Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

I have paired a new Ryzen 9 5950x with an Asus Crosshair viii hero, but I am suffering really high temperatures. at idle the processor is running at 75C.   Under very light load goes up to 80C

I have tried lot of things and just for clarity I am very experienced in building machines (over 25 years). 

I used a Corsair 100i platinum cooler and after several attempts to cool ( 4 reseats using 3 different CPU thermal pastes) I came initially to the conclusion it was the cooler at fault. 

Wanting to use I bit the bullet and bought a replacement cooler a Kraken X73, I installed and net result was  1C cooler i.e. 74C.  So not the cooler but something else!

I did some searching online to discover others have been having a similar issue multiple motherboards, I found some suggestions to help which were to switch my board into an eco mode (which did nothing) the next suggestion was to disable boosting (which kind of cripples the chip) , this I did and now see temperatures in the region of 45C. I don't know where the problem lies exactly, but if several manufactures are seeing then it kind of points to an AMD issue with the Chip or something they have supplied to the board manufacturers. After days of building and then re-applying the coolers I do feel a little cheated. I tried raising with ASUS but because I registered my motherboard for cash back it is saying the serial number is already registered so cannot raise a support case. I coming on here hoping that someone can give some advice and maybe someone from AMD can help.   

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Have you tried manually setting the multiplier and voltage very low to rule out a faulty thermal sensor?

What does Ryzen Master say the voltage is, as with the Ryzen 3000 series at launch motherboard BIOSs were using up to and in excess of 1.5v, which was remedied in a later release.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I too am having a very similar issue with very similar hardware. Here's my setup: Ryzen 5950x, Msi 3080 rtx, aorus master mb, corsair h100i plat rgb. Was seeing temps under mid load up round 80c. So I changed my case fans around, got it down to 76c - 78c. Granted I got the courage to run the load test in ryzen master once. Pumps and fans for corsair are all on extreme. Ordered a 360mm z73 kracken. Hoping to atleast see a max of 60c. I know specs say 90c max, but cant possibly expect it to last over long term at those temps. I hope this upgrade from the 240mm to 360mm aio helps cpu temp stay down. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I saw a peak core voltage go up to a max of 1.48v stabling out around 1.40v. Idle tho I'm having peak core volts of 1.13 -1.15v and temps down at 37c. Random spikes now idle its jumping from 38c to 60c doing nothing. If you got any ideas let me know I'm all ears! Here or email me wyproindustries@gmail.com 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Yeah at idle it looks little bouncy going from low peak core volts 1.1 ish up to 1.4. But when stable and not bouncing cpu power is 17w 18w 1.13v peak 38c 39c. If you open something it spikes real hard also random spikes here and there at idle.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Thanks for the suggestion I think the thermal sensor is Ok as after switching the boost settings to disabled the temperature drops to 40-45C.

Interestingly the peak voltage is around 1.47v when the boost is on and I get the high temps, and around 1.1v when disabled and temps of 40-45C

This is my first Ryzen so not that familiar with Ryzen Master or how it works but I had to go directly into Bios to set the boost setting.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hi,

I had the same issue with my build.

x570 Asus tuff wifi plus bios v 2802

5950x

aio 72x Kraken 360mm (used cam beta software to fix not seeing CPU temps)

push-pull fan config 1exhust at back + two on top and 3 intakes at the front with rad. 

Restarting the ROG Live Service dropped temps from 66C (idle) to 45C (idle)  leads me to think this is a software issue perhaps you could confirm and the people on this topic if that service or another is causing a problem by going through the services in task manager and restarting the ones taking CPU% to check.

After the fix, my avg temps have been 40-45C on idle and  50-66C on high load, and  I haven’t seen anything higher than 66C so far since the apparent fix.

My email J.Rentmore@outlook.com should you wish to get in touch. 

0 Kudos