cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mickyfin
Adept I

Ryzen 9 5950x Running at 74c, Is this a safe Temperature?

I have paired a new Ryzen 9 5950x with an Asus Crosshair viii hero, but I am suffering really high temperatures. at idle the processor is running at 75C.   Under very light load goes up to 80C

I have tried lot of things and just for clarity I am very experienced in building machines (over 25 years). 

I used a Corsair 100i platinum cooler and after several attempts to cool ( 4 reseats using 3 different CPU thermal pastes) I came initially to the conclusion it was the cooler at fault. 

Wanting to use I bit the bullet and bought a replacement cooler a Kraken X73, I installed and net result was  1C cooler i.e. 74C.  So not the cooler but something else!

I did some searching online to discover others have been having a similar issue multiple motherboards, I found some suggestions to help which were to switch my board into an eco mode (which did nothing) the next suggestion was to disable boosting (which kind of cripples the chip) , this I did and now see temperatures in the region of 45C. I don't know where the problem lies exactly, but if several manufactures are seeing then it kind of points to an AMD issue with the Chip or something they have supplied to the board manufacturers. After days of building and then re-applying the coolers I do feel a little cheated. I tried raising with ASUS but because I registered my motherboard for cash back it is saying the serial number is already registered so cannot raise a support case. I coming on here hoping that someone can give some advice and maybe someone from AMD can help.   

663 Replies

Have you tried manually setting the multiplier and voltage very low to rule out a faulty thermal sensor?

What does Ryzen Master say the voltage is, as with the Ryzen 3000 series at launch motherboard BIOSs were using up to and in excess of 1.5v, which was remedied in a later release.

I saw a peak core voltage go up to a max of 1.48v stabling out around 1.40v. Idle tho I'm having peak core volts of 1.13 -1.15v and temps down at 37c. Random spikes now idle its jumping from 38c to 60c doing nothing. If you got any ideas let me know I'm all ears! Here or email me wyproindustries@gmail.com 

Yeah at idle it looks little bouncy going from low peak core volts 1.1 ish up to 1.4. But when stable and not bouncing cpu power is 17w 18w 1.13v peak 38c 39c. If you open something it spikes real hard also random spikes here and there at idle.

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion I think the thermal sensor is Ok as after switching the boost settings to disabled the temperature drops to 40-45C.

Interestingly the peak voltage is around 1.47v when the boost is on and I get the high temps, and around 1.1v when disabled and temps of 40-45C

This is my first Ryzen so not that familiar with Ryzen Master or how it works but I had to go directly into Bios to set the boost setting.  

0 Likes
WyPro
Adept I

I too am having a very similar issue with very similar hardware. Here's my setup: Ryzen 5950x, Msi 3080 rtx, aorus master mb, corsair h100i plat rgb. Was seeing temps under mid load up round 80c. So I changed my case fans around, got it down to 76c - 78c. Granted I got the courage to run the load test in ryzen master once. Pumps and fans for corsair are all on extreme. Ordered a 360mm z73 kracken. Hoping to atleast see a max of 60c. I know specs say 90c max, but cant possibly expect it to last over long term at those temps. I hope this upgrade from the 240mm to 360mm aio helps cpu temp stay down. 

0 Likes
Techno72
Adept I

Hi,

I had the same issue with my build.

x570 Asus tuff wifi plus bios v 2802

5950x

aio 72x Kraken 360mm (used cam beta software to fix not seeing CPU temps)

push-pull fan config 1exhust at back + two on top and 3 intakes at the front with rad. 

Restarting the ROG Live Service dropped temps from 66C (idle) to 45C (idle)  leads me to think this is a software issue perhaps you could confirm and the people on this topic if that service or another is causing a problem by going through the services in task manager and restarting the ones taking CPU% to check.

After the fix, my avg temps have been 40-45C on idle and  50-66C on high load, and  I haven’t seen anything higher than 66C so far since the apparent fix.

My email J.Rentmore@outlook.com should you wish to get in touch. 

The plot thickens on this one, I tried to see if the ROG Service had an effect. So decided to switch back on the Core boost settings, when I did to my surprise temperature remained as it was previous i.e. low. So can say the ROG service for me had no effect as this was a 0%

What else had a done ? it then dawned on me I had run one of the motherboard utilities to over clock and got a 20% overclock which when I boot the bios tells me in big letters.

