Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Adept II
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

@giboune 

You stated you have a Noctua cooler, but gave no model.
No motherboard model also.

You also asked how to disable PBO, but never said if you managed to find the option in BIOS and if you disabled it.

Help us help you and eazy with the !
I am pretty sure no AMD employee ever comes to this forum.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

OK.

Noctua nh-u14s, Asus Rog Strix X570E Gaming.

Yes I disable PBO.

Now I'm close Steam and GamePass at windows starts... -3°C in idle really.

Idle 43°C...

On internet 51°C...

In game between 63 and 77°C.

It's start to be good, but CPU is not use at his full power, I can see it on benchmark.

And curious thing in stock Cinebench was runing at 66°C (games around 75/80) and now Cinebench is at 70°C...

Everything is cooler but benchmark is hottest with change.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

@giboune 

If in games your temperature rises more than with benchmarks, it is because of your GPU that is exhausting heat and dumping it onto your CPU cooler, VRM and RAM.

That is why an AIO is better. Put the AIO in front of the case to draw cool air. The exhaust on the top and rear of the case for better all-around temperatures.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAMxZgvves

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

The max stated boost speed is exactly that.. a boost.

It should be hitting or close to it's stated peak but not across all cores sustained.

Then depending on MB and cpu performance settings the 570 & fairly sure 550 have features to increase the boost rate as well as increase the time it runs it. 

For some reason, definitely on Asus boards at least performance Enhancer is set to Auto which basically means on. Essentially it just trys to hold the boost rate until either heat, power draw limit etc. nears max limit then backs off, and up and down it goes..

Changing Performance Enhancer from Auto to Default will run the precision boost at true stock rates, brings most I've seen from hitting Near low 80s back to mid 60s - low 70c.

There are also options to set a lower thermal trigger point for the enhanced boost so it drops it back a earlier than the 80ish C it hits when in Auto...

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Thank you but I really don't want a AIO.

I will wait BIOS update, hope BIOS update...

For the link, thank you... but I don't speak english... lol

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Try to disable PBO then manually overclock your CPU, my 5900X runs hot as well on stocks settings. I'm getting around 88-90c on Cyberpunk (BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 cooler).  I've set CCX0 = 4.6ghz and CCX1 = 4.2 ghz @ 1.2V, now i have much stable system (no random restarts) and better temps. Now getting around 78-80c on Cyberpunk (no AC) running, (w/ AC) less 4-5c.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

I realize that when you choice a frequency by using CPU core ratio to 36.00 for exemple... even if you let boost enable, the temps are stable, no more big peak when you open your brower... before I changed it, when my wallpaper changed, the CPU temp took 10°C, now it's really stable.

So frequency stays all the time at 3600 and temps are really stable... too high, because more than 50°C when you navigate on internet it's too high.

But it looks like better for me... and boost is enabled in the BIOS. But it looks like not enabled in using.

Now my temp on MSI Afterburner is almost "flat".

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

@deepcuts 

This is what should happen.

But I really can tell you that in stock when I first used this computer temps reached 66°C with Cinebench... and 80 in game (RDR2).

After changed... 70°C with Cinebench, and 65°C in games (RDR2)... with the same GPU stock (3090)

It's very strange !!!

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Since I was writing from the start of this thread and it's been 3 weeks I have my new PC and trying different stuff, I want to say what I noticed about this high temps. It seems that the reason we get high temps in the stock settings, is the auto boost. And that's because when I see with monitoring software the voltage fluctuations when the CPU jumps from 3.4GHz to 4.6 or 4.9GHz, there I get high temps.

So in first hand I used the Ai Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P. option that automatically sets my ram at its max speed of 3600MHz and the timings it needs. I also changed the RAM command rate from 2T to 1T.

Then I disabled PBO, CPB and enabled, CPPC, CPPC Preferred Cores, Global C State, as a friend here in the article mentioned before. But except that, I did some tests by changing the TPU setting from Keep Current Settings to TPU 1 and TPU 2. I now get the CPU frequency from 3.4GHz to 4.0GHz on TPU 1 and 4.1GHz on TPU 2 permanently and stable along with auto voltage setting always.

And now it seems the voltage is about 1.04v to 1.14v but also the temperatures in idle mode with Chrome running many tabs opened and some other light software, are about 39-40 degrees Celsius.

And keep in mind that I am waiting the liquid cooler to arrive and I am just using now the Air Cooler CoolerMaster 212 RGB Black Edition and total 9 CoolerMaster fans that I am using them at full speed permanently in my Asus Rog Strix X-570 E Gaming motherboard.

And because I also wait my new GPU to arrive and using and old GTX 970 G1 Gaming, I just play Dota 2 and Little Hope in ultra settings 1080p @ 144Hz and the max temperatures were 57-60 degrees. When I tried to stress CPU with CPU-Z, I reached 66-67 degrees.

So what I want to say now in the end is the following. And I would like to hear your thoughts about it guys. I am thinking to try this when I will get the liquid cooler in my hands.

If the CPU can reach with the stock settings and the voltage in Auto, a boost of 4.9GHz, what if we just set our CPU to 4.9GHz and then let the voltage in Auto? What if the Auto settings could provide a stable voltage value and the CPU can run at 4.9GHz in lower temps without crashing etc? I did this in my old PC with the FX 8320 running permanently at 4.5GHz for 10 years, but in this one I had to change manually the voltage as well as the Load Line Calibration to Medium. Because Auto never worked. But what if now it can work in Auto with the Ryzen 5950x?

And if it's not. I was thinking a plan B to run again a stress test with CPU-Z while having the settings in stock values and when the CPU will reach 4.9GHz I can check the voltage value it gets in the CPU-Z monitor values at that time and then use this value for the CPU manually in the bios.

I may also saying no sense stuff here who knows? But I am really trying to find a way every day that we can enjoy this beast CPU at its max capacity finally. And we are not getting lately any feed from AMD or another new bios / agesa updates from Asus.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

@Ero_Sennin You have 9 fans on your cooler ??? It must be noisy ???

0 Kudos