cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mickyfin
Adept I

Ryzen 9 5950x Running at 74c, Is this a safe Temperature?

I have paired a new Ryzen 9 5950x with an Asus Crosshair viii hero, but I am suffering really high temperatures. at idle the processor is running at 75C.   Under very light load goes up to 80C

I have tried lot of things and just for clarity I am very experienced in building machines (over 25 years). 

I used a Corsair 100i platinum cooler and after several attempts to cool ( 4 reseats using 3 different CPU thermal pastes) I came initially to the conclusion it was the cooler at fault. 

Wanting to use I bit the bullet and bought a replacement cooler a Kraken X73, I installed and net result was  1C cooler i.e. 74C.  So not the cooler but something else!

I did some searching online to discover others have been having a similar issue multiple motherboards, I found some suggestions to help which were to switch my board into an eco mode (which did nothing) the next suggestion was to disable boosting (which kind of cripples the chip) , this I did and now see temperatures in the region of 45C. I don't know where the problem lies exactly, but if several manufactures are seeing then it kind of points to an AMD issue with the Chip or something they have supplied to the board manufacturers. After days of building and then re-applying the coolers I do feel a little cheated. I tried raising with ASUS but because I registered my motherboard for cash back it is saying the serial number is already registered so cannot raise a support case. I coming on here hoping that someone can give some advice and maybe someone from AMD can help.   

663 Replies

salve a tutti

La mia configurazione

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi AMD X570

AMD RADEON R7 200 SERIES..... Aspettando forse febbraio Asus GeForce RTX 3080 ROG STRIX Gaming OC 10G?

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 2 x 16 GB, CL18  3600 MHz

Western Digital SN850 da 500 GB

Western Digital WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD due banchi da 1 TB

Asus ROG-THOR-1200P Unità di Alimentazione Platinum da 1200 W

NZXT Kraken X73 360mm Raffreddatore di liquido

Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ARGB

cpu temperature idle 37 MIN... 46 MAX Google Chrome ATTIVO

0 Likes

@Chibi28 wrote:

High temps with gaming is not the initial problem this thread was dealing with. It was a newly installed 5950X running hot (70C+) just loading into windows

In the end problem is the same. It is - I have overheating CPU "I want to speak to manager" situation. Then AMD Director of technical marketing Robbert Hallock comes and says I want to be clear with everyone that AMD views temps up to 90C (5800X/5900X/5950X) and 95C (5600X) as typical and by design for full load conditions.

Despite this clarification some peple are still hysterical, at this point I am only able to recommend to lower body estrogen level. eat brocolli, work out.

To the first post, it is common that people report idle condition temperature but system is not idle (game launchers, rgb services, bloatware, ...), there is some background service runnin' boostin', I verified this in my case many times, you must stop all applications and services, look at CPU usage and when it is really near zero then it is idle and then report temperature.

How to check system is idle? You can use e.g. process explorer and check System Idle Process which should be near 100%

obrazek.png

0 Likes

Here's the thing. If what Robbert Hallock stated is true, why would they issue RMA's to many 5000 series owners, including me having this exact issue?  It's obvious that they are hiding something from us.

0 Likes

If you read a few pages before you can clearly see this is an issue. Identical systems with only the mobo changed show huge differences in temps.

And if you have 80+ c on your GPU while playing Cyberpunk I advise you to take it back. I have a 3090 and get 63c with Cyberpunk at max 4K, Rtx on, dlss on quality...

0 Likes

con una AMD RADEON R7 200 SERIES  Fortnite mezz'ora di gioco 57 ° gradi

0 Likes

@CalinB wrote:

If you read a few pages before you can clearly see this is an issue. Identical systems with only the mobo changed show huge differences in temps.

And if you have 80+ c on your GPU while playing Cyberpunk I advise you to take it back. I have a 3090 and get 63c with Cyberpunk at max 4K, Rtx on, dlss on quality...

There are perhaps some issues with Asus motherboard which is indeed understendable, Asus has beta quality of bioses so this means that people should create support tickets on Asus website, but this means also that there are no issues with CPUs and no AMD conspiracies.

Your claim about temperatures is very misleading because you did not provided information about your cooling solution, also it would be nice if you could provide images made by thermal camera showing temperature of graphics card and how  it is 63 max everywhere.

0 Likes

Like I said, read a few pages back. The fact that you said I didn’t  provide my cooling solution clearly shows that you didn’t read the thread. For this fact, just leave the thread for the people who have this issue. If you have these temps and see no issue in them, that’s on you, but if 99% of the people say it’s an issue, it is.

@trek 

A lot of good fans for air, a good suggested liquid cooler by amd and coolermaster, a case with glasses that have on every side and corner spaces so the air flows easy and a MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X that is really great on its cooling system and its temperature never go more than 65, aren't enough you think?

