Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

trek
Elite

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

@Chibi28 wrote:

I think you're missing the point. Many people that buy a CPU don't want to fiddle around with settings once they buy it. They just want to install it and use it

If you want to tinker with settings to get extra performance thats an extra, but the CPU should work and not have these issues that everyone is seeing.

That is not possible with Asus motherboards, my experience with Asus is that it takes many months to stabilize their bioses when new product is released and these CPUs are new, all motherborads required bios updates for even supporting them. If one wants things without fiddling she must buy previous generation, Zen 3 is too new.

Also AMD clearly communicated that those temperatures are OK so if one has lust to have better temperatures (below 90C which is according AMD operating temperature) that requires enthusiast interventions.

Majority of "issues" here are no issues because everything works within operating boundaries, people just want enthusiast cooling and performance results, for that one must do a lot of fiddling.

trek
Elite

@Ero_Sennin wrote:

I have seen this option but if I set it for example to 70 degrees then it means we are getting less performance because CPU will not use higher frequencies to not increase temps? If yes, then what's the point to get a 950€ CPU and not use it at its max capabilities? Foul for AMD I guess.

It is you who insist on having low temperatures while AMD said that 90C is ok, you have option to set CPU however you want and you complain 😕

I have set PBO throttle to 80C and I have better performance with curve optimizer set to -10 all core.

Setting curve optimizer alone will not drop temps perhaps, it will increase performance so you can lower thermal limit.

I understand why people are worried, when I had Intel and looked in datasheet max package temp was something like 74C and anything over that meant CPU damage in long term, but AMD said 90C is ok so it is ok.

Basically people here require fix on something that is not broken.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Are you sure is just me? Did you read every single post here since start? Probably not. And even if AMD was mentioning this, do we have to let a CPU running the most hours of the day at 90 degrees? Who's telling us that this is safe for future usage in time?

Also the only motherboard that seems to have the solution for this CPU is the Dark Hero III due to its special option Dynamic OC Switcher that if it combined with the Curve Optimizer it makes amazing results.

I have posted a video in previous post from a YouTuber that tried this. If you ask me when I run GTA V ultra settings with RTX 3090 and I am using always the Auto settings in BIOS I didn't try any overclock because I don't need it, I can see some soft performance reduce when the temps when 89-90.

Is this the "90-95 degrees for this CPU is fine" that AMD claims? Then why the YouTubers in their reviews back when this CPU released, had not these temperatures? This is another thing mentioned by people in this thread here.

Did they had the perfect CPU units for reviews? Just saying.

0 Likes
trek
Elite

@Ero_Sennin wrote:

Is this the "90-95 degrees for this CPU is fine" that AMD claims? Then why the YouTubers in their reviews back when this CPU released, had not these temperatures? This is another thing mentioned by people in this thread here.

AMD does not claim that 90 -95C is fine, if you take a look at advertised CPU specifications then e.g. 5900x has max temp 90C as described by AMD.

Your temperatures are ok, if you have 89-90C while gaming with 3090 then it is ok, if you want better you must add cooling - I suppose better case cooling, custom water loops for bot CPU and GPU etc.

Also I think that people should start separate discussion threads because every "issue" is different.

In your case I suppose cause of higher than expected CPU temperature while gaming is that you probably have bad case cooling, you can test what happens if you remove side panels etc.

Ero_Sennin
Elite

I had air cooling and I changed recently to CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 360R liquid cooling that is suggested by CoolerMaster and AMD for the 5950x. And I used an extra thermal paste not the package one. I used the CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker.

Also people here with Kraken Z73 liquid cooling have the same situations. I have posted AMD support answers to me back in some posts here while the employee were saying that these temps are fine.

But if we get performance drop I can't see any fine thing here. I have tried also guides from YouTubers and the only thing I got is even more temperature.

In one test it reached even 100 degree for a first time imagine. I am also using 7 120 CoolerMaster sickerflow fans.

I mean air flow is good and I can sense it. Anyway. As you may understand, this situation made a lot of us coming here in the forums to find a solution at all.

I just hope it's about time until we got the right BIOS. Otherwise I may request a CPU replacement or Motherboard while my PC it's just new.

0 Likes
trek
Elite

You can check this with thermal camera, e.g. while playing Cyberpunk I have following burning 3080 brick in my PC case (the most yellow color is toward 80 - 90C - color range is 40C blue to 80C white), heatsink is black due to emmisivity, but under heatsink you can see "burning" motherboard

flir-20210117-T235240

If you have 3090 you need massive PC case cooling or 3090 turbo fan version. Remove all side panels for test, you might have bad airflow with hot spots.

0 Likes
Chibi28
Adept II

@trek wrote:

You can check this with thermal camera, e.g. while playing Cyberpunk I have following burning 3080 brick in my PC case (the most yellow color is toward 80 - 90C - color range is 40C blue to 80C white), heatsink is black due to emmisivity, but under heatsink you can see "burning" motherboard

flir-20210117-T235240

If you have 3090 you need massive PC case cooling or 3090 turbo fan version. Remove all side panels for test, you might have bad airflow with hot spots.

High temps with gaming is not the initial problem this thread was dealing with. It was a newly installed 5950X running hot (70C+) just loading into windows

0 Likes
vice65
Adept I

salve a tutti

La mia configurazione

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi AMD X570

AMD RADEON R7 200 SERIES..... Aspettando forse febbraio Asus GeForce RTX 3080 ROG STRIX Gaming OC 10G?

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 2 x 16 GB, CL18  3600 MHz

Western Digital SN850 da 500 GB

Western Digital WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD due banchi da 1 TB

Asus ROG-THOR-1200P Unità di Alimentazione Platinum da 1200 W

NZXT Kraken X73 360mm Raffreddatore di liquido

Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ARGB

cpu temperature idle 37 MIN... 46 MAX Google Chrome ATTIVO

0 Likes
trek
Elite

@Chibi28 wrote:

High temps with gaming is not the initial problem this thread was dealing with. It was a newly installed 5950X running hot (70C+) just loading into windows

In the end problem is the same. It is - I have overheating CPU "I want to speak to manager" situation. Then AMD Director of technical marketing Robbert Hallock comes and says I want to be clear with everyone that AMD views temps up to 90C (5800X/5900X/5950X) and 95C (5600X) as typical and by design for full load conditions.

Despite this clarification some peple are still hysterical, at this point I am only able to recommend to lower body estrogen level. eat brocolli, work out.

To the first post, it is common that people report idle condition temperature but system is not idle (game launchers, rgb services, bloatware, ...), there is some background service runnin' boostin', I verified this in my case many times, you must stop all applications and services, look at CPU usage and when it is really near zero then it is idle and then report temperature.

How to check system is idle? You can use e.g. process explorer and check System Idle Process which should be near 100%

obrazek.png

0 Likes
mrsense
Adept II

Here's the thing. If what Robbert Hallock stated is true, why would they issue RMA's to many 5000 series owners, including me having this exact issue?  It's obvious that they are hiding something from us.

0 Likes