cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mickyfin
Adept I

Ryzen 9 5950x Running at 74c, Is this a safe Temperature?

I have paired a new Ryzen 9 5950x with an Asus Crosshair viii hero, but I am suffering really high temperatures. at idle the processor is running at 75C.   Under very light load goes up to 80C

I have tried lot of things and just for clarity I am very experienced in building machines (over 25 years). 

I used a Corsair 100i platinum cooler and after several attempts to cool ( 4 reseats using 3 different CPU thermal pastes) I came initially to the conclusion it was the cooler at fault. 

Wanting to use I bit the bullet and bought a replacement cooler a Kraken X73, I installed and net result was  1C cooler i.e. 74C.  So not the cooler but something else!

I did some searching online to discover others have been having a similar issue multiple motherboards, I found some suggestions to help which were to switch my board into an eco mode (which did nothing) the next suggestion was to disable boosting (which kind of cripples the chip) , this I did and now see temperatures in the region of 45C. I don't know where the problem lies exactly, but if several manufactures are seeing then it kind of points to an AMD issue with the Chip or something they have supplied to the board manufacturers. After days of building and then re-applying the coolers I do feel a little cheated. I tried raising with ASUS but because I registered my motherboard for cash back it is saying the serial number is already registered so cannot raise a support case. I coming on here hoping that someone can give some advice and maybe someone from AMD can help.   

663 Replies

New beta BIOS update with updated AGESA for the Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming. I will download and try later to see if anything will change about the temps. Don't have a lot of hopes but let's see :P

Changelog:

ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING BIOS 3201
"Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.9.0.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios/

Edit: I updated to the bios. Did factory defauls and then used the same bios settings as before. I noticed temps went higher about 4-5 degree. I reverted back to the stable bios and I will wait until they will release the next stable update.

0 Likes

I updated my BIOS with the 12/25 update a we days ago (Asus Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi).  Unfortunately, I haven’t seen a difference in the temperature.  It is definitely a voltage issue  with the rise in temperature correlating to spikes (and sometimes holding) higher core voltages.  It seems to happen randomly to me.  Today I noticed it running hot again and found the voltage to be over 1.4 at idle.  

0 Likes

@erdoc2 

But these bios changelog had also AGESA update? Sorry to hear. I think I will be in the same situation :P

0 Likes

Huh?` my post was deleted.... was it offensive in any shape or form? :-0

0 Likes

For me, whitout update, just disable PBO, stable frequency at 3600MHz (so little, very little overclock, but without boost), and some other things told up in the discussion, I really loose almost 15°C.

RDR2 78 to 65...

Cities Skylines 82 to 65...

Didn't try yet any other game... but probably same difference.

But 65°C in game with 1 fan front, 1 fan radiator and 1 fan back... it's very good now... and pretty quiet... with a 3090 at 75°C (MSI Gaming X Trio, the quietest one)

I'm happy !!!

And on Cinebench I am very close to the stock result !!! ( because 3600MHz instead of 3400)

74degC

Isn't hot if you are slamming that many cores hard

Also it seems like the biggest issue people are having is thinking they are running at idle
When clearly they have a bunch of broken programs installed that are using the CPU for no reason

0 Likes

@giboune 

I have made some tests too. I had disabled PBO and CPB but also enabled it as well without using the TPU setting to 1 or 2 in BIOS. In that case when it was all enabled I got the auto boost and the temps even in running Chrome tabs were reaching 79 degrees.

But after enabled the TPU 2 setting, the CPU now run in a specific frequency of 4.1GHz and without auto boosting and for the time when I used CPU-Z to stress a bit the CPU, it reached about 69-70 degree. So yes, I can agree with you that this is much better instead of the stock settings.

But the main thing here is to we can finally use this monster CPU to its max potentials right? That's why I hope AMD or MOBO manufacturers can finally do something about it. I also don't have much of hopes even when I will install my AIO CoolerMaster ML360R and replace it with the air cooler that I'm currently using.