Net result is machine running 48C idle and about 58C under load.

I can only think some bios setting was changed somewhere. Im happy now as using as intended.

To recap on what I did.

First I disabled both Core boost and precision boost in bios.

Next I ran then   ASUS AI suite 3 and select performance and clicked on the optimization this gave me an overclock of 20%

I then went back into Bios directly and re-enabled the two boost settings.

Happy now with the temps sitting at 47 - 48C

Hope this helps

0 Likes

Sorry did not give my Bios version for my Asus Crosshair Hero viii it is 2502 dated 11/11/2020

0 Likes

Thank you, this worked for me. The only thing I had to do was what you mention in your recap.

@mickyfin wrote:

To recap on what I did.

First I disabled both Core boost and precision boost in bios.

Next I ran then   ASUS AI suite 3 and select performance and clicked on the optimization this gave me an overclock of 20%

I then went back into Bios directly and re-enabled the two boost settings.

Happy now with the temps sitting at 47 - 48C

Hope this helps

This was a big help for me, a beginner that builds his first pc, and freqs out when seeing up to 70 degrees at ideal.

Thank you again for the help.

0 Likes

Try to punch in all your RAM timings manually.  Set the speed and infinity fabric to 1:1 to 3600:1800 and then try the following timings.  They are pretty loose, so it should work depending on the kit you have.

timings.jpg

0 Likes

Hi friends. I have also the same issues. Yesterday I just made my new build with the Ryzen 5950x, Asus Rog Strix X-570 E Gaming motherboard, 32GB DDR4 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z Neo RAM and the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black Edition cooler that it supports up to 140w tdp while the 5950x is 105w.

I am using 7 good quality fans of CoolerMaster and 2 even better fans installed in the cooler. I have updated to the latest bios version in the motherboard and the temperatures I am getting in idle mode is 50 degrees. When I tried to play Dota 2 in max settings that it's a game without a serious graphics expectations, the cpu reached even 70 degrees Celcius.

Everything runs stock in the motherboard. I only have changed the RAM frequency to 3600MHz that is what the specific RAM I got supports. Any thoughts? I also read others having same issues with Noctua and other air coolers. Do you think it's maybe because the Ryzen 5000 are too new cpu's and they need more bios update of Agesa patches etc. or new AMD chipset drivers?

Thanks in advanced!

0 Likes

Glad to see there is a main thread on temp issues with the 5950x.

Same thing is happening to me and I'm seeing others reporting the same on reddit. Seems there might be an bug with the temperature read outs r something.  Either that or there is a serious flaw with regards to random spikes that are causing temps to jump massively. I doubt it's the latter as running benchmarks doesn't seem to cause huge spikes itself and temps level off (albeit higher than I would expecteD) unless this is solely related to single core boost or something that is causing huge voltage spikes for a few seconds and as such the temps rise.

Hoping AMD release a statement that they are looking into this as this is concerning.

0 Likes

@Th0rHere wrote:

Glad to see there is a main thread on temp issues with the 5950x.

Same thing is happening to me and I'm seeing others reporting the same on reddit. Seems there might be an bug with the temperature read outs r something.  Either that or there is a serious flaw with regards to random spikes that are causing temps to jump massively. I doubt it's the latter as running benchmarks doesn't seem to cause huge spikes itself and temps level off (albeit higher than I would expecteD) unless this is solely related to single core boost or something that is causing huge voltage spikes for a few seconds and as such the temps rise.

Hoping AMD release a statement that they are looking into this as this is concerning.

Agreed, I'm having this exact issue ATM.

5950x and MSI MEG Godlike on latest BIOS, with H115i (Extreme, 1400rpm x 2 fans and 28000rpm pump) & four fans (push pull) and another 6 system fans. Razer Master on Default CPU profile. No OC in BIOS, even RAM is on its default 2133.

In Aida CPU stress tests, CPU is usually low to mid 70's and no system instability. I've even had all stress tests in Aida running, apart from disk, for over an hour and CPU and GPU temps were mid-70's. No issue. Stable.

