Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Well, it really is just the CPU.

ajlueke_1-1619030503829.png

Other than swapping out the CPU to test whether it is a CPU or motherboard problem, not sure what else you can try at this point.  How hot do the chipset VRMs get under load?  Anything abnormal there?

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

@BradB111 

Any luck with your issue?

Looking at the image of your loop recently, is your bottom rad setup as pull into the case over the rad? and the top pushing out of the case over the rad?  As in, are you using the exhausted warm air of the bottom rad to cool the top rad?

What does your coolant temperature rise to under load?

0 Likes
BradB111
Adept II

@ajlueke 

I've since added a external rear mounted 120mm with a filter as an additional intake. Not the most elegant solution however it seems to help with temps while mining, otherwise all the same unfortunately.

I have considered changing all to intake that way all air passing through the rads would be fresh but also I'd have to put up with the rears of the fans showing, another possible alternative would be all exhaust I guess but then I'd have to dust every other day... This is what I get for going small I guess... Last case was a 900D 

for coolant temp unfortunately I don't currently have a way to check this.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Not a big deal if you don't have a temp sensor.  Does running without the case panels on change anything?  That is an easy way to check a potential airflow problem.

0 Likes
zet
Journeyman III

Well, i'm not sure it's my fault or if i did something, in the first month i didn't encounter any CPU random temp spikes or high temps in low CPU utilization like browser and so on, but recently this issue started happening and now i am here with you guys asking myself what is happeneing, hopefully AMD comes fast with a fix on this before my CPU gets set on fire with browsing.

Also, i need to ask, how do you set the PSU from Auto to typical? Is this solving the random system crashes?

Regarding the CPU matter, i contacted AMD support and they advised me to disable C6 Global and CPU Core performance boost and from what i understood here, that sets CPU to stock values, is that right?

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

@zet 

Hello!

Disabling "Core performance boost" turns boosting off altogether, which is not stock operation.  The CPU will run at base clock all the time.  If you turn off "precision boost overdrive" that is stock operation.  The CPU will boost, but only within stock PPT/TDC and EDC limits.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

@BradB111 

I currently have my CE 420 and 280 both operating as exhaust and in push/pull.  After a timespy extreme stress test my liquid temp went from 22C to 32C.  A Delta T of 10C isn't too bad considering I am actively cooling the CPU, GPU (hybrid backplate), and VRMS.

0 Likes
dawildqc
Journeyman III

I get this exact problem on my side. ASUS Crosshair VIII Motherboard and a 5950x:

Now there is a third issue where the CPU will be fine under multicore loads and only get hot under a lightly threaded gaming loads.

-Idle temp: I get 35 to 45C
-Suddenly for no reason when browsing/opening app / defender start a scan: my CPU temp peak instantly up to 81C in Tdie Temp, after some seconds (2-3) it goes back to normal stable idle temp.
-in Benchmark or games when my CPU get a heavy load (OCCT/3DMARK) my CPU temp stabilize to 56-65C

Everything is stock, (no PBO, no overclock) with a 360mm AIO (0-60C fan curve set to ~1100RPM). My idle/load temp seems to be perfectly fine, but i keep getting random weird peak temp for no reason... I'm not sure what could be the problem. 

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

@dawildqc 

A similar issue was posted in this thread.

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/5950x-temp-spikes-of-90c-when-gaming/m-p/462317#M40067

I'm not sure that it was ever resolved.  If you turn on PBO, but manually set the limits to PPT/TDC/EDC 142/95/140 does the issue persist?  This should use the same limits as stock operation.

0 Likes
Demenzun
Journeyman III

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X based computer as well.
This is my first AMD system in quite a few years, I run mainly Intel-based hardware on all of the computers in my software development business.

I too am getting rapid spikes up in temperature when I do something as simple as launching an application, even basic apps like Notepad or HWMonitor or Macrium Reflect cause the temps to spike up into the 70C's.

My idle temps are typically around 38C-42C (20C-22C room ambient) and I get around 68C to 72C in Prime95 all-core 100% load and in games like Doom Eternal and Borderlands 3.

A couple of times my temps went over the 95C threshold and rebooted my computer to a BIOS Over Thermal error message.
I found this quite concerning.
So I did a bunch of various tests and settings to determine what the issue is and how to alleviate it since I can't have the computer randomly rebooting during use.
When I apply processor over-clocks of various settings such as 4.2GHz 1.1V and 4.5GHz 1.3V the system runs stable and doesn't get overly hot.
I did a bunch of various changes with the PBO and CPB and was never able to get anything satisfactory, I was either stuck at lower clock speeds for single-core, or the temps still went wildly close to over-thermal reboot.

So I dropped my Memory settings from DOCP back to Default, which removes the memory and processor memory controller over-clock and over-voltage, and my temps immediately dropped by 10C.
A 10C heat increase for a 1% to 3% performance boost isn't worth it, so I would recommend that anyone overclocking their memory go back to the defaults.
Some of you may argue that "you aren't getting what you paid for if you buy 3200 etc memory and run it at defaults" but using DOCP *IS* an over-clock and over-voltage on the processor memory controller.  The result will be extra heat.
This memory DOCP change to Default made the biggest difference in getting my thermals back down to a lower value for idle and full load.

I reset all of the PBO and CPB back to defaults of Auto, and I noticed that a PBO of Auto is actually Disabled (which is not intuitive), and in my PBO group of settings is the Thermal Throttle property, which is also set to Auto, so I wondered if that also defaults to Auto equals Disabled...  I Enabled Thermal Throttle and set it to 80C and now my issues with thermal reboots no longer occur and my processor correctly throttles at 80C just like I would expect and just like what I want.

Some may think that 80C is too low, but I can still easily get 4.9GHz single core and 4.4GHz to 4.6GHz multi-core no problem.
So I am happy now with just that one simple setting change (Thermal Throttle enabled to 80C) and every back at BIOS Defaults.
I am also running with DOCP set to Auto which clocks and voltages the memory and memory controller at default speeds, since I don't feel the 3% performance increase for a 10C temperature increase is worth it at all.

I took screenshots of CoreTemp and HWMonitor if anyone is interested or questions my findings.
I can also take a photo of the ASUS ROG BIOS screen showing where the Thermal Throttle setting is, but on my system it is located in the Precision Boost Overdrive group of settings.

My system hardware:

- Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh RGB White case
- AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core 32-Thread processor
- Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black dual-tower cooler
- ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi motherboard
- 128GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 memory
- ASUS TUF Gaming OC 10GB RTX-3080 video
- Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 850 Watt psu
- Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVMe 7000MB/s (Windows)
- Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe 2500MB/s (Temp)
- Crucial MX500 2TB SATA SSD 500MB/s (Data)
- WD Green 2TB hard drive (Data Backup)
- WB Blue 1TB hard drive (OS Clone)
- Ducky ONE 2 White LED mechanical keyboard
- Microsoft IntelliMouse Classic
- Microsoft XBox Controller
- Dell S3220DGF 32-inch Curved 2560x1440 monitor
- Mackie CR4 Reference Monitor speakers
- Windows 10 Professional x64

David

Tags (1)
0 Likes