And if I enable CPB (without PBO), I have frame dropping in my games.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@giboune 

These settings are disabled as well from my end. Sad to hear about the frame drop. Wondering when we ll be finally available to use this CPU to its max potential 😔

0 Likes
astrosquirrel
Adept III

@Ero_Sennin wrote:

Well if you get max 85 degrees with 4.6-4.9GHz, it's good enough if you ask me. In the photo you saw above I have voltages settings in Auto. I just used the TPU 2 settings from the BIOS. Did you change the vcore to 1.48 and just the CPU frequency or something else too?

1.48/9 is about the max voltage that the board is throwing at it with CPB and PBO enabled. Doesn't mean it's always there. It can go down to 1.25 but never seen it lower than 1.24 so far. 

I agree with the statement that this is good enough. I'm happy with that and going by what AMD are saying, we should all be. I even dialled back my fan curves now.

Looking at the information from AMD, I fall right bang on on what their guidance is.

vgRsY4p.png

Dynaverse
Journeyman III

So far I disabled PBO from the motherboard bios and it helped lower everything by around 5c. I also ripped off my old air cooler which was more than fine to cool my 3950x and replaced with a Kraken X63. Now its running 70c in windows and about 80c in gaming. Still too hot. Looking for solutions to bring it down a little more. For some reason the boost clock pushes this thing to around 4.9 Ghz when it can, it's way too hot lol. I'll fiddle with it some more. Had I known it would be this much tinkering I would've just overclocked my 3950x and forgot about the 5950x honestly. 

How many years can a chip last running at these temperatures? I doubt it will go over 3 years.

0 Likes
Chibi28
Adept II

@astrosquirrel wrote:

@Ero_Sennin wrote:

With the settings I mentioned before in my posts here, I am getting these temps when using Vegas Pro. I am sure it will be higher later. Imagine if the frequency was at 4.9GHz now with auto boost, how much more temps I could have? Because now it's in 4.1GHz for all cores. Or am I wrong? I selected only the CPU for rendering while I still waiting my new GPU and my current is just a GTX 970 G1 Gaming. And I still waiting my AIO liquid cooler. This is with CoolerMaster 212 RGB black edition.

I guess that would depend largely on your voltage at the time. If I'm not mistaken on your image, it's hovering around the 1.14 volts. 

On my end, at 4.6 - 4.9GHz at 1.48/9 volts, it can get to around 80-85. Never seen it past the 85 degree mark.... but that's because it clocks down to 4.6

I wonder why its throttling when AMD says 90-95C is normal.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@Chibi28 

Well, when the friend above mentioned that he got frame drops, I guess this is not smooth or normal or a stable behavior for a CPU that costs 900€. And I don't think he is using a low level GPU.

0 Likes
astrosquirrel
Adept III

I wouldn't say it's throttling. Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. It goes up and down between 4.6 and 4.9, which is the expected behaviour as that's the boost clock for single core and not the base all core clock :).

0 Likes
giboune
Adept I

Hello,

I would like to retry to use PBO... to see the difference.

But when I turn it enable the frequency remain stable at 4000MHz, on TPU1.

How can I retry with PBO ?

Thank.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@giboune 

I think you need to change the setting of TPU 1 to Kee Current Settings and then enable PBO and CPB, restart and try again.

0 Likes
giboune
Adept I

I can't have a variable frequency like in stock with PBO.

I really replace every options like before change, but it's 3400, 3600, 4000MHz stable, depends CPU core ratio 34, 36, 40...

With PBO and CPB enable, but frenquency still stable.

Can you return at stock ?

0 Likes