Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Please stick to the topic and stop the personal attacks.

If they continue, this thread will be locked.

Ero_Sennin
Elite

@ray_m 

Hi dear moderator and thanks for taking place.

I would gladly do that if this guy stop using these anti-progressive posts by using no sense words. You can check his comments since the start and his irony about us that we are talking about issues we experiencing here.

However I respect that as you are the moderator and thanks again for taking place. I hope now we can keep this article on point. Thank you!

0 Likes
Chibi28
Adept II

I've reset my bios settings to default and had it running for about a week now. The only option I changed was selecting the correct ram speed.

Temperature is around 40-50C. Fans on case are silent until the CPU spikes and then the fans ramp up for a bit. The funny thing is the spikes happen not when you start a profram or game but rather when you shut down the program or game.

Alot better then when it was around 70C plus. So I guess those ASUS utility programs were partly to blame.

How ong do you guys stress test for?

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Hi @Chibi28 buddy

In first place I had all BIOS settings on auto and like you, I just changed the RAM speed to the xmp so they get the right frequency.

On idle I had 39-42 and when I was touching my mouse and using Chrome the temp was jumping to 70c.

After I used the benchmark CPU mark the frequency jumped higher with auto boost and I could see temps 95c.

I was using the Rog Strix X570 E Gaming. Now waiting another manufacturer motherboard to see if it was a motherboard issue but I don't have big hopes.

0 Likes
CalinB
Adept III

I think everyone who is experiencing this issues should change the mobo, especially if it's Asus. Maybe it's BIOS related, but it's good to be sure.

Ero_Sennin
Elite

@CalinB

and everyone,

Today I got my new motherboard. I replaced my Rog Strix X570 E Gaming with the MSI MEG X570 ACE. For the new users who doesn't know, I am using the CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 360R AIO for cooling and 7 CoolerMaster Sickerflow 120 Fans. The GPU I use is the RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X.

With my previous motherboard and latest BIOS (but I had tried a lot of BIOS versions), after I ran the CPU Mark benchmark, I was getting about 90-95 degrees with the BIOS in Auto Settings and only change the Extreme Memory Profile to Profile 1. Also on Idle I was in 42-47 degrees.

In BIOS screen, I was getting 50-60 degrees too with the previous motherboard. But with the new one I am getting 33-34c that is a great difference.

With the new motherboard now, I tried the same. And I mean BIOS (latest stable version) in Auto settings and I changed the RAM XPM to XPM 1. So bellow I am attaching a photo with the results. On the left is the temperature a bit before the benchmark is finished with the current - min - and max temperature, while on the right is after the benchmark is finished with the current - min - and max temperature.

(I took 2 different print screen photos of the Core Temp and I inserted again to the Windows Pain the second one on the right. So the 89% of benchmark you see is from the previous screen shot before the benchmark is finished).

So the max temperature was 72c. Compared to previous motherboard, this is a huge difference. Also when I installed the MSI Dragon Center to set up my RGB fans, during the installation of modules etc. the CPU reached 79c. However I can say I am still happy for now with these results.

I am not sure if my previous motherboard was defective at last or if this MSI handling better the CPU with its BIOS settings. But let's hope we are getting in the future more BIOS and AGESA updates that will make things even better. Hope that helps guys.

cpu_temps_max_load_auto_settings.png

BIOS screen:

Screenshot_20210130-070100.jpg

Kaopio
Journeyman III

Amazing how this is still going on. Currently I'm running a 5950x on the Prime x570 pro board with a 360 rad, 240 rad, and an EK distribution plate (the generic ll case build). Now even my 3090 temps are staying at 40 degrees which would conclude that the temperature spikes are sticking at just the CPU and as the water circulates around it cools down (or the GPU of course would be much higher). I've tried a couple things, I didn't lap the cooler which could be an option, but having a fully watercooled system and not see any spikes in the GPU just the CPU, it's definitely concerning. Was nice to see that AMD did say the temps up to 95 degrees was normal, but bleep idk about everybody else, but my 8 fans can get reallllly loud lol

0 Likes
giboune
Adept I

@Ero_Sennin 

Hello, witch temps are you in idle with your new mobo ?

Just I would like to know why you continue to try to use Auto Settings while temps are really better with TPU1 and with better score in benchmark. When I'm using my Rog Strix X570 E Gaming in TPU1 everything is good, and it's a little overclocking with better performence.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@giboune 

Hi buddy. As you can see on my post above, on the right photo the current temperature that is the idle is 36-37.

Also TPU enabled means reduced performance while the CPU frequency doesn't exceeding the 4.1GHz while auto settings that using the auto boost, goes at 4.9GHz max that means higher performance.

With Rog Strix I had also on BIOS 55-60c degrees while as you can see in the photo above with the new one I have 33-44c.

0 Likes
giboune
Adept I

@Ero_Sennin 

With TPU1 you have better performance in any benchmarks than auto-setting... I'm not sure that a 4.9Ghz peak is useful when you open your browser.

For me benchmarks are more representative. And TPU are overclocking, so it's better (looks benchmarks).

0 Likes