cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

inetwebguy
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

I have a strange issue where my 5950X is running at 74 C at "idle", but under load drops to low 60's??

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

0 Likes
MakeshiftApe
Adept I

Just an update to my previous post. Since my theory was that the CPUTIN sensor was causing ASUS to overvolt and overclock when temperatures were high - I figured the best thing I could do is try to undervolt the CPU.

I was already using a -10 offset in the PBO2 curve optimiser, but I decided to also try just a negative offset to VDDCR (CPU voltage). I set an offset of -0.0875 since I saw someone else mention using that.

For reference, the full BIOS adjustments I've made:

• DOCP profile for RAM enabled to set RAM to 3600MHz CL16 (Note this DOCP profile was enabled before, so this isn't a new change - but just including it for the sake of completeness)
  • PBO2 set to advanced
  • PBO2 limits set to disabled
  • PBO2 curve optimiser set to all-core, negative offset of 10
  • VDDCR set to negative offset of 0.0875.

Regular PBO is disabled, and nothing else has been changed. I also didn't add any MHz to PBO2 in the setting, it's still set to 0.

Booted up and did some testing. I don't wanna jinx it since it's only been running for a little bit, so I can't fully confirm yet if it's stable, but I have done a couple Cinebench runs and played some Hitman 2.

So a quick temperature comparison:

Idle:

• Prior to any changes: 48C
  • After BIOS update and curve optimiser: 45C
  • After BIOS update, curve optimiser, and -0.0875 VDDCR: 43C
  • Change: -5C

Low intensity tasks (like writing a post here):

• Prior to any changes: Low to high 50s
  • After BIOS update and curve optimiser: Low 50s
  • After BIOS update, curve optimiser, and -0.0875 VDDCR: 44-48C
  • Change: -5-10C

Browsing the web with multiple tabs etc: 

• Prior to any changes: 60s, spikes to 70C
  • After BIOS update and curve optimiser: High 50s/low 60s, spikes to 70C
  • After BIOS update, curve optimiser, and -0.0875 VDDCR: Low 50s, spikes to 60C
  • Change: -10C

Playing Hitman 2: 

• Prior to any changes: Mid 70s, spikes to 80C
  • After BIOS update and curve optimiser: ~68-69C average, spikes to 75C
  • After BIOS update, curve optimiser, and -0.0875 VDDCR: ~66-67C average, spikes to 71C
  • Change: -5-9C average, -9C peak

Playing GTA IV:

• Prior to any changes: Constant 80C
  • After BIOS update, curve optimiser, and -0.0875 VDDCR: ~77C average, spikes to 79-80C
  • Change: -3C average, no change to peak

Windows Defender full scan:

• Prior to any changes: ~80C average, spikes to 83C (I think this lower spike is explained by me closing the app a lot quicker and not leaving it run. Otherwise I think it would easily have hit 85C+ like the other runs)
  • After BIOS update and curve optimiser: ~80c average, spikes to 85C
  • After BIOS update, curve optimiser, and -0.0875 VDDCR: ~70C average, worst spike was 85C for a couple of seconds, and it spiked to 77-80C a few times, but then would come down to low 70s again.
  • Change: -10C average, no change to peak

Across the board it's definitely made a big difference to temperatures, but in some areas more than others. GTA IV seems badly optimised and still runs ridiculously hot. Windows Defender peak temperatures are still ridiculous, but the average temperature is literally 10C lower, a huge difference. Low intensity stuff like web browsing sees a similar ~10C drop. 

What's interesting too is that I ran Cinebench R20 (both single and multi core) and Cinebench R23 (just multi-core).

Previous scores were:

R20:

• Single-core: 604
  • Multi-core: ~9600

R23:

• Multi-core: ~25000

Current scores:

R20:

• Single-core: 609
  • Multi-core: 9954

R23:

• Multi-core: ~26000 (forgot to write down exact number, but it was just barely over 26K)

(I'm aware these scores aren't amazing for a 5950X, even after the changes - but since it's still lightning fast I'm happy with them and have no intentions of RMAing just for hopes of winning the silicon lottery and getting a better chip.)

So as well as lower temps I'm getting better performance. That might be because of PBO2/curve optimiser though and not the additional voltage offset I applied. Perhaps best of all, my fans aren't having to spin up as much so my PC is mostly staying close to silent. (This was what was annoying me before more than the temps themselves, since I'm aware AMD has said these temps are safe)

If you're still struggling with the temps, might be worth trying a small negative voltage offset to VDDCR and seeing if that helps. Just be sure you know how to clear CMOS on your board in case you set it too low and it's unstable.

I might try a bigger one like -0.1 instead of -0.0875 if this is still running stable after a day or two, but for now I'm happy to at least not be seeing sustained 80C temps anywhere anymore. 

Tags (1)
mrsense
Adept II

Instead of offsetting VDDCR, you should play with TDC and EDC within PBO2 settings.

Also, try negative 10~12 for the 4 best cores, negative 15 ~ 20 for the remaining cores in the optimizer setting.

0 Likes
ghostwheel2000
Journeyman III

I was having the same issues 5950x with Aorus Extreme x570.

I set CPU VCORE to Normal Keeping 1.2V

Dynamic Vcore to -0.1.000v

PBO to Enabled

Now getting Idle temps 43-45c and max temp 80c gaming arround 65-75c

0 Likes
ghostwheel2000
Journeyman III

Cinibench r20 score 11037

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@ghostwheel2000 

I checked mine. One photo with default settings in BIOS and the second photo with only PBO enabled. I didn't change anything regarding the voltage etc. I still waiting the stable MSI BIOS with AGESA 1.2.0.0 to try the undervolting guide. For now I am still in the version ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0 Patch C.

default_settingsdefault_settingsdefault_only_pbo_enabled_settingsdefault_only_pbo_enabled_settings

Well bellow 85c it's still really good to me when we talk for the 5950x. I saw a big difference after I changed my motherboard without a doubt.

@CalinB You may be interest on checking this.

0 Likes
MakeshiftApe
Adept I

@ghostwheel2000 I don't think my BIOS has a "normal" setting for VCore. Do you just mean default? Because on mine default is like 1.4V or 1.45V, not 1.2V.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@MakeshiftApe 

@mickyfin 

@ghostwheel2000 

Anyone,

Any idea regarding the following?

I tried to use PBO settings that mentioned by this guy on this video. After I did that the PBO didn't work because I could see my cpu frequency stable at 3.4GHz without any auto boosts or changing. Then I reverted to the stock settings by load optimized defaults and I only changed again the option PBO to Enabled and my RAM in XMP.

After I reboot now and even if I reset bios to default, reflash again the BIOS, having Windows 10 power plan profile to High Performance, I can see my some cores of the cpu in idle reduced to 2.9GHz, 3 and 3.1GHz. This wasn't happening before and it was always at 3.4GHz.

But the weird thing is that after using a music software that for some minutes making some process and use CPU a lot, now the single core speed reached 5.3GHz. Check the cores in the photo. I don't really know what's happening here.

5ghz_plus_5950x.png

Any idea guys? Everything else in BIOS is in Auto settings as always was. Thanks in advanced.

0 Likes
mrsense
Adept II

111.48Mhz BCLK?? 

0 Likes