Idle temps are mid 40's, which I'm OK with. Its AMD after all.

But then I run Windows Defender and the CPU spikes up to 90 degrees (rarely, mostly around mid 70s to low 80s) spiking up and down like mad. Even just installing a game, the CPU is running around 70 degrees.

I've even had a Machine Check Exception or two, reported by the Processor Core which just resets the machine. Random.

0 Likes

Yeah, just opening battle.net saw a spike. Something really odd is going on here, not sure exactly what is happening but really hope AMD would at least acknowledge it if there is an issue.

I'm thinking more and more its a reporting issue instead of actual temp increase. My radiators are't really getting any hotter from the looks of it.

In comparison my 3950x never went above 50-60-degrees under any load, so whatever is happening here i feel is a reporting error.

0 Likes

@Th0rHere wrote:

Yeah, just opening battle.net saw a spike. Something really odd is going on here, not sure exactly what is happening but really hope AMD would at least acknowledge it if there is an issue.

I'm thinking more and more its a reporting issue instead of actual temp increase. My radiators are't really getting any hotter from the looks of it.

In comparison my 3950x never went above 50-60-degrees under any load, so whatever is happening here i feel is a reporting error.

Hopefully that's the case. I have an 8 series Intel CPU currently and although Windows Defender also spikes that to around mid 70 degrees, implicating its a CPU heavy process, I don't see the same sorts of CPU spikes for other activities.

I agree, I don't hear/see an aligned ramp in the h115i pump and fan increases when these numbers are reported, whereas when i'm running Aida stress tests, I see that increased speed and sound, which is where temps even out at a stable mid-70s (which im very happy about for a pegged CPU).

I do get that AMD CPUs run hotter, so I expect a general heat increase but the numbers I'm seeing reported are worrying.

0 Likes

I want to mention something that I tried and I saw big difference in the temperatures. If you check the previous page of this article and see my first post, you will see that my hardware is the Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming, CPU Ryzen 5950x and cooler CoolerMaster Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition. You will also notice that I had temperatures in idle mode 55-60 if I am not wrong and when for example I tried Dota 2 it jumped to 73 Celcius max. I noticed that this was happening when the cpu was auto boosting its frequency to 4.9GHz.

So today I went to Bios and I used the setting TPU. I changed its value from Keep Current Setting to TPU 1. Now the CPU runs at 4GHz in all cores and the temperature in Dota 2 was max 54 degrees Celcius. Even now that I am typing and running Chrome and Dota 2 in the background the temperature is 45 degrees. Soon I am getting the CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360R RGB liquid cooler by hopefully reduce the temperatures more.

My main thought is that at last, we may need some time until brands will release new bios and agesa patches or amd chipset drivers that they will handle cpu voltage more accurate and stable and finally we can use the cpu at its max capacity of capabilities.

Hope that helps somehow. 

0 Likes

Yes, so from what I have seen this problem seems to be on Asus and a few MSI motherboards but mainly Asus.

A few things I have noticed these temps are due to CPU ramping up to complete a task which is why you don't see a massive jump in temps because it's already ramped up working on "X" some unknown process whatever that is for others. Looking at HWinFO64 when I had those temps I could see my cores 1-8 at 4.8 - 5.0GHz  working on something (in my case it may have been the lighting service mentioned in my post above). 

I don't believe this to be a hardware error so don't worry about your aio or fans but I have reasons to suspect it is how the motherboard is dealing with the CPU in terms of software boosting or otherwise. 

I believe the main fix will be a bios update that has yet to be ironed out (looking at the Tuff x570 wifi in my case) this will also address the low scores seen in Cinebench R23.  If you're seeing Cinebench R23 results that are not close to reviewers and on Asus, I wouldn't worry.  \something like 1500-1400 single 23000-24000 multi

On the note of ram timings, some people have suggested that improving those will help with the low performance. 

Also, download the AMD x570 chipset drivers to see a small improvement in performance (I've don't know if this will help the temp side of things since my temps are fine now). 

My idle temps are now at 35 with low highs of 50-60 in full workloads.

and I'm still on bios version 2802. 

