Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Th0rHere
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Glad to see there is a main thread on temp issues with the 5950x.

Same thing is happening to me and I'm seeing others reporting the same on reddit. Seems there might be an bug with the temperature read outs r something.  Either that or there is a serious flaw with regards to random spikes that are causing temps to jump massively. I doubt it's the latter as running benchmarks doesn't seem to cause huge spikes itself and temps level off (albeit higher than I would expecteD) unless this is solely related to single core boost or something that is causing huge voltage spikes for a few seconds and as such the temps rise.

Hoping AMD release a statement that they are looking into this as this is concerning.

0 Kudos
Hot5950x
Adept I
Adept I

@Th0rHere wrote:

Glad to see there is a main thread on temp issues with the 5950x.

Same thing is happening to me and I'm seeing others reporting the same on reddit. Seems there might be an bug with the temperature read outs r something.  Either that or there is a serious flaw with regards to random spikes that are causing temps to jump massively. I doubt it's the latter as running benchmarks doesn't seem to cause huge spikes itself and temps level off (albeit higher than I would expecteD) unless this is solely related to single core boost or something that is causing huge voltage spikes for a few seconds and as such the temps rise.

Hoping AMD release a statement that they are looking into this as this is concerning.

Agreed, I'm having this exact issue ATM.

5950x and MSI MEG Godlike on latest BIOS, with H115i (Extreme, 1400rpm x 2 fans and 28000rpm pump) & four fans (push pull) and another 6 system fans. Razer Master on Default CPU profile. No OC in BIOS, even RAM is on its default 2133.

In Aida CPU stress tests, CPU is usually low to mid 70's and no system instability. I've even had all stress tests in Aida running, apart from disk, for over an hour and CPU and GPU temps were mid-70's. No issue. Stable.

Idle temps are mid 40's, which I'm OK with. Its AMD after all.

But then I run Windows Defender and the CPU spikes up to 90 degrees (rarely, mostly around mid 70s to low 80s) spiking up and down like mad. Even just installing a game, the CPU is running around 70 degrees.

I've even had a Machine Check Exception or two, reported by the Processor Core which just resets the machine. Random.

0 Kudos
Th0rHere
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Yeah, just opening battle.net saw a spike. Something really odd is going on here, not sure exactly what is happening but really hope AMD would at least acknowledge it if there is an issue.

I'm thinking more and more its a reporting issue instead of actual temp increase. My radiators are't really getting any hotter from the looks of it.

In comparison my 3950x never went above 50-60-degrees under any load, so whatever is happening here i feel is a reporting error.

0 Kudos
Hot5950x
Adept I
Adept I

@Th0rHere wrote:

Yeah, just opening battle.net saw a spike. Something really odd is going on here, not sure exactly what is happening but really hope AMD would at least acknowledge it if there is an issue.

I'm thinking more and more its a reporting issue instead of actual temp increase. My radiators are't really getting any hotter from the looks of it.

In comparison my 3950x never went above 50-60-degrees under any load, so whatever is happening here i feel is a reporting error.

Hopefully that's the case. I have an 8 series Intel CPU currently and although Windows Defender also spikes that to around mid 70 degrees, implicating its a CPU heavy process, I don't see the same sorts of CPU spikes for other activities.

I agree, I don't hear/see an aligned ramp in the h115i pump and fan increases when these numbers are reported, whereas when i'm running Aida stress tests, I see that increased speed and sound, which is where temps even out at a stable mid-70s (which im very happy about for a pegged CPU).

I do get that AMD CPUs run hotter, so I expect a general heat increase but the numbers I'm seeing reported are worrying.

0 Kudos
Ero_Sennin
Adept III
Adept III

I want to mention something that I tried and I saw big difference in the temperatures. If you check the previous page of this article and see my first post, you will see that my hardware is the Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming, CPU Ryzen 5950x and cooler CoolerMaster Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition. You will also notice that I had temperatures in idle mode 55-60 if I am not wrong and when for example I tried Dota 2 it jumped to 73 Celcius max. I noticed that this was happening when the cpu was auto boosting its frequency to 4.9GHz.

