cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mickyfin
Adept I

Ryzen 9 5950x Running at 74c, Is this a safe Temperature?

I have paired a new Ryzen 9 5950x with an Asus Crosshair viii hero, but I am suffering really high temperatures. at idle the processor is running at 75C.   Under very light load goes up to 80C

I have tried lot of things and just for clarity I am very experienced in building machines (over 25 years). 

I used a Corsair 100i platinum cooler and after several attempts to cool ( 4 reseats using 3 different CPU thermal pastes) I came initially to the conclusion it was the cooler at fault. 

Wanting to use I bit the bullet and bought a replacement cooler a Kraken X73, I installed and net result was  1C cooler i.e. 74C.  So not the cooler but something else!

I did some searching online to discover others have been having a similar issue multiple motherboards, I found some suggestions to help which were to switch my board into an eco mode (which did nothing) the next suggestion was to disable boosting (which kind of cripples the chip) , this I did and now see temperatures in the region of 45C. I don't know where the problem lies exactly, but if several manufactures are seeing then it kind of points to an AMD issue with the Chip or something they have supplied to the board manufacturers. After days of building and then re-applying the coolers I do feel a little cheated. I tried raising with ASUS but because I registered my motherboard for cash back it is saying the serial number is already registered so cannot raise a support case. I coming on here hoping that someone can give some advice and maybe someone from AMD can help.   

663 Replies

I don’t know about replacing. Hardware wise nothing is wrong. Like I said, the 5950x has normal behaviour if you’re lucky with your mobo, which is unheard of. You can pay 600$ for a mobo and have this issue, you can buy the same mobo after and on that one the issue disappears. He validated this scenario and blamed the mobo manufacturers. And maybe he’s right, maybe he’s not.

0 Likes

@CalinB 

And if you remember, how many people here including me, were mentioning that this has maybe to do with the motherboard.

And we saw that in different manufacturer motherboards. That's why I said I still have no big hopes after I am getting the new mobo that ll replace my previous Rog Strix X570 E Gaming.

But from the other side how the reviewers like 8/10 had not any temps issues with their 5950x units. Does that mean that they were lucky with their motherboards or they had a perfect soc 5950x.

Anyway. Hope we are getting a solution finally buddy all of us.

0 Likes

@CalinB 

I already sent you a PM, you can just reply to that one. I've a discord server where we can share files and all. We were testing with @spykezap for 4 hours yesterday and homed in some interesting results.

0 Likes

I have no idea where to look for that PM..

0 Likes

I got an answer from Asus also. They told me to reset to Factory Settings. I already did that twice, doesn’t work.

0 Likes

@CalinB 

We did that last night, and even multiple BIOS have been tried. It changes nothing. To check your PMs just click the envelope up there:

astrosquirrel_0-1611765826454.png

0 Likes

I don’t have that..

@CalinB 

I guess that's what we all did in first place. Are you going to tell Asus that you tried already this and wait for another answer? Hope you get some answer more accurate and valuable ASAP buddy.

0 Likes

I got another answer, they say it’s hardware issue now.

@CalinB 

Yesterday we got to the conclusion with @spykezap that the MoBo most likely needs replacing. 

0 Likes

@CalinB 

No clue why you can't receive PMs. Wanna propose another form of communication?

0 Likes

Please stick to the topic and stop the personal attacks.

If they continue, this thread will be locked.

@Ray_AMD 

Hi dear moderator and thanks for taking place.

I would gladly do that if this guy stop using these anti-progressive posts by using no sense words. You can check his comments since the start and his irony about us that we are talking about issues we experiencing here.

However I respect that as you are the moderator and thanks again for taking place. I hope now we can keep this article on point. Thank you!

0 Likes

I've reset my bios settings to default and had it running for about a week now. The only option I changed was selecting the correct ram speed.

Temperature is around 40-50C. Fans on case are silent until the CPU spikes and then the fans ramp up for a bit. The funny thing is the spikes happen not when you start a profram or game but rather when you shut down the program or game.

Alot better then when it was around 70C plus. So I guess those ASUS utility programs were partly to blame.

How ong do you guys stress test for?

0 Likes

Hi @Chibi28 buddy

In first place I had all BIOS settings on auto and like you, I just changed the RAM speed to the xmp so they get the right frequency.

On idle I had 39-42 and when I was touching my mouse and using Chrome the temp was jumping to 70c.

After I used the benchmark CPU mark the frequency jumped higher with auto boost and I could see temps 95c.

I was using the Rog Strix X570 E Gaming. Now waiting another manufacturer motherboard to see if it was a motherboard issue but I don't have big hopes.

