Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ero_Sennin
Elite

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

@giboune 

In this case, I would save your current profile BIOS settings in the values you had it as a safe option to avoid the high temps and then I would use the option Load Optimized Defaults and reboot the PC. Then I would enter instantly again BIOS and change only the RAM speed to the max they support. The rest should be fine and work with auto boost.

0 Likes
Dynaverse
Journeyman III

So I finally controlled the temps. What really helped is using Ryzen Master making sure PBO is ENABLED, and then going to Creator Mode and setting it to ECO. It clocks down to about 4.5 Ghz, but runs everything cool, from 60 - 70c, which I'm very happy with. I'm using a new Kraken X63 to control thermals, my old air cooler couldn't do it. I also updated my drivers for my Asus X570-E and my AMD chipset, nothing helped. Honestly If I had known this chip would load around 86c - 88c at 4.9 Ghz, I would've just stuck to my 3950x and clocked it to 4.3 and forgot about it. New buyers might want to keep this in mind, the 5950x does require an actual water cooler, a good one, and even then it depends on your climate and ambient room temperatures for perfect thermal results. I called AMD and they didn't seem too worried about these temperatures, their response was that "it has 16 cores as long as it runs under 90c it's normal". I mean my car oil temperature runs at 90c, that's a lot, too much even. 

0 Likes
astrosquirrel
Adept III

@Dynaverse wrote:

So I finally controlled the temps. What really helped is using Ryzen Master making sure PBO is ENABLED, and then going to Creator Mode and setting it to ECO. It clocks down to about 4.5 Ghz, but runs everything cool, from 60 - 70c, which I'm very happy with. I'm using a new Kraken X63 to control thermals, my old air cooler couldn't do it. I also updated my drivers for my Asus X570-E and my AMD chipset, nothing helped. Honestly If I had known this chip would load around 86c - 88c at 4.9 Ghz, I would've just stuck to my 3950x and clocked it to 4.3 and forgot about it. New buyers might want to keep this in mind, the 5950x does require an actual water cooler, a good one, and even then it depends on your climate and ambient room temperatures for perfect thermal results. I called AMD and they didn't seem too worried about these temperatures, their response was that "it has 16 cores as long as it runs under 90c it's normal". I mean my car oil temperature runs at 90c, that's a lot, too much even. 

I respectfully disagree. The only thing that's happening here is that expectations and reality aren't aligning. For starters, the 5950x is a massive improvement to the 3950x and that's an objective fact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72AHENDeTEI

Maybe what you want to say is that the upgrade is that the improvement was little for your use case, in which case ... :-/ yeah that's unfortunate :(

EDIT: Ah I see you edited your post. I was replying to your previous statement about it being little improvement.

Regarding the water cooler bit, I would say that's also not fully accurate. You will need a top of the line air cooler or an AIO onwards. But then again, this is a top of the line CPU. Coming back to your car analogy, you wouldn't cool a race car with a twingo radiator ...right? :)

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Hi again friends,

@astrosquirrel 
@mickyfin 
@Dynaverse 
@giboune 
@Chibi28 

I didn't find anyone else in the tagging list. So, sorry if I forgot someone.

It seems there is a new BIOS beta update for the Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming that I flashed today. It updates the AGESA mode and it mentioning a new CPU support in the changelog.

The settings I did in BIOS is to leave PBO and CPB enabled. I have changed performance enhancer from Auto to default. I also used the Ryzen DRAM Calculator to get the values I need for a fast profile for my RAM performance and I changed the timings and the voltages values to what Ryzen DRAM Calculator gave me. So I actually now run my RAM at its best timings at 3600MHz that is their max frequency support.

I also used the Quick Fan Control on BIOS by pressing F6 to set all my fans from CPU and the PC Case to maximum speed.

Then I checked the services in Windows and while I am not using any Asus software like Aura or Armoury Crate etc. I noticed that there were some Asus services running on the background. So I disabled them all from auto start.

Everything else in BIOS is set in Auto like from scratch.