0 Likes

Hi I have a Ryzen 5090x and rtx 3090 with nzxt Kraken z73 cooler and my own paste getting 80 when playing Atlas also I noticed when Ryzen master was installed and I run atlas it crashed my windows I have latest bios is this the same as the 1700x posting 20 degrees about its actual temp my rad water temp is 45 degrees so really don't think the CPU will be 80 please help someone 

0 Likes

How long have you had the 5950x before seeing this crash? And is it only when Ryzen Master is open and playing Atlas?

I'm thinking it might be a stability issue what Motherboard, Ram and PSU you got?

Any of it overclocked? CPU/GPU?

Also, where are you getting your temps from NXZT cam? HWinfo64 OR Ryzen master?

Need more info

0 Likes

Ryzens 5000 have much higer heat density because they are manufactured with 7nm process, whereas Ryzen 1700x is fabricated on 14nm process. This means that it is more difficult to transfer heat from processor to cooler.

So there is smaller difference between water cooler and air coolers, you have air cooler performance with your Kraken. You might try to reseat cooler and make sure you put enough thermal paste.

To Ryzen master, make sure it is not overclocking something automatically somehow, but you do not need Ryzen master really for anything, so if it is causing issues uninstall it.

Addon:

Also there is important thing about coolers and that is that many cooler coldplates are convex, which is also case for Kraken coolers, because they were designed with consideration that things are in the center of ihs, which is not case for Ryzens 5000, so you really need to make sure you put rich amount of thermal paste there.

Take a look at image of your cooler coldplate, it is massively convex like cone, there are no things in the middle for Ryzens 5000

9337_12_nzxt-kraken-x73-360mm-liquid-cooler-rgb-cpu-review_full

Hello,

I prefer stay like this.

41°C in idle

60°C in RDR2 !!!

I don't know that happened but I lost 5°C without any changes !!! Any update, nothing... really. I was 3600MHz (without PBO), I started my computer, I opened MSI afterburner and I noticed 41°C in idle... wow... I launched cinebench R23 63°C !!! -5°C... I was happy, but I don't know what happened.

I run RDR2 60°C instead of 65°C...

Since I tried TPU1 (4000MHz instead 3600MHz) and I get almost the same temp in games. So I'm happy.

And better performence in benchmark compare stock setting.

26448pts in multicore with Cinebench R23 and 68°C.

With only 1 fan in front case, 1 back and 1 for the ventirad.

How much do you have in Cinebench R23 ?

0 Likes

In Cinebench R23 a 5950x should be at 28000pts in stock.

Me I was at 24000 in stock... and today 26500 with a little OC, TPU1 is an OC.

Why is it worse that in tests ?

0 Likes

Cinebench R23 cannot be 28k stock normally, I will explain.

From my small research average quality 5950x with average cooling has Cinebench single thread score around 1600 and multi core 24k-25k, everything else is exception:

1. in reviews they have got cherry picked cpu samples
  2. some motherboards either by error or rather intentionally unlock limits

it is not possible to reach 28k and more in cinebench with stock limits, CPU is not allowed to drain so much current and power. Some manufacturer, like Asus, have unlocked power limits in stock, I suppose intentionally so it looks like their motherboards provide better performance, you can verify this when you activate PBO and put all limits manually as they have to be in stock (i.e. PPT 142W, TDC 95A, EDC 140A)

If you have exceptional golden sample of 5950x and good cooling you can reach higher scores but if you have average CPU then under normal conditions 24k-25k score is correct.

Also to reviews results, you should not believe reviews results,  because reviewers are threatened and blackmailed by manufacturers, take their values as indication of performance that you will never reach, subtract 5%-10% from their results.

Discuss performance of CPUs and GPUs in forums where people put their numbers so you see real retail results.

0 Likes

Hi again friends,

I finally got yesterday my AIO and my MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X and today I installed them. I also used the thermal paste CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker.

Of course the PC needs to run 1-2 days if I am right for the paste to get along with the AIO etc. However if you see my previous post above, with my previous air cooler I had 78 degree in the Benchmark I run while now I got 72 and this just instantly after I installed the AIO and the GPU.

All the settings are in stock with PBO and CPB enabled as well as my ram at max speed of 3600MHZ and with changed timings to achieve the best I can from them.