0 Likes

I think everyone who is experiencing this issues should change the mobo, especially if it's Asus. Maybe it's BIOS related, but it's good to be sure.

@CalinB

and everyone,

Today I got my new motherboard. I replaced my Rog Strix X570 E Gaming with the MSI MEG X570 ACE. For the new users who doesn't know, I am using the CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 360R AIO for cooling and 7 CoolerMaster Sickerflow 120 Fans. The GPU I use is the RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X.

With my previous motherboard and latest BIOS (but I had tried a lot of BIOS versions), after I ran the CPU Mark benchmark, I was getting about 90-95 degrees with the BIOS in Auto Settings and only change the Extreme Memory Profile to Profile 1. Also on Idle I was in 42-47 degrees.

In BIOS screen, I was getting 50-60 degrees too with the previous motherboard. But with the new one I am getting 33-34c that is a great difference.

With the new motherboard now, I tried the same. And I mean BIOS (latest stable version) in Auto settings and I changed the RAM XPM to XPM 1. So bellow I am attaching a photo with the results. On the left is the temperature a bit before the benchmark is finished with the current - min - and max temperature, while on the right is after the benchmark is finished with the current - min - and max temperature.

(I took 2 different print screen photos of the Core Temp and I inserted again to the Windows Pain the second one on the right. So the 89% of benchmark you see is from the previous screen shot before the benchmark is finished).

So the max temperature was 72c. Compared to previous motherboard, this is a huge difference. Also when I installed the MSI Dragon Center to set up my RGB fans, during the installation of modules etc. the CPU reached 79c. However I can say I am still happy for now with these results.

I am not sure if my previous motherboard was defective at last or if this MSI handling better the CPU with its BIOS settings. But let's hope we are getting in the future more BIOS and AGESA updates that will make things even better. Hope that helps guys.

cpu_temps_max_load_auto_settings.png

BIOS screen:

Screenshot_20210130-070100.jpg

@Ero_Sennin 

Hello, witch temps are you in idle with your new mobo ?

Just I would like to know why you continue to try to use Auto Settings while temps are really better with TPU1 and with better score in benchmark. When I'm using my Rog Strix X570 E Gaming in TPU1 everything is good, and it's a little overclocking with better performence.

0 Likes

@giboune 

Hi buddy. As you can see on my post above, on the right photo the current temperature that is the idle is 36-37.

Also TPU enabled means reduced performance while the CPU frequency doesn't exceeding the 4.1GHz while auto settings that using the auto boost, goes at 4.9GHz max that means higher performance.

With Rog Strix I had also on BIOS 55-60c degrees while as you can see in the photo above with the new one I have 33-44c.

0 Likes

@Ero_Sennin 

With TPU1 you have better performance in any benchmarks than auto-setting... I'm not sure that a 4.9Ghz peak is useful when you open your browser.

For me benchmarks are more representative. And TPU are overclocking, so it's better (looks benchmarks).

0 Likes

You know the AMD boost means that only ONE core is abble to reach 4.9MHz... for mono-thread work.

In auto-setting all your cores are at 3.4Mhz, and one at 4.9 max (core 0). And with TPU1 all cores are at 4MHz.

What is better ? Benchmarks can tell you.
0 Likes

@giboune 

This is what I did before in first place if you remember and I had posted my settings. Did you try to run the CPU Mark Performance Test by selecting Tests-CPU-All? If yes what number it gives you? I am not sure if 4.1GHz stable it's better in performance vs more frequency by Auto Boost. As much as the motherboard handling right.

About the 4.9GHz yeah I know that is only for the single thread cores. But the rest cores are jumping to 4.7GHz too. Well I didn't try with the new motherboard the TPU. I am not sure how is this setting presented on MSI BIOS.

0 Likes

CPU Mark Performance Test is Passmark benchmark ?

If not please send me a link.

0 Likes

@giboune 

Yes exactly buddy. This one. The website name is passmark etc as you mentioned.

0 Likes

ciao a me mi da your cpu mark score 44706

percentile 99

world average 11756

world minimum 84

world maximum 95937

ciao buona giornta

0 Likes

con TPU1 albilitato

0 Likes

La mia configurazione

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi AMD X570

AMD RADEON R7 200 SERIES..... Aspettando forse febbraio Asus GeForce RTX 3080 ROG STRIX Gaming OC 10G?