I may try in fact to overclock the cpu in higher frequency with a specific voltage or Auto settings and change the LLC to Level 5. Finger crossed.

0 Likes

@Ero_Sennin 

Hello, it's not the first time that I read "I had disabled PBO and CPB..", but I didn't find CPB in the BIOS.

I disabled PBO but I don't know what is CPB. Can you tell me where I can disabled it ?

Thank you.

0 Likes

CIAO ... devi disabilitare Precision Boost Overdrive 

0 Likes

For anyone running X570-E

Disable the cancer software to make 5950x cool again. Dropped from 70c idle in windows to 36c running 5950x Asus X570-E. I have PBO enabled, it's not that or any issues with bios. 

I'm using NZXT X63 2 fan one.

Also 3950x has an issue with Nvidia software, 2 cores max at 100%. So poke around. 

Here you go, cool 5950xHere you go, cool 5950x

Kill cancer software that comes with motherboard.Kill cancer software that comes with motherboard.

3D mark after full load, check green line.3D mark after full load, check green line.

0 Likes

I wanted to add some information here in regards to my experiences. I just converted from an Intel i9-7980xe that was delidded and overclocked to 5Ghz on 5cores and the other 13 were at 4.6Ghz. That CPU was drawing 780w from the wall for idle computer except running Cinebench. I was able to cool that and keep temps under 80 under full load with the liquid cooling system I have setup.

I have since re-worked that liquid cooling system to include an additional radiator, and a second pump to ensure that the flow rate is excellent (sitting at about 6L/m flow rate).

I am now seeing mid to high 60s, sometimes touching 70 while running Cinebench with my 5950x. I have the following configuration:

AMD 5950x with Corsair XC9 block

Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (non-wifi)

4x8GB G Skill 3800 CL 17 (2 kits of 2 sticks, 32GB total)

Nvidia RTx 3090 Founders Edition with Alphacool block

I have the 3090 in the loop as well. Here is the loop layout starting from the out on the CPU block:

CPU > Laing D5 > 480mm Swiftech Rad > 360mm THICK (double thickness) HW Labs Rad > GPU block > 560MM HW Labs Rad > EK Res/D5 Pump combo > CPU 

Now, you are probably asking why I'm posting this. I wanted to provide perspective to people about the heat concentration that these 5950x CPUs have. My AMD CPU after adding a second pump and a 560mm rad to this loop is still running at nearly 70c under load WITHOUT PBO. The package temperature reports as high as 83c at times. The (arguably) borderline insane voltages that they are using is responsible for part of this, as is the fact that the chiplets are essentially half the size of the same structures on Intel because 14nm vs 7nm. The ability to move the heat away from these chiplets efficiently is getting more and more difficult as manufacturing size decreases.

Increasing clockspeed increases heat generated, increasing voltage increases heat generated, and we are looking at tiny little chiplets, running very high voltages stock, and very high clockspeeds. If your CPU isn't thermal throttling, you don't have a problem, you just have the highest end AMD performance CPU available. As a brand agnostic performance chaser, I can say that both AMD and Intel have built some volcanoes over the years (Prescott Pentium 4 3.8Ghz machine melters anyone?). There are some people that have posted in this thread with legitimate problems and concerns, but I would say most things people are posting about are within what should be expected with this CPU. Just my .02

0 Likes

My 5950X hits 70C under load at 215W PPT, 140A TDC and 160A EDC.  It certainly does not hit that with PBO off.  I have a single D5 pump and a 45x420mm radiator and a 45x280mm in push pull.  So substantially less radiator area but apparently better performance.  What case are you using?

0 Likes

LDPC v8 with a customized top mount for the 560. The only ? I have is the Corsair high performance thermal paste I had to use. The plan was to use LM, but I had about one pinhead worth of LM left when I went to apply and ended up scooping the only kind of thermal paste they had at BestBuy.

Edit: Without the 560 in the loop, my loops water was going to +10 or +11c over ambient under gaming loads before equalizing. Now it's +3c.

