Adept III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

@Ero_Sennin 

No, only with you. Suck a lemon

0 Likes
CalinB
Adept III

No, everything is stock. I want to show this issue on stock settings. I don’t think that people need to change setting in BIOS or Master to make a product work as it is supposed to. You have some people who have no idea how to use a BIOS or Master, that will buy these CPU’s. I’m telling you, I know it’s a software issue, I’m in a fortunate position to have these systems and to check. That’s why the retailer told me I can refund it, because he know I have 2 from them + the info from AMD. It’s normal to have issues like these early days, it’s not normal not being transparent about them. But that’s just how it works, and we sit here and argue instead of being on the same side, while they make money off of us and don’t give a crap. 

astrosquirrel
Adept III

@CalinB 

I'm on the same side as you - if you also wanna be, that requires we're both civil and I'm genuinely trying to have a conversation with you.

Up to both of us then.

I agree that components should work OOTB without tinkering by the user, there, no argument. Tools such as Ryzen Master and the BIOS are there for people like enthusiast who want to explore further.

The reason for my question is because on a couple of occasions, when I clicked "Apply and Test" the settings from within RM, it would apply>restart>test and be done. Then upon checking with task manager I'd find windows only saw 16 threads instead of 32. This caused my temps to jump by about 20c on benchmarks. I reproduced this issue twice. 

But if you haven't touched it, then it's nothing for you to check.

0 Likes
spykezap
Adept I

Hi all, this thread kind of spun out of control. Sorry for wall of text, just thought this was interesting and could add to the thread.

I've been on other forums the last week trying various things without much success i'm sorry to say. Just as a refresher, i'm the guy with the dual 360 rads connected to the 5950x only (waiting on my GPU waterblock).

Something i did notice is my clocks don't seem to match AMDs advertising. 4.9 is what's on the box, however i've never seen clocks higher than 4.7 (forced to run on best cores using affinity) with and without PBO.

Reason i'm talking clocks now are due to a call i just had with a AMD representative (figured it couldn't hurt with a call). Super nice techie guy who's also doing custom watercooling on his Ryzen 9 systems.

I told him first about my (and others i've seen online) temperature issues. As mentioned, over the last week or so i've tried so many different things. And with exessive BIOS tweaking i managed to get down to around 40-45c idle. However i reset bios and ryzen master to default prior to the phone call. So 55-60c idle, 80-90c load, with two 360 rads.

He agreed that was high, but said with PBO enable (said it's enabled by default) you must expect higher temps. Fine.

So i asked about the clock frequency. Why am i not seeing higher clocks than 4.7 with or without PBO enabled? Two 360 rads are surely enough for PBO to stretch its legs no?

He said it's due the temperature restraints.
What? I did not really understand this. PBO is meant to trade performance for higher heat. I'm getting higher heat but not performance. He's telling me PBO is not boosting in single core workloads because temps are too high, and 2 360, 45mm thick radiators are not enough?

He then said every CPU is different, some will perform worse or better than others. Fine.

So i then told him about my flatmate, with a 5950x on aircooling, getting better temps and performance than me. I told him we also swapped CPUs with the same result. My CPU in his system had lower temps, better performance. His CPU in my system, same high temps and lower performance. (Also in BIOS his temps are much lower).

He could not really answer this, but was very interested. Instead of palming it off a motherboard/asus issue (which i appreciate), told me to disable PBO, run cinabench single and multi thread test and send him my numbers, along with voltages and peak core boosts. 

I thought this was interesting. I talked to (what seems) a genuine guy who expressed interest in this issue. At least after telling him about the CPU swap.

I'll send him the info and let you guys know if he comes back with anything.

0 Likes
astrosquirrel
Adept III

@spykezap 

Yeah your issue definitely is genuine. quick question, do you see 16 or 32 threads in task manager?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
spykezap
Adept I

@astrosquirrel 

I've tried pretty much everything mate. Right now i have all 16 cores, 32 threads enabled. I've tried disabling 1 CCD, hyperthreading, etc. My high temps persists.

Only way i can get temps down are changing settings that affects voltages. So curve optimizer, eco modes, even enabling PBO can actually lower idle temps.

I'm no expert, but it leads me to think some default bios value is just feeding the CPU too much voltage. As soon as some setting related to voltage or power changes, i get better temps, although i would not classify it as fixed.

0 Likes
astrosquirrel
Adept III

@spykezap 

You're right, with that setup you shouldn't be seeing those temps. I only asked due to my own experience. 

Apologies if I'm asking a question for something that you might have mentioned before, but, did you check the contact patch to the CPU?

0 Likes
spykezap
Adept I

@astrosquirrel 

No worries. I have not, as i don't really want to pull the entire custom loop apart.
But i have installed quite a few cpu coolers now over the years, and i took special care when installing this monoblock. Also, i had the CPU running on my Noctua before the monoblock arrived, and i saw the same (of course higher) temperature behaviour and reseated the cooler multiple times back then. Also my flatmate is not so into building computers, so i helped install his CPU and cooler.

Something i've mentioned in another thread, but not here.

Right after both me and flatmate recieved our 5950x and motherboards (both asus), first thing we did was testing out the AI tuner auto overclocking software (i know i know, it was just for fun).

If you're not familiar, it starts at a low clock/voltage and slowly builds it's way up.

Mine started at 1.35v, and got to 4.1ghz at 1.47v before i shut it off, it had reached 95c.
Flatmate started at 1.05v or something like that, and he got to 4.6ghz (can't remember the temp or voltage sorry) before he got impatient and cancelled the OC. 

This is when i thought he had won the silicon lottery (or i lost) and asked if we could swap to see if his chip was really that much better than mine.

0 Likes
astrosquirrel
Adept III

@spykezap 

I went back to your post:

"

I'm not running a AIO cooler, i'm running a full custom loop with 2 360mm radiators connected to the 5950x only (no other heat emitting sources connected to the loop). The two radiators have a cooling capacity of 1000w+.

When i see the 60c idle temp, the system is idling with 1-2% cpu utilization. On a cooling system with this much cooling capacity, you should see much lower temps.

Using HWinfo, i can clearly see the CPU being fed 1.35-1.45 volts in idle, this is where the issue is. It's generating a huge amount of heat because the motherboard is excessively feeding the CPU power.

To add to this, and to underline that something isn't right, please think about my flatmates scenario. He's also got a 5950x with a noctua NH15 (air cooler) connected. His idle temps are in the low 40s.

Again, we also swapped CPU's and he has the same low temps while mine have issues.

To further add to this, i am seeing the high idle temps and excessive voltage when i am in the BIOS. So not even booted into Windows, the motherboard is pushing high voltages."

I'm going to check my logs but I believe I'm getting somehow similar voltages coming through. If your idle is 60c, something is very wrong.

Can you PM me and we can share logs and I'll try to give you a hand, if you're interested.

0 Likes
CalinB
Adept III

I’m the same as you. I agree with the voltage statement. The same happens on mine. Please keep us posted with the AMD guy. I’m really curious.