cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

So it seems like there are a few different issues going on here.  My recommendation for setting up Ryzen 5000 series is the following:

From default UEFI settings first set your RAM speed and timings in "extreme tweaker".

Then go into the Precision Boost Overdrive settings under AMD Overclocking.

Turn on Precision boost overdrive, and manually set the scalar to x1, auto overclocking to +100 and the PPT/TDC/EDC limits to 142W/95A/140A.  These are the default settings for a 105W TDP Processor.

Run a multithreaded load like Cinebench R23 and note your temperature and voltage on the multithreaded load (Ryzen Master, HWIFNO). 

Also run OCCT small data set/extreme/constant workload (1hr), and large data set/extreme/variable to check for errors.  If everything is fine, proceed to the next step.  If the processor is running hot here, either there is a problem with the installation of the cooling block/thermal paste, or there is a problem with the IHS on the CPU.  In the latter case an RMA is the only recourse.

If temps are fine at stock, slowly raise the TDC.  Also raise the PPT by 1.5W for every 1A of TDC.  So at 105A your PPT would be 157W.  EDC is the short term boost amperage allowed over the TDC.  I tend to keep this with 20A of the TDC.

Run Cinebench or your favorite benchmark again after each increase.  Monitor voltages on multicore load and temps again using Ryzen master or HWINFO.  Keep doing that until your voltage is hitting 1.3V on multicore loads or the temp is where you want it to be.

Once that is done, you'll see that you are bound by TDC or temperature in multicore load .  You can then reduce the PPT such that both are near 100% usage when running a benchmark.

Run both OCCT sets again to test the stability of those settings.  I wound up at 215W/140A/160A (X470 Crosshair VII).  I am at 1.3V multicore load and temp is at 70C.  TDC is at 100%, PPT is at 94% when running a multicore load using those settings.

From here, you can move to curve optimizer under AMD overclocking and try to get a bit more out of the processor.

Doing things this way should mitigate the whea/BSOD errors that can occur when PBO is enabled with motherboard settings.

Now there is a third issue where the CPU will be fine under multicore loads and only get hot under a lightly threaded gaming loads.  That is harder to explain, and I'm not sure what the solution to that would be.  That does not happen with my Ryzen 9 5950X so it is hard to troubleshoot.

BradB111
Adept II

There is no issue with the installation, the IHS I can't confirm but surely very highly unlikely given so many of use have raised this issue, the boost behaviours are at fault and the common link is ASUS motherbaords. you can find countless threads all over the internet. Mostly all with ASUS motherboards. There are people in this very thread @Ero_Sennin for example who have mostly resolved their issues by moving away from an ASUS motherboard. When on manual I have clearly demonstrated there is a massive 30% change in current draw from manual to boost settings.

Why does the CPU not pull 200A in manual? 
(1.2v 140A results in stable 4.4GHz all core (by this I mean I can run day to day and not run into any issues), why even with a negative curve offset does the cpu pull 200A at 1.34v when using PBO? That is 168W vs  268W a whole 100W of power extra is drawn to achieve the same clock speeds by the boosting algorithm, this is massive.) This is in my eyes obviously nothing to do with the mount or the IHS.

Why am I able to find people quite easily getting great results on every mobo other than ASUS?

Surely it can't be this much of a coincidence. There are 4 threads on this forum I've found so far, at least 1 I've found on ASUS' forum and pages upon pages of people raising their concern on various forums if you type "5950x Temperature" into google wherever the motherboard is stated its usually ASUS.

According to this I have an mid-entry level cooler. Not a full custom loop from EK. if this is the case I could have saved myself quite a lot of money.

What Mobo do you have and what temps and frequencies are you experiencing under a single / multi core load on R20?

Disregard this, I can see you have specified this while I was writing the reply

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@BradB111 

It seems that for all the motherboards in first place, were too early to handle rightly the new Ryzen 5000 series CPU's. I am also from the first users that got the 5950x after its release. I got it in November 2020. But yeah definitely the motherboard had a problem. And now that I mentioned this, I want to say that after almost 3 months Asus accepted that the motherboard was defective.

And while more than 1 month of waiting for passed, the shop I bought the Asus motherboard from, will refund me completely the money because I refused a new replacement while I had bought already the MSI motherboard. So maybe some of you that faced issues like me could do the same.

Now I am very positive that if I had use custom loop much better than my 160€ CoolerMaster AIO, I could push the CPU more and get greater results. But for the mid tower case and the AIO I use , what I found stable for me it's the current BIOS settings I use that provides me max temperature in stress 80c and about 4600-4625MHz in multi core boosts. Single thread though reached 5GHz to 5.1GHz.

I can share my settings with anyone if he needs. As I mentioned before, I have used DRAM Calculator to reach the best settings about timings and voltages for my 3600MHz RAM CL16 and then manual PBO limits and Curve Optimizer negative per core values.

If I use stock settings with PBO enabled, the CPU in the PassMark will give higher score but it will also reach 90c and then it will throttle for safety. But this process may leads to spikes while gaming etc. so I preferred to avoid that and use the settings I mentioned after a lot of testing and reading in articles.

0 Likes
BradB111
Adept II

I have had mine since Nov 2020 also I purchased on release day.

I have also found something else in the past. This is what happens is I apply a -0.1v offset to the core:

BradB111_0-1617730439218.png

Why is 1 of the CCDs acting different than the other, this is just a whole CPU voltage offset. This further confirms possible BIOS issues in my eyes.

0 Likes
Kalistas_82
Adept III

I just finished another build with a 5950X - nearly the same temps as my 5900X.

First thing i would check is that PBO is set to Auto (which means disabled).

And that every fancy Mobo crap like Game Boost / Core Boost or F*myTempsUpBoost setting (whatever that is called on ASUS Boards) is off.

Then check the Temps with the real Stock Settings... an EDC of 200A like in one of those screenshots is def. not default/stock

0 Likes
BradB111
Adept II

I am aware 200A is not stock, I have shared that to demonstrate the voltage offset control on ASUS doesn't even work properly

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@BradB111 

I can't say something 100 accurate regarding this because I don't use Ryzen Master. I did once but I didn't really like it. If you ask me, the best thing is to give your self manual tests with patience. Yeah I know it takes time and it's a pain in the... but it seems this is what really worked for me. Neither Ryzen Tuner couldn't help me.

So I had to first find the best settings for my RAM and make it stable and then find my best cores of my CPU and try playing with Curve Optimizer per core which I did. And after that I tried ran 2-3 times the OCCT test for both CPU and RAM and the 1 hour test passed.

Until now I don't have any issues so I have to see in time if it continues like this.

0 Likes
BradB111
Adept II

I only use ryzen master for quick changes before committing to make changes in bios and monitoring as the temps and clocks are the most accurate without needed many different apps open. I don't use it for tuning (for obvious reasons). 

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@BradB111 

Yes I understand. But since you don't have to change any voltages and if you change the curve by just an offset of 5 in every step, you don't have to worry for anything about damaging the CPU.

0 Likes
BradB111
Adept II

I know I don't have to. I am just demonstrating there are clear issues with how ASUS boards handle voltages and current. as I've said from the beginning, we need to get in touch with ASUS because it is simply not correct and I have shown it clearly... also many people experiencing these issues have ASUS boards.

0 Likes