0 Likes

Hi everyone,

just entered the infamous club of 5950X users with abnormal high temperatures. I of course, have an Asus MB the B550-I Gaming Strix. Cooling is solid, custom watercooling.

But at least i come with something interesting.

Core preference:

Cores.png

We can see the preferred core is not even boosting the best.

But we can see something really eye opening next:

Temps.png

This is a core read when running Cinebench R23, where core 1 is doing most of the work, as it should, as it's boosting the best. When sometimes it switches to Core 6 than all hell breaks loose.

So it's either to do with the Windows scheduler or a poor BIOS implementation.

Anyone willing to validate my theory that actually only the second best core is causing the issue.

Regards

0 Likes

@Draculealooks correctly, Core 6 is the best core, you can see this information in parentheses, i.e. (1/1), this will be changed also if you set curve optimizer.

If you have unlocked PBO limits then temp will be high, however if you have quality custom water cooling (i.e. high pump flow) then 89.9C is awful.

0 Likes

Guys,  I think I've found a better way

I've had a couple of high performance systems in the past.   A Xeon E5-2687W, and a Thread Ripper 1920X.   They both scored around 50 on a particular Benchmark.   (Which doesn't matter)

Straight out of the box my Ryzen 9 5950X on a Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX scored 70 in the benchmark but ran 95C on a Noctua NH-U12A.   I tweaked the memory and other parameters, and got an increase to 75 in the benchmark but still 95C.

I was really concerned because even 2 threads of Prime95 would drive this up to 95C.   However,  strange,  I could load this up to 32 Threads of Prime95 and the temp did not budge, but it gobbled up the workload.  Canceling Prime95, my Heatsink dropped 20C degrees in 2-3 seconds.  So obviously good contact.

What I have determined is that AMD is perfectly fine letting you OC your Not Warranted CPU at 95C.   They have great control over the temperature by adjusting Multiplier(Frequencies), Core dispatch, Hyper Threading, and even voltage.  They make these adjustments 1000 times a second.  Faster than your Monitoring Software can report them to you. 

I was not happy with the temps so I turned Performance boost off, as well as Precision boost overdrive.  My Temps during the benchmarks and even a fully loaded Prime95 did not get much beyond 60C.    However my Benchmark dropped to 63.

But then I began to think that I was approaching this all wrong.  Instead of adjusting various parameters to keep up performance while maintaining a respectable temperature.   Why not just tell Ryzen to do it's best while staying at a temperature and Wattage that I want?

So I set Core Performance Boost back to Auto, and I set Precision Boost overdrive to advanced.  I set PBO Limits to Manual.  I kept TDC at 95A.  I kept EDC at 140A.  I lowered PPT from 140W to 120W.   Then I set Platform Throttle limit to Manual and typed in 77 for Platform Throttle limit.

I then ran the benchmark.   It got an 83, and it never went over 77C nor pulled more than 120W.

Long and the short of this is that the Processor is Great at Controlling it's environment, as it makes fine adjustments 1000 times a second.   Just let it know what you are comfortable with, Thermals, Current and Power and let it do its thing, and see if it doesn't surprise you.  It did me!

@Gwillakers

Yeah I came to the same conclusion, i think it's true for all of the Ryzen 5000 CPU's.  Mine is a 5800X which in some respects is worse than the 5950x because it only has a single chiplet for the same TDP so potentially twice the heat concentration so difficult to manage heat.

I just recently built my 5800X system, and first time I looked at CPU temps I was shocked (my last system was a Haswell so I'm no stranger to heat LOL) and thought something was wrong, but after doing a lot of reading up I realized these chips run hot by design and can do it safely, to maximize performance (isn't that what we want?).  So it took me a while to wrap my head around the idea that these chips by default simply boost as high as possible for any workload until it hits either a set thermal or power limit.