So today I went to Bios and I used the setting TPU. I changed its value from Keep Current Setting to TPU 1. Now the CPU runs at 4GHz in all cores and the temperature in Dota 2 was max 54 degrees Celcius. Even now that I am typing and running Chrome and Dota 2 in the background the temperature is 45 degrees. Soon I am getting the CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360R RGB liquid cooler by hopefully reduce the temperatures more.

My main thought is that at last, we may need some time until brands will release new bios and agesa patches or amd chipset drivers that they will handle cpu voltage more accurate and stable and finally we can use the cpu at its max capacity of capabilities.

Hope that helps somehow. 

0 Kudos
Techno72
Adept I
Adept I

Yes, so from what I have seen this problem seems to be on Asus and a few MSI motherboards but mainly Asus.

A few things I have noticed these temps are due to CPU ramping up to complete a task which is why you don't see a massive jump in temps because it's already ramped up working on "X" some unknown process whatever that is for others. Looking at HWinFO64 when I had those temps I could see my cores 1-8 at 4.8 - 5.0GHz  working on something (in my case it may have been the lighting service mentioned in my post above). 

I don't believe this to be a hardware error so don't worry about your aio or fans but I have reasons to suspect it is how the motherboard is dealing with the CPU in terms of software boosting or otherwise. 

I believe the main fix will be a bios update that has yet to be ironed out (looking at the Tuff x570 wifi in my case) this will also address the low scores seen in Cinebench R23.  If you're seeing Cinebench R23 results that are not close to reviewers and on Asus, I wouldn't worry.  \something like 1500-1400 single 23000-24000 multi

On the note of ram timings, some people have suggested that improving those will help with the low performance. 

Also, download the AMD x570 chipset drivers to see a small improvement in performance (I've don't know if this will help the temp side of things since my temps are fine now). 

My idle temps are now at 35 with low highs of 50-60 in full workloads.

and I'm still on bios version 2802. 

0 Kudos
Techno72
Adept I
Adept I

I don't know if this will be deleted but here is a summary of my previous post. 

A few M*i motherboards and many A*us motherboards currently have the most problems with temps.

This I believe is a software problem, not hardware so keep your new aio and fans changing them will most likely not help the high temps unless you believe them to be faulty.

Looking at HWinOF64 the high temps at least in my case were due to half the cores ramping up to max continuously with appropriate voltages so my thoughts on this are that since the heat is localized to a smaller area this makes the CPU cooler less effective hence higher temps and perceived cooler problems? (I suggest looking at the sensor data for HWinOF64 check core temps and voltage) Also, check services like ROG Live Service as restarting that service appeared to help me. 

(this might coincide with another user saying that the task manager only saw 8 cores mine, however,  did report 16 cores). 

Download AMD chipset drivers from their website for a small performance boost for x570 boards mileage varies.

My Cinebench R23 scores went from 1400 -> 1600 single and 23000 -> 24000 multi after the driver was installed I realize that the multicore is still low. For my ram timings, I'm using the XMP for a G.Skill F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC 64GB 4x16GB DDR4 3600MHz. New bios will probably unlock the rest of the performance I hope.... 

0 Kudos
Ero_Sennin
Adept III
Adept III

Hi and thanks for your post. About the AIO I am just getting it because I can see in the official CoolerMaster website that my current Hyper 212 RG Black Edition air cooler is suggested to be used for the 5800x and bellow. For the 5900x and 5950x there are different air and liquid coolers. I would go for the air one but it doesn't fit for my PC case because of its size. That's why I decided to get the liquid cooler that CM suggesting for the 5950x. About the Asus Rog Live Service, it seems I can't find it somewhere for download. Do you have any link that I could get it from? Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
Techno72
Adept I
Adept I

Not sure why you want to download it but I believe it came as part of utilities from the Asus Armoury Crate so that can be got from https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/ please check OS and motherboard before downloading. 

It is prone to being buggy sometimes. 

0 Kudos
Ero_Sennin
Adept III
Adept III

I didn't know it comes with the current utility you mentioned. I already have downloaded this utility from the Asus driver and tools website for my motherboard, but I never installed it. I thought it only helps to control rgb through the motherboard etc. I will try it now. Thanks for your fast response. Also I ran the hwinfo64 and in the sensros the temp 2 and temp 4 that probably are cores or threads of the cpu, showing 82 and 86 degrees Celcius. Don't know how accurate is that.

0 Kudos