cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mrsense
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

"Is this the "90-95 degrees for this CPU is fine" that AMD claims? Then why the YouTubers in their reviews back when this CPU released, had not these temperatures? This is another thing mentioned by people in this thread here.

Did they had the perfect CPU units for reviews? Just saying."

Simply, yes. 

AMD cherry-picked those CPU's to the "most" reviewers.  I said "most" because there were a couple of reviewers (that I know of) who reported the 90C temperature.  Go check out Anandtech's review.  They are one of the original tech review sites that existed before Youtube.

AlienLoRd
Adept I

@trek, Hi,

@trek wrote:

Streefights, you bought high performance workstation processor 5950x and you are complaining about performance and related power consumption (which is btw smaller than Intel cpus and performance is much better), which is illogical.

As  5950x produces much less heat than Intel competing products which have worse performance your conclusions are invalid.

Nevertheless I have solution for you, you can set with 5950x desired throttling temperature you want in BIOS, it is called Plaform Thermal Throttle Limit and it will do what you need and want while keeping performance, set this limit to 70C if you want to have less than or equal temp to 70C for example, keep all other settings on Auto

This is advantage of Zen 3 processors, you can run them how you want. There is also new curve optimizer which allows undervolting and increasing performance - used with Plaform Thermal Throttle Limit I have better performance than stock with much lower temperatures.

bios.png

You are missing the point, the main issue is the high Idle temperature...

In my case it goes between 50c - to anywhere in the 70s,... from doing simple chrome tabs (or even nothing)...

Then the insanely high temperatures... Yesterday I was in flight sim, and I could see on my Kraken Z73 the processor reaching 94+c!!!

Also, the solution you suggested does not allow the processor to work as advertised... for example, I did set the throttle to 75 and immediately I noticed FPS drops / performance dop which is not acceptable.

Now comparing this to Intel... I have had intel CPUs since 286 , My last CPU (Before this one), was I7 4770k and it served me well for years! running cool and quiet. I have never seen such temperatures!

Edit: I also want to add that running a CPU with such temps is absolutely not ok on the long run,... Imagine the stress on the motherboard and components around that? I have NZXT 710i / Kraken Z73 and the side glass panel is getting even hot (I have 3 top exhaust fans (Z73), 3 front inlet fans, and 1 exhaust fan at back) And no, it's not from my GFX... My 3080 does not exceed 60c (Aggressive Fan Curve...).

Kind regards,

A.

CalinB
Adept III

Trek, mate, did you even read the thread? There are people here who are better at this than me and you, and state that this is a issue. We don’t need AMD fanboyism here, nor Intel. The solution you gave defeats the purpose of this CPU. If you have a 5950x and did the steps that you said, I’m sorry to tell you, you payed 900 bucks for a 300$ CPU. 

I agree with you about the bios support, we need to wait for ASUS to fix this, but we still don’t know if it’s a hardware issue or software. 

AMD also stated that the max temp for this CPU with a high end AIO is 80c. So, we have a contradiction there because most of the people here have high end AIO or custom water cooling that see temps over 90c.

And, if you’re one of the guys who says this isn’t an issue after hundreds of people saying it is, don’t come and waste pages of this thread. Start a blog, defend AMD there. We come here for solutions.

vice65
Adept I

La mia configurazione

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi AMD X570

AMD RADEON R7 200 SERIES..... Aspettando forse febbraio Asus GeForce RTX 3080 ROG STRIX Gaming OC 10G?

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 2 x 16 GB, 3600 MHz

Western Digital SN850 da 500 GB

Western Digital WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD due banchi da 1 TB

Asus ROG-THOR-1200P Unità di Alimentazione Platinum da 1200 W

NZXT Kraken X73 360mm Raffreddatore di liquido

Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ARGB

cpu temperature idle 37 MIN... 46 MAX Google Chrome ATTIVO

Cinebench R20 MIN 53 MAX 58

0 Likes
CalinB
Adept III

If you read a few pages before you can clearly see this is an issue. Identical systems with only the mobo changed show huge differences in temps.

And if you have 80+ c on your GPU while playing Cyberpunk I advise you to take it back. I have a 3090 and get 63c with Cyberpunk at max 4K, Rtx on, dlss on quality...

0 Likes
vice65
Adept I

con una AMD RADEON R7 200 SERIES  Fortnite mezz'ora di gioco 57 ° gradi

0 Likes
trek
Elite

@CalinB wrote:

If you read a few pages before you can clearly see this is an issue. Identical systems with only the mobo changed show huge differences in temps.

And if you have 80+ c on your GPU while playing Cyberpunk I advise you to take it back. I have a 3090 and get 63c with Cyberpunk at max 4K, Rtx on, dlss on quality...

There are perhaps some issues with Asus motherboard which is indeed understendable, Asus has beta quality of bioses so this means that people should create support tickets on Asus website, but this means also that there are no issues with CPUs and no AMD conspiracies.

Your claim about temperatures is very misleading because you did not provided information about your cooling solution, also it would be nice if you could provide images made by thermal camera showing temperature of graphics card and how  it is 63 max everywhere.

0 Likes
CalinB
Adept III

Like I said, read a few pages back. The fact that you said I didn’t  provide my cooling solution clearly shows that you didn’t read the thread. For this fact, just leave the thread for the people who have this issue. If you have these temps and see no issue in them, that’s on you, but if 99% of the people say it’s an issue, it is.

Ero_Sennin
Elite

@trek 

A lot of good fans for air, a good suggested liquid cooler by amd and coolermaster, a case with glasses that have on every side and corner spaces so the air flows easy and a MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X that is really great on its cooling system and its temperature never go more than 65, aren't enough you think?

You are probably just too much fan boy of AMD as someone mentioned here and you see things with blur instead of reality.

CoolerMaster 850W Full Modular 80 Plus Platinum PSU

Asus Rog Strix X570 E Gaming Mobo

Ryzen 5950x CPU

MasterLiquid 360R CoolerMaster liquid cooler

x7 120 fans CoolerMaster

MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X

And you tell me that I need more than that for that CPU run in lower temperatures?

Well as another guy said here, go read every single post of this thread, clean your fanboy glasses from blurring and then you may understand that here something's wrong from the side of AMD or Asus instead of telling us we need better components because it makes no sense mate.

spykezap
Adept I

My previous post mentioning how i got lower voltages and temps by enabling PBO (i was unaware it was disabled when set to auto) seems to have stopped working for me. It's now back to very high idle temps.

I have two 360 radiators (45mm thick) connected to this miniture sun (no GPU connected) and i see idle temps at 60c+.
This is not how it should be at idle. Under heavy load i reach the low 80s, again, way too high for this setup.

If i pop in to the EKWB custom loop configurator, and add a 3090 and a 5950x and add 2 360mm radiators, it tells you the following. Now i know this configurator isn't perfect, but it's closer to what you would expect than what i am seeing. Estimated heatload 580w, where as two 360s has a cooling power of 1002w. It should be more than enough.

From previous experiences with custom loops and Intel chips, the idle temps are close to ambient (low 20s depending on your room).

I also know there's something wrong with my board as my flatmate also has a 5950x but on a x570-e gaming, and he's seeing much better temps and lower voltages at idle. It's actually such a difference that he's having better temps than i do, and he's running a Noctua NH-15 on his 5950x!

We also swapped CPU's to see if he had won the silicon lottery (or i lost) but it's exactly the same behaviour. So it is the boards, no doubt.

0 Likes