cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

CalinB
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Just stop arguing and let’s see how we can fix this. We all are experiencing the same issue as the new guy said. It’s the same thing, high voltages, lower performance, really high temps. Some people are explaining it differently, but it’s the same issue. 

0 Likes
spykezap
Adept I

I also wanted to add this.

On of my fav games atm is stormworks, check it out on steam if you haven't, it's cool!

Anywyas, after going from my 9900k to 5950x, performance dropped significantly. I started looking in to it, and raised a ticket on their issues page.

I've been in contact with someone from their team, troubleshooting the issues over the past few days. Eventually we found out it is the LUA script performance causing issues.
Only seen a couple other Ryzen 9 owners complaining about poor performance in this game, so i assumed it was not optimized for the new CPUs.

However, the guy from the Stormworks team wrote me this last night:

"
Can you check what chipset driver version you have? Found another guy with 5950X and there are no such issue for him. So I think it's maybe only with some boards/drivers (his version is 2.10.26.336)

On MSI X570 board

"

I checked, and latest chipset driver available for my board on Asus support page is 2.09.28.509.
Found a autoupdater on AMD's support page (checking drivers for the 5950x only gives you Ryzen Master) and it updated my chipset to 2.10.13.408, not quite as high as the MSI board.

Unfortunately made no changes to the game's performance.
I don't know if this is relevant, but it certainly adds to my suspicion something isn't quite right here. (Had my poor flatmate test StormWorks as well, he also has poor performance).

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@spykezap 

Hi and welcome too. As you understand new users join frequently here by having the high temps issues.

From the other side we are lucky to have another guy like you that uses 2 custom loop for cooling the CPU and unfortunately the temps are going still too high.

That means you are another proof that something's wrong here. I had also sent to AMD support and they answered "90-95 are fine temps for 5950x".

But we are getting spikes and that's not fine right?

We are still not sure if the problem caused by AMD or motherboards so we have to wait for further updates of BIOS, AGESA or AMD chipset drivers.

Until then I would suggest you to run the CPU in lower frequencies. You can use a BIOS TPU setting 1 or 2, enable CPPC, CPPC Preferred Cores, Global C State and efficiency mode.

This ll keep auto boost inactive and you ll probably have a stable frequency of 4 to 4.1 GHz. But at least it ll be cooler in max load probably.

Hope we can find something else to help the situation ASAP.

0 Likes
astrosquirrel
Adept III

@spykezap 

@CalinB 

Looking at my logs, when idle my voltages are dancing between 0.944 to 1.031

Once I load the CPU, any load, not necessarily full load, it goes straight to 1.475 with 1.456 being the most constant value (by eye) in an R23 multi core run.

0 Likes
spykezap
Adept I

@astrosquirrel 

Interesting. My dance is more in the 1.3 to 1.47v at idle, but keep in mind i see these numbers in BIOS as well, just to rule out any pesky windows processes hogging CPU.

0 Likes
astrosquirrel
Adept III

@spykezap 

I haven't tried that game unfortunately, did a quick check and found you on reddit :). I haven't got the game unfortunately

0 Likes
astrosquirrel
Adept III

@spykezap 

I can send you my log file, that way you can compare directly. We could also run simultaneous tests and compare. 

What board and BIOS are you on?

0 Likes
spykezap
Adept I

Hi @Ero_Sennin 

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll keep that in mind and i have indeed tested with lower performance.

However my main issue is not necessarily the high temps (although it is annoying and i obviously would wish for lower temps), it's that i'm not getting the performance i payed for.

If i could at least see those magic 5.0ghz+ speeds we all saw from the reviews, i could justify the higher temps. But right now i'm not getting that, along with very high temps.

I'll keep at it though and try to find a solution. If not i'm afraid i might just RMA the board and CPU and get a Intel chip (i unfortunately had bad experience with my last Ryzen chip and ended up replacing that with the previously mentione i9-9900k).

0 Likes
astrosquirrel
Adept III

@spykezap 

That is effing bizarre, why would your CPU be on constant high volts?. Could you send me a HW Info `log?

0 Likes
spykezap
Adept I

@astrosquirrel can't quite figure out how to DM on this forum lol!

If not possible you can DM me on reddit as you sniffed me out there