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 2x 16 GB, 3600 MHz C18

Western Digital SN850 da 500 GB

Western Digital WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD due banchi da 1 TB

Asus ROG-THOR-1200P Unità di Alimentazione Platinum da 1200 W

NZXT Kraken X73 360mm Raffreddatore di liquido

Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ARGB

0 Likes

@Ero_Sennin @vice65 

I just make some tests... TPU1 vs auto-setting (with PBO)

On Passmark I'm lower than vice65 :

37476 (98%) TPU1 vs 37968 (99%) auto-setting - nearly same results

On Cinebench R23 :

multi-core 26404 TPU1 vs 24197 auto-setting - better TPU1 (because all cores at 4000MHz)

single-core 1317 TPU1 vs 1577 auto-setting - better auto-setting with PBO (because one core at 5000MHz)

In fact it's nearly the same results... just have to check which give better temps. For me it's TPU1 from far away.

0 Likes

@giboune 

Thanks for the feedback buddy. For me the auto settings with the CPU Mark gave me 48800+ score. But I didn't try with TPU. As I said MSI motherboard has a OC profiles and a switch on the motherboard that you can change to profiles. I am not sure if I can find the TPU on the BIOS. And I am brave enough to try this OC switch on the motherboard

0 Likes

My results on Passmark are very low... I don't know why.

A 5950x must be around 45000 and I'm at 37500.

0 Likes

@giboune 

Maybe it's a BIOS settings. Did you also enabled efficiency mode, CPPC, CPPC Preferred Cores and Global C State? If yes I estimate this is the reason.

0 Likes

Other guys can tell me results on CPU Mark on Passmark ?

Because 37500 with a 5950x it's strange.

I'm good on others benchmarks, but not this one !!!

Thank you @Ero_Sennin to make me know this bullshxxx one !!! lol

0 Likes

@giboune 

Haha. That was funny. Well I didn't try any other buddy. That was the one I found fast. Next time that you will update the bios to a new version, try the optimized defaults settings and then try to re run this benchmark. It may be fine after that. Also did you chose in the Windows 10 power options the High Performance or Ultimate Performance profile instead of the Balanced that is the stock one?

0 Likes

@Ero_Sennin 

It's another Asus issue.

I give up, to clear this issue I need to reinstall Windows 10.

It doesn't matter, I just find only ONE benchmark who get bad results.

I install TPU2 now, so better performance than TPU1... and nearly same temps.

I thought to change my mobo, but my performances are good (only not with Passmark) and my temps too.

41/43°C in idle, not bad.

59/65°C in game (Horizon Zero Dawn), not too bad.

And this temps with only 1 fan in front, 1 fan on my Air-cooling and 1 back !!! I'm probably lucky in fact.

I'm dissapointing to take an Asus mobo, because I hesitated with a MSI one... but I think you can get some issues too with MSI softwares.

I won't change my mobo to have 47000pts on Passmark !!!

0 Likes

@giboune 

If I was you, I would rather request an RMA for motherboard replacement buddy. All motherboards having high temps in general with the 5950x but the Rog Strix X570 E Gaming I had was really behaving weird. And I heard we are not the only ones that having issues with Asus. As much as you are in warranty, you may do it now. Just my opinion of course.

Also @giboune are you talking about the score of the CPU Mark in the program Performance Test, or did you run the Passmark? It's 2 different things. Hope you got my point.

0 Likes

@Ero_Sennin 

I'm not sure to be abble return my Asus mobo.

No it's my real CPU Mark score.

0 Likes

@giboune 

Why not? You are having a warranty right? So you can request it. If you mean in terms that you can't stay without a usable PC for some time then yes I understand.

0 Likes

@Ero_Sennin 

The Asus mobo works... not like I want but it works. Did you use the warranty for yours ? I'm pretty sure they won't retake it. Where did you buy yours ?

0 Likes

@giboune 

I just sent the motherboard to the shop from I where bought it and they sent it to Asus in Germany. The process they told me may take up to 2 months or more. So I had to buy another motherboard. And yes you can do the same because if you bought recently the motherboard and you are inside the official EU warranty of 2 years, you don't have to worry.  And if they tell you anything weird, take a look here.

0 Likes

I got this fromAMD:

Dear Calin,

Thank you for your patience.

We do have the situation under discussion and also have important information to work with you.

In fact, at the moment we need to understand the actual cause behind the issue, which points us to a sensor being misread, this caused to what seems the motherboard and with a possibility of an issue with the BIOS/AGESA used along. This last point, however, would need a close investigation on the issue, as a code bug, for instance, is expected to have different symptoms but, despite, we are keeping a close eye on the situation to ensure we are not missing any point here.