Now in idle mode I get these temps while when I opened Chrome with its tabs for first time and the monitoring software for the temps, it reached 70 degrees:

screenshot_new_amd.png

I tried to use Bench CPU and Stress CPU on CPU-Z but it seems it doesn't use the max frequency of the CPU to have an absolute image of the temps while CPU is full loaded. So I tried the CPU mark performance test that making a lot of tests for the CPU and the highest temperature it reached was 78 degrees Celsius as you can see in the photo:

screenshot_new_amd_4.png

It seems if I am not wrong that these results are better than before regarding the temps. Before it was going more than 80 in my case. About 84-87. And keep in mind that I am still using an air coolermaster cooler that is recommended for the 5800x and not 5950x. I am still waiting as I mentioned before my CoolerMaster ML360R AIO.

Anyway. I hope this helps somehow guys.

Flyaway
Journeyman III

Hi I have a Ryzen 5090x and rtx 3090 with nzxt Kraken z73 cooler and my own paste getting 80 when playing Atlas also I noticed when Ryzen master was installed and I run atlas it crashed my windows I have latest bios is this the same as the 1700x posting 20 degrees about its actual temp my rad water temp is 45 degrees so really don't think the CPU will be 80 please help someone 

0 Likes
Techno72
Adept I

How long have you had the 5950x before seeing this crash? And is it only when Ryzen Master is open and playing Atlas?

I'm thinking it might be a stability issue what Motherboard, Ram and PSU you got?

Any of it overclocked? CPU/GPU?

Also, where are you getting your temps from NXZT cam? HWinfo64 OR Ryzen master?

Need more info

0 Likes
trek
Elite

Ryzens 5000 have much higer heat density because they are manufactured with 7nm process, whereas Ryzen 1700x is fabricated on 14nm process. This means that it is more difficult to transfer heat from processor to cooler.

So there is smaller difference between water cooler and air coolers, you have air cooler performance with your Kraken. You might try to reseat cooler and make sure you put enough thermal paste.

To Ryzen master, make sure it is not overclocking something automatically somehow, but you do not need Ryzen master really for anything, so if it is causing issues uninstall it.

Addon:

Also there is important thing about coolers and that is that many cooler coldplates are convex, which is also case for Kraken coolers, because they were designed with consideration that things are in the center of ihs, which is not case for Ryzens 5000, so you really need to make sure you put rich amount of thermal paste there.

Take a look at image of your cooler coldplate, it is massively convex like cone, there are no things in the middle for Ryzens 5000

9337_12_nzxt-kraken-x73-360mm-liquid-cooler-rgb-cpu-review_full

giboune
Adept I

Hello,

I prefer stay like this.

41°C in idle

60°C in RDR2 !!!

I don't know that happened but I lost 5°C without any changes !!! Any update, nothing... really. I was 3600MHz (without PBO), I started my computer, I opened MSI afterburner and I noticed 41°C in idle... wow... I launched cinebench R23 63°C !!! -5°C... I was happy, but I don't know what happened.

I run RDR2 60°C instead of 65°C...

Since I tried TPU1 (4000MHz instead 3600MHz) and I get almost the same temp in games. So I'm happy.

And better performence in benchmark compare stock setting.

26448pts in multicore with Cinebench R23 and 68°C.

With only 1 fan in front case, 1 back and 1 for the ventirad.

How much do you have in Cinebench R23 ?

0 Likes
giboune
Adept I

In Cinebench R23 a 5950x should be at 28000pts in stock.

Me I was at 24000 in stock... and today 26500 with a little OC, TPU1 is an OC.

Why is it worse that in tests ?

0 Likes
trek
Elite

Cinebench R23 cannot be 28k stock normally, I will explain.

From my small research average quality 5950x with average cooling has Cinebench single thread score around 1600 and multi core 24k-25k, everything else is exception:

1. in reviews they have got cherry picked cpu samples
  2. some motherboards either by error or rather intentionally unlock limits

it is not possible to reach 28k and more in cinebench with stock limits, CPU is not allowed to drain so much current and power. Some manufacturer, like Asus, have unlocked power limits in stock, I suppose intentionally so it looks like their motherboards provide better performance, you can verify this when you activate PBO and put all limits manually as they have to be in stock (i.e. PPT 142W, TDC 95A, EDC 140A)

If you have exceptional golden sample of 5950x and good cooling you can reach higher scores but if you have average CPU then under normal conditions 24k-25k score is correct.

Also to reviews results, you should not believe reviews results,  because reviewers are threatened and blackmailed by manufacturers, take their values as indication of performance that you will never reach, subtract 5%-10% from their results.

Discuss performance of CPUs and GPUs in forums where people put their numbers so you see real retail results.

0 Likes