I think the new BIOS did some positive work compared to previous times that I was getting more than 80 degrees.

0 Likes

I keep hearing "settings are in stock with PBO"
PBO is overclocking and it is not enabled by defaults on any boards I tested.
Any board manufacturer enabling PBO by default deserves both my middle fingers.

@deepcuts wrote:

I keep hearing "settings are in stock with PBO"
PBO is overclocking and it is not enabled by defaults on any boards I tested.
Any board manufacturer enabling PBO by default deserves both my middle fingers.

THANK YOU!! Somehow what I've been trying to get accross :)

0 Likes

Let's hope that PBO was active by mistake on some motherboards, also AMD recommends to disable explicitly PBO for reviews to make sure results are stock (PBO disabled, not Auto).

However in some reviews I have seen Cinebench R23 score 30k, this is not possible without PBO and increased limits, 30k is not typical score at all, therefore all reviews for Ryzens 5000 are rendered invalid because one cannot be sure what setting was active during test (early bioses for Ryzens 5000 could have bugs, etc. etc.), so it is better discuss scores in forums and take reviews with a grain of salt .

0 Likes

PBO was enabled on my board when I got it...well auto, but something was auto overclocking the CPU to make it run in Windows at 70C plus.

0 Likes

FYI, "auto" means disabled when it comes to PBO. No motherboard should have it enabled by default.

Precision Boost (as opposed to Precision Boost Overdrive) will still boost your CPU based upon default temperature and power limits even at bone stock. PBO simply increases those limits.

0 Likes

@deepcuts 

In my Rog Strix X570 E- Gaming the PBO is enabled at stock settings with the option Auto.

0 Likes

It was enable in stock for me too... in auto.

Rog Strix X570 E- Gaming

0 Likes

Again, PBO set to "auto" is synonymous with "disabled". It's stupidly written.

0 Likes

So @JoltCola This could mean that also other settings that are set in Auto option, could be meant as disabled? This is critical mistake then from the manufacturers if you ask me. At least for me.

0 Likes

I don't know of anywhere else that applies. Hopefully the confusing labeling isn't duplicated elsewhere. Got that from the GN article, BTW. They're tech Jesus.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

0 Likes

I hope so @JoltCola because in my rog strix x 570 e gaming, there are many options with the Auto setting. Thanks for answering.

0 Likes

Hey Guys,

I urge you all to watch this. It may be good news for some, particularly where the MoBos new BIOS is already available. 

https://youtu.be/dfkrp25dpQ0

As noted in the video, the returns from the 5950X aren't as mindblowing as with the others, but I'm expecting to see quite a difference, particularly in those "spiky" cases that use a single core on light loads. 

There seems to be a new BIOS available for the ROG Hero VIII with the required AGESA code. Once I've updated the BIOS and run my tests, I will present my results here.

0 Likes

Hi All,

Just wondering if we could consolidate all the findings from this forum?

Asus Specific (In windows):

1. Closing/removing Gamefirst helps lowers temps.

2. Closing/Removing ASUS AI

Asus X570 Bios:

1. ...
2. ...

ETC,...

If we could consolidate this and maybe upvote, as the forum is already 18 pages... :)
And I am getting lost :)

Cheers,

a.

0 Likes

@AlienLoRd wrote:

Hi All,

Just wondering if we could consolidate all the findings from this forum?

Asus Specific (In windows):

1. Closing/removing Gamefirst helps lowers temps.

2. Closing/Removing ASUS AI

3. Stop the lighting service from Armoury Crate (or set non dynamic lights)

Asus X570 Bios:

1. PBO2 Undervolting!!! - check the video I linked.
2. ...

ETC,...

If we could consolidate this and maybe upvote, as the forum is already 18 pages... :)
And I am getting lost :)

Cheers,

a.

See my comments in line :)

0 Likes

Hello,

is there any fix for this problem yet? I get 91c in Prime 95 benchmark, 82c in Cyberpunk and the fans are at 100%.. I got the new bios update and it’s the same.

5950x

3090 rog strix

crosshair hero viii wi fi

corsair vengeance 3600mhz

nzxt x73 aio 360mm

Settings are on stock, pbo enabled, xmp enabled.

Thanks!

0 Likes