Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ero_Sennin
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

@CalinB 

I wasn't sure enough then. But yes the guy in the video I posted on earlier post using the Dark Hero. But still can't understand why we don't get this option to the rest of the Ryzen 5000 support motherboards. Is it something that has to do with its hardware? Really sad thing.

0 Kudos
CalinB
Adept III
Adept III

I think it is, it’s more expensive than then hero WiFi just for this option, I guess.

0 Kudos
warpigs
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have a 5950x and an Asus Dark Hero in an O11 dynamic case + 360 galahad and I've noticed that at idle it randomly spikes to 80c only for a few seconds then goes back to 33c idle.  I get startled because my fan suddenly revs up to max randomly.  When I mean randomly, its like once or twice every 30 minutes.  I sometimes leave my PC on with no apps running and from a far I will just hear it rev up.

Anyway, I had to reformat my PC multiple times and try to add programs one at a time, observe, then add another program, then observe.

So far I've noticed that the scenario that it made it happen:

PBO enabled + XMP - no other OC tweaks .. As soon as I installed the Asus Aura/Armoury Crate RGB software, the fans started to rev up.  So I've been banging my head trying to figure out how to make it work like to the point I had to change the fan curves in the BIOS to not make it sound like an airplane during these random rev ups.

With PBO still enabled - I also tried changing the power plan for the minimum/maximum processor state to 98%/99% and that worked - no more rev ups.  However, my R23/R20 single and multicore performance drops like CRAZY so that makes it an unacceptable solution.  To the point that at 99% maximum processor state, the scores are way higher when PBO is off.

So yes, turning off PBO fixes it but it still spikes but not at 80c -- i only see 65c. 

Clearly there is something wrong regardless PBO on or off.

So I did another reformat and about a few days ago I noticed that there is a new version of Armoury Create and a new Beta Dark hero BIOS (Version 3202) and I installed both.

With PBO on and all, it finally fixed the issue.  Max temps I see at idle is only around 55c.  Its like a miracle.

Now I have 3900x and TUF gaming X570 wifi that displays the exact same issue.  I haven't updated the BIOS and Armoury create on that PC and Im curious to see if it will fix it without reformatting the hdd.

0 Kudos
trek
Elite
Elite

It is clear why you have temp spikes, it is Asus apps., they do something in bacground probably very inefficiently and AMD cpus are boosting aggresively, with PBO on with motherboard limits everything is amplified.

It was the same with EPIC launcher and other apps.

I am not aware Asus being quality software development company, so their software corresponds to that.

0 Kudos
warpigs
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Definitely agree.  But so far the latest versions of both the BIOS and the Asus RGB apps is not doing it anymore.  I'm not sure what fixed it.

0 Kudos
Streetfights
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Just wanted to weigh in with my experiences and findings.

I installed the 5950 last week in my MSI X570 MEG Unify with the latest bios (non-beta), and was seeing all the symptoms identified in this thread.
I tried PBO auto/off/on/eco and there was literally zero effect, no matter what was selected.
I observed that Eco 95W straight-up just doesn’t work, as my CPU was still running at a constant 1.48v, 4900mhz 110W+ and hitting 79c gaming.

I then decided to apply a bios voltage offset of -.100v. My temps immediately dropped to 32c - 40c idle and 48c - 55c gaming.
However, my freq is now maxing out at 3.4ghz.

Regardless, I’m just going to live with the gimped perf for now to avoid getting choked out of my office by the heat until these issues get figured out. But I’m also considering returning the processor and getting a 5600 instead because the extra power is practically unusable in its current state. Super disappointing.

0 Kudos
trek
Elite
Elite

Streefights, you bought high performance workstation processor 5950x and you are complaining about performance and related power consumption (which is btw smaller than Intel cpus and performance is much better), which is illogical.

As  5950x produces much less heat than Intel competing products which have worse performance your conclusions are invalid.

Nevertheless I have solution for you, you can set with 5950x desired throttling temperature you want in BIOS, it is called Plaform Thermal Throttle Limit and it will do what you need and want while keeping performance, set this limit to 70C if you want to have less than or equal temp to 70C for example, keep all other settings on Auto

This is advantage of Zen 3 processors, you can run them how you want. There is also new curve optimizer which allows undervolting and increasing performance - used with Plaform Thermal Throttle Limit I have better performance than stock with much lower temperatures.

bios.png

0 Kudos
Phucumol
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hi,

While i'm following this thread and trying all the things you guys mentioned, i noticed that neither my radiators nor the waterblock nor the water itself change in temperatur during cinebench.

I checked the pump: works fine

I checked the waterflow: all good

I checked the waterblock and even applied new thermalpast twice and still no difference. 

So I turned off my pump to see if there is any difference in Cpu temp and I still get around 80°C.

That's odd isn't it

0 Kudos
Chibi28
Adept II
Adept II

@trek wrote:

Streefights, you bought high performance workstation processor 5950x and you are complaining about performance and related power consumption (which is btw smaller than Intel cpus and performance is much better), which is illogical.

As  5950x produces much less heat than Intel competing products which have worse performance your conclusions are invalid.

Nevertheless I have solution for you, you can set with 5950x desired throttling temperature you want in BIOS, it is called Plaform Thermal Throttle Limit and it will do what you need and want while keeping performance, set this limit to 70C if you want to have less than or equal temp to 70C for example, keep all other settings on Auto

This is advantage of Zen 3 processors, you can run them how you want. There is also new curve optimizer which allows undervolting and increasing performance - used with Plaform Thermal Throttle Limit I have better performance than stock with much lower temperatures.

I think you're missing the point. Many people that buy a CPU don't want to fiddle around with settings once they buy it. They just want to install it and use it

If you want to tinker with settings to get extra performance thats an extra, but the CPU should work and not have these issues that everyone is seeing.

0 Kudos
Ero_Sennin
Adept III
Adept III

Hi @Chibi28 

I have seen this option but if I set it for example to 70 degrees then it means we are getting less performance because CPU will not use higher frequencies to not increase temps? If yes, then what's the point to get a 950€ CPU and not use it at its max capabilities? Foul for AMD I guess.

Also the curve optimizer came with the AGESA version 1.1.8.0 and while I tried it with negative effect for all cores and magnitude to 12, still no difference in power nor then temps.

Something's wrong here and maybe it's that we need a finally proper BIOS and AGESA update for the motherboards. Because as you can see many people with different mobos experiencing this.

If I wanted just to lower the temps in sacrifice of performance is the only easy thing. I can enabled CPPC Cores, Global C State, Efficiency Mode and use the TPU setting to 1 or 2.

That means no more auto boost, no more higher frequency and max temp about 70 which is safe for the CPU. But performance ll not be the same.

0 Kudos