You are probably just too much fan boy of AMD as someone mentioned here and you see things with blur instead of reality.

CoolerMaster 850W Full Modular 80 Plus Platinum PSU

Asus Rog Strix X570 E Gaming Mobo

Ryzen 5950x CPU

MasterLiquid 360R CoolerMaster liquid cooler

x7 120 fans CoolerMaster

MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X

And you tell me that I need more than that for that CPU run in lower temperatures?

Well as another guy said here, go read every single post of this thread, clean your fanboy glasses from blurring and then you may understand that here something's wrong from the side of AMD or Asus instead of telling us we need better components because it makes no sense mate.

My previous post mentioning how i got lower voltages and temps by enabling PBO (i was unaware it was disabled when set to auto) seems to have stopped working for me. It's now back to very high idle temps.

I have two 360 radiators (45mm thick) connected to this miniture sun (no GPU connected) and i see idle temps at 60c+.
This is not how it should be at idle. Under heavy load i reach the low 80s, again, way too high for this setup.

If i pop in to the EKWB custom loop configurator, and add a 3090 and a 5950x and add 2 360mm radiators, it tells you the following. Now i know this configurator isn't perfect, but it's closer to what you would expect than what i am seeing. Estimated heatload 580w, where as two 360s has a cooling power of 1002w. It should be more than enough.

From previous experiences with custom loops and Intel chips, the idle temps are close to ambient (low 20s depending on your room).

I also know there's something wrong with my board as my flatmate also has a 5950x but on a x570-e gaming, and he's seeing much better temps and lower voltages at idle. It's actually such a difference that he's having better temps than i do, and he's running a Noctua NH-15 on his 5950x!

We also swapped CPU's to see if he had won the silicon lottery (or i lost) but it's exactly the same behaviour. So it is the boards, no doubt.

0 Likes

If your CPU is 60C in idle and 80C in heavy load then it looks like your CPU is not maybe idle.

Can you verify it with process explorer how is your System idle processes and PPT in Ryzen Master while idling with 60C, I would think something must be processing.

We’ve been through this, Trek. You’re stating what other people were saying in the first 3 pages. Please, read the whole thread and comment after you do that. Don’t mislead people. What he is saying it’s absolutely true, the cpu on idle has those temps. A lot of people have the same issue, and most of these people are certain their cpu is on idle. Just read the thread man, it takes 10 min to go through it. 

It's totally possible for your CPU to hit 60C at idle if you have crappy cooling and poor case airflow. But combining that with only 80C at full load, that seems very unusual to me, unless you capped CPU temp to 80C rather than 90C in PBO. Otherwise I would expect any CPU hitting 60C at idle to quickly hit 90C at load.

@JoltCola wrote:

It's totally possible for your CPU to hit 60C at idle if you have crappy cooling and poor case airflow. But combining that with only 80C at full load, that seems very unusual to me, unless you capped CPU temp to 80C rather than 90C in PBO. Otherwise I would expect any CPU hitting 60C at idle to quickly hit 90C at load.

I was running a 3700x (i know, not quite the same class) with the same cooling and case and was running at 30c during idle. This is with 1-2% usage. I changed nothing on machine except swapped in the 5950x and my idle temps (again 1-2% usage) are at 60+. Can you explain why a so-called more efficient cpu is emitting so much more heat to do the same amount of work (almost none)? Logic would say it should be cooler, no?

I should also mention my case is completely open-air right now to remove any other variables, with 6 intake and 3 exhaust fans. 

0 Likes

@trek 

Hahaha. It's so funny that you don't have any proof or arguments and you are doing these no sense questions by making someone looks so dumb or silly? 😂 Yeah we are all probably so silly here and we don't know what is Idle and our cpu was running crazy by having notepad opened and nothing else. So it wasn't at idle 😆

You are really funny buddy. Thanks for making my day at least 😆

0 Likes

Ero, I understand you might not to believe me, however if you have 60C idle and 80C in heavy load then it indicates that your CPU is not maybe in idle. There were numerous cases where some application, service or other process is continuously running.

It is probably also your case, because if you had some issue you would have 60C idle and in heavy load it would shoot very high above 90C to 95C maybe more.

