Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

CalinB
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

Hello,

is there any fix for this problem yet? I get 91c in Prime 95 benchmark, 82c in Cyberpunk and the fans are at 100%.. I got the new bios update and it’s the same.

5950x

3090 rog strix

crosshair hero viii wi fi

corsair vengeance 3600mhz

nzxt x73 aio 360mm

Settings are on stock, pbo enabled, xmp enabled.

Thanks!

0 Likes
astrosquirrel
Adept III

@CalinB wrote:

Hello,

is there any fix for this problem yet? I get 91c in Prime 95 benchmark, 82c in Cyberpunk and the fans are at 100%.. I got the new bios update and it’s the same.

5950x

3090 rog strix

crosshair hero viii wi fi

corsair vengeance 3600mhz

nzxt x73 aio 360mm

Settings are on stock, pbo enabled, xmp enabled.

Thanks!

PBO Enabled means overclocking. Try it off. 

Also, which BIOS did you apply? 3102? 

0 Likes
mrsense
Adept II

Either disable PBO or negative voltage off-set.

0 Likes
CalinB
Adept III

3202 bios, with PBO off it’s the same.. I even exchanged my cooler for a new one, no difference. Sent the cpu back for testing, they couldn’t find any issue..

0 Likes
CalinB
Adept III

Weird thing, I have a mate with a build that is similar, only difference is the mobo (e gaming from Asus). He gets 60c in cyberpunk, 29idle..

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@CalinB 

But with PBO and CPB in auto settings? Did he try any benchmark?

0 Likes
CalinB
Adept III

PBO was enabled, I know he got 63c in cinebench r23, don’t know the score. I get 80+ with PBO.

0 Likes
CalinB
Adept III

And from what I see, PBO on auto means enabled. I put it on auto and it gives me the same clocks as enabled.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

This is indeed weird if he really gets these temps with auto settings, PBO and CPB enabled. Because I also have the same motherboard you mentioned. Asus Rog Strix X570 E-Gaming. I also applied a new AIO CoolerMaster liquid cooler and the max temps I got when I run CPU mark last time was 75 to 77 degrees. But it seems I am facing issues with the Streamlabs OBS while streaming.

I don't know if this has to do with the GPU but Streamlabs usually having fps drops when the CPU usage is High. I can see the Virtual DJ software using a lot the CPU but I am still not sure if it has to do with the encoder NVENC (New) that I chose instead of the normal NVNENC.

Now that I am writing you here for example I have idle temps at 30-41. I also tried the undervolting settings by using a curve optimizer with -12 magnitude but I didn't see that much different. Now I used the TDP power and VDDC SOC power to Optimized and Extreme from T.Probe and Auto to see if this helps for the stream performance.

However if you can get some screenshots from your friend about the BIOS settings he used and the bench temps, it would be nice.

Also I have watched this video and it seems this guy can reach a great overclock because of the specific Asus motherboard Crosshair Dark Hero III if I am not wrong that is the only one having the option Dynamic OC Switcher. Wondering if we can get this option too in our Asus motherboards with BIOS updates.

If you see, he is also getting 90 degrees. So it seems this CPU it's made up to work like that like AMD says? Hmm. Who knows. But I think it worth to take a look guys

@mickyfin @CalinB @mrsense @astrosquirrel @LLLars @giboune 

0 Likes
spykezap
Adept I

Hi all, fellow 5950x owner suffering the same high temps even after installing a full custom loop with 2x360 rads with only the CPU connected (waiting on a new GPU).

Now first, i am on the Asus Corsshair VIII Hero. My issue is the MB feeding the CPU too much voltage. I can easily see in HWinfo each core being fed 1.45v at idle, causing the high temps.

Now what's interesting is my flatmate picked up a 5950x same time as i did. However he opted for a slightly lower end board from Asus, the x570-e gaming.

What's interesting is his board behaves.
He's idling at 1.1 to 1.2 volts seeing normal temps. (this is with optimized defaults for both of us.)

This leads me to think my board has some OC features enabled by default, being a more OC advertised board. I haven't actually verified and compared all the BIOS settings between our boards, just a hunch and would make sense.

It's also annoying trying to compare BIOS settings as almost everything is set to Auto, which could be enabled, disabled, a Asus specific tuned setting or god knows what else.

I read most of this thread trying different options. I thought PBO was enabled when set to Auto, but as i see in the thread that's not the case, it's been disabled this whole time i've owned the CPU+MB combo which makes the high temps even weirder.

Reading this, i thought what the hell, let's enable PBO and see how high the temps would be now. So i went into the BIOS, opened advanced settings -> AMD overclocking -> Precicion Boost Overdrive, and set it to enabled.
I also went into the Asus OC screen (2nd tab from the left, can't remember the name, AI Overclocking?) -> PBO -> Enabled everything i could in there.

Behold, actually lower temps! I don't understand what's going on here, but i'm now idling at roughly 1.35v and my temps have gone down quite a bit. This is still not close to my flatmates 5950x/x570-e gaming combo, but it's better.

PBO behaves as expected, in single core cinabench runs it now boosts to 5ghz flat, where as before it would hit 4.95 but at significantly higher temps.

Anyways, it would be interesting to hear if anyone has the same experience as me.

EDIT: Just to be clear, it's boosting to 5.0ghz now, PBO enabled, with lower temps than before enabling PBO. 

0 Likes