You can use Process explorer application to determine whether there is some application using CPU all the time and Ryzen Master to determine power consumption of CPU in idle.

i'm with you trek lol , can't read 24 page either , this is too much , every one keeps coming to say "me too" and gives some bricolage adjustment adding to the misleading with possible other problems not exactly the same ... in fact i totally agree 80 at fuill load is absolutely normal for an AIO, so not a cooling problem ... and i fact i just see that the author of the thread did not respond after the first pages ... maybe the problem is solved for a long time ...

and 60 at idle seems ok for "cpu package" reading maybe ... depending of the tools you use to read temps ... or as you say maybe some task running in background, idle for me means cpu usage between 0% and 3% for some time , with a 16/32 core cpu , more than 3% seems not total idle for example and can increase temps , as i see on mine

@xlox wrote:

i'm with you trek lol , can't read 24 page either , this is too much , every one keeps coming to say "me too" without trying to help but in fact adding to the misleading with other problem not exactly the same ... in fact i totally agree 80 at fuill load is absolutely normal for an AIO, so not a cooling problem ...

and 60 at idle seems ok for "cpu package" reading maybe ... depending of the tools you use to read temps ... or as you say maybe some task running in background, idle for me means cpu usage between 0% and 3% for some time , with a 16/32 core cpu , more than 3% seems not total idle for example and can increase temps , as i see on mine

This why you need to read from the beginning. Most users have nerfed the performance of the CPU via settings to get to where you are commentating on. As the title of the thread says upon initial installation CPU was running at around 74C.

Honestly if the CPU can't run a few things in the background its not working as intended and hasn't been tested properly prior to release.

0 Likes

@xlox and @trek, i think you might have missed some of my points.

I'm not running a AIO cooler, i'm running a full custom loop with 2 360mm radiators connected to the 5950x only (no other heat emitting sources connected to the loop). The two radiators have a cooling capacity of 1000w+.

When i see the 60c idle temp, the system is idling with 1-2% cpu utilization. On a cooling system with this much cooling capacity, you should see much lower temps.

Using HWinfo, i can clearly see the CPU being fed 1.35-1.45 volts in idle, this is where the issue is. It's generating a huge amount of heat because the motherboard is excessively feeding the CPU power.

To add to this, and to underline that something isn't right, please think about my flatmates scenario. He's also got a 5950x with a noctua NH15 (air cooler) connected. His idle temps are in the low 40s.

Again, we also swapped CPU's and he has the same low temps while mine have issues.

To further add to this, i am seeing the high idle temps and excessive voltage when i am in the BIOS. So not even booted into Windows, the motherboard is pushing high voltages.

0 Likes

as xlox said voltage is dropping with load, I made screenshot to prove this with my 5950x

idle - 1.5V

idle.jpg

load (prime 95, blend, 32 threads) - 1.375V

load.png

if you have 1.35 in idle then it means massive load, not idle

What when you sit in the BIOS and see the same behaviour?

Your load temperature is equal to my idle temps.

I can promise you I would know if Aida64 was running in the background. 

0 Likes

bios reading are 58° by me , again everything normal in bios (i think it's "cpu package" temps too by asus)

0 Likes

@spykezap can you please post screenshot hwinfo all values (make hwinfo more columns so we can see all values), because maybe we are talking about different voltage and temp values

yep in fact i don't even see my response anymore (about idle voltage and "load line calibration") did my message have been moderated ?? wtf

0 Likes

@spykezap

No buddy. They don't miss your points. They don't even read the whole thread and they act like smartasses. Or they are too much AMD fans, or they are working for AMD (teasing here).

We all here are knowledge zero and these 2 guys are experts. By saying idle of 60c is fine with liquid cooler and throttle in 85+95c is normal :smileylol:

0 Likes

@Ero_Senninthe thread is not about @spykezap problem so please don't try misleading, it's like you don't even read what we explain ..  you just trolling here or have something helping to say ? some arguments ?

@xlox 

Haha yeah sure buddy. Good try to say lies and no sense again. Go read all our posts and my posts that I have posted also official AMD support answers and then think who is trolling who.

And I was talking in general for you both in this friend's issue. Not specific for his issue. But you try to avoid it right? Keep fanning but you can't provide any solution so I can't agree with you guys. Wish I could.

0 Likes

@Ero_Sennin 

you really don't seem to understand , maybe on purpose, that what you say as nothing to do with today last posts

one think is for sure , YOU don't work for amd (as you don't seem to know the specfications of the hardware we are talking about)....

@xlox 

Who said I am work for AMD. Of course I don't. If I had, I would already got a replacement and knew exactly how this CPU works instead giving answers like "90-95 temps are fine for 5950x"

You seem to be confused. Sorry of I pushed you a bit friend.

0 Likes

@Ero_Sennin wrote:

instead giving answers like "90-95 temps are fine for 5950x"

Nobody wrote that 95C is fine for 5950x,

• 90C is fine for 5950x in full load
  • 95C is fine for 5600X in full load

Ero_Sennin, if you really have AMD cpu (which I doubt), can you provide screenshot of hwinfo in idle and load so we can take a look what problems do you have.

@trek 

YouTube:

Screenshot_20210119-144140.jpg

Check top to see which CPU I have. And I am going to buy another Motherboard while many people here mentioning that with Asus have the most temp issues with 5950x.

Hahaha. Yeah no body said. Only the AMD CS guy that answered and you can check my post regarding this back with screenshot.

Also I am not a lier like you that talking in the air. I would gladly show you instead of you that you are only blablabla without even arguments.

Probably you are a 15 years old child that schools are closed due to the quarantine and you don't have something to do and trolling here :smileylol:

I post the Bios of the youtube guy and I post my own core temp monitor and parts, pc bellow:

Screenshot_20210119-145143.jpg

Screenshot_20210119-145248.jpg

Screenshot_20210119-145335.jpg

Screenshot_20210119-145345.jpg

Screenshot_20210119-144809.jpg

Happy now?

0 Likes

LN2 mode huh

taking photo of a video player (and then changing post , yeah sure moderator will appreciate that) .. lol now we believe you some much .. definitely troll , i take a capture of your post , so interresting

btw, MAX 74° what are you doing here if you don't want to help ?

Ero you provides shot of monitor with youtoube vide playing showing bios screen and CPU-Z screnshot taken with camera from monitor too (monitor pixels are visible).

You do not have 5950x :-)

If you have and your load temp is 74C then it is nice.

Also CPU-Z is showing min temp 52C which is in contradiction what you wrote, that you have 60C idle temp.

@trek 

I have mentioned already that I post a youtube guy screenshot to see what bios he is using and in his video he also reached 90c but he has dark hero with dynamic oc switcher and he could save the throttling and bellow I posted my own parts. Are you even watching? :smileylol: And in a previous post of mine I was asking why we don't have this BIOS option too. Maybe because it's only in dark hero a hardware thing?

And of course I edited post to add more photos. You know it needs some time to find all the photos while I have my PC already 2 months. What's the problem here? Or I just stole these parts to my home and got a photo? :smileylol:

0 Likes

It is easier to take a screenshot than camera shot.

And if it is really your system then as I wrote your min temp is 52C and load temp 74C, now where is issue in it?

0 Likes

@trek 

Do you read? Go watch this video from this guy to see how his mobo handles the 5950x and then see what all of us here with other asus mobos experiencing.

And this wasn't in full load. I got these screenshots everytime I was changing BIOS to have some values saves. But nothing changed.

When I was playing GTA V I got 87 degrees. Is this normal for a game of 2015 with a 3090 and 5950x? Who knows if I had playing more how much it could be?

I already talked with the shop I got the Mobo and I ll send it today for a check and replacement or refund.

I am really disappointed with these beta bios every little bit and no changes at all.

0 Likes

i'm tired ... sorry @spykezap hope we helped you a little to find out YOUR questionning (no real problem seen),

@Ero_Sennincreate your own thread if you have a problem, i don't really understand what you are trying to do here

bye thread ! :)

@trek @mickyfin 

Well if I had max temps 74 only I wouldn't complaining here. But I don't. I have tried so many times with auto settings, undervolting, tpu setting 1 and 2 and when I play or make full stress when I have pbo enabled and cpb I go more than 80 and I had reached also 90-100 when I run tests with Firefox opened as well with many tabs.

And I have already my system uploaded in a video recently when I got the AIO and re setup it. So you can watch it here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1glyzxIvZTt8cT4Mcs1ssDcy3vA8zIgnd/view?usp=drivesdk

0 Likes

So if you have PBO disabled you have normal temperatures and if you enable PBO you have overheating.

I think it is correct, if you want to disable power limits you will have to do custom water loop and things. When I tested PBO limits, I raised them only a little. You must adjust PBO limits according to your cooling solution.

@trek @xlox 

This photo was with tpu setting set in 1 and idle while means cpu max frequency was 4GHz and I had also enabled CPPC Cores, Global C State and efficiency mode and disabled cpb and PBO.

So even like this that I had reduced that much the cpu performance I got 50-53 idle temperature.

And do you think this is satisfying?

Also I found another photo from my 5950x before installing it as well as the rtx 3090.

Screenshot_20210119-151822.jpg

Screenshot_20210119-152247.jpg

Screenshot_20210119-152409.jpg

If you had to buy these parts and reduce your cpu performance to have temps even with AIO that is suggested by CoolerMaster and AMD and being satisfied then you are a happy customers :smileyindifferent:

0 Likes

I think there is huuuuuge misunderstanding what is idle mode. In screenshot you have temp 40C - 53C and current is 51C with massive load you see that your cores have load, so your idle temp is 40C with occasional spikes to 53 when Windows and apps are doing their things.

You are showing beatiful temperatures, it is very nice.

I have low end air cooler with fans set to minimum so I have temps 40C - 65C in "idle", this is correct and how it should work.