But these limits can be lowered by us, so if we feel uncomfortable with it running past a certain temperature or power, simply lower the limits and the CPU will respect the lower limits exactly as you mentioned.  The tradeoff is lower performance of course, but thats life.

0 Likes

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience. I have been a happy owner of ASUS X570-E Gaming + 3900XT + H115i Elite Capellix for a year now but I encountered an opportunity to purchase brand new 5950x quite cheaply and utilized it.

After replacing the CPU to 5950x and setting all BIOS options to my own 'default' values (such as enabling D.O.C.P etc. ; CPU replacement forced reset to default settings), I had same issues as these mentioned by many of you in this thread, such as:

- high idle CPU package temp (60 C deg)

- high idle voltage (such as 1,3V arghhh !!!)

- even slight activities (such as opening Chrome) that triggered activity on just 1 or 2 cores instantly boosted CPU package temp to 90 C deg and AIO fans spin up to 100% speed at just 4,3GHz core clock.

AIDA64 stress test on all 16 cores/32 threads made CPU temp rise to maybe 80 C deg but clocks were running at 3,4GHz only and Cinebench test results were way below expectations. AIDA stress tests on just a few cores easily boosted CPU temps to 80-90 C !

Initially I thought there was something wrong with AIO installation (such as putting insufficent amount of thermal paste etc.) but I soon verified everything had been done correctly by me on that side. I was even suspecting CPU to be faulty.

My general feeling was however that CPU core voltages were kept way too high for the clocks that cores were running at.

After having read most of this thread, I performed a few actions, to be honest I do not remember exact sequence and what actually helped me. I did not make any notes. These were:

- resetting BIOS to defaults using hardware jumper (not by loading BIOS defaults)

- setting PBO to On (rather than Auto)

- switching automatic overclock to TPU I and/or TPU II and back to "Keep settings"

After having done that:

- CPU voltage at idle dropped to way below 1V 

- CPU temp at idle dropped to 50 C deg (probably a bit still too high but acceptable for me)

- stress test at all active cores -> CPU clock above 4GHz, temp up to 75C deg

- stress test on subset of cores -> clock up to 4,7GHz, temps do not go beyond 70-75 C deg (which I find acceptable)

- I'm getting expected Cinebench single/multicore results

- in Ryzen Master I can see occasional clock spikes to 5GHz, not seen before these 'steps'

My feeling is that mainboard somehow learned and remembered that 3900XT was still there and this data is not exposed directly in BIOS. Even the CPU replacement induced reset to defaults did not erase these. But one or more of the actions that I took, made it eventusally re-learn correct CPU voltages for 5950X and now I can say I'm happy with my new 5950x.

0 Likes

I found the issue on my machine. I have the ryzen 9 5950x with the msi Meg x570 godlike. It always ran hot since I first built it. While gaming it was around 65-74c. I do not overclock and the chip was always running at high speeds which I figured that’s why it was hot. yesterday I went into the overclock settings and found that core boost was enabled. I turned it off and Now chip runs at base clock speed of 3.4 ghz. Tested it and now I’m gaming in warzone at 40-45c. I Don’t really see the need of overclocking. Personally.  This chip is already a monster at base clock speed. Runs about 170 fps on high settings. 

0 Likes

Ryzen 9 5950x
Asus dark hero x570
4x 32Gig Gskill ddr4
Kracken x63
Amd chipset 3.09.01.140
Asus bios 3801
Default bios settings
Windows 10 21H1

Cpu at 3% utilization would spike from 55c to 75c opening notepad

Windows performance power plan locks the cpu at 4900Mhz

Windows settings > power & sleep > additional power settings > high performance > change advanced power settings > processor power management:

Minimum processor state= 20%
Cooling policy: active
Maximum processor state: 100% (reduce this to 99%)

Cpu now is around 3300Mhz temp never over 55c with 5000 tabs and new-world running

I dont understand why reducing the power plan processor state by 1% causes this change from 4900Mhz to 3300Mhz but this lowers the cpu temperate by 20c at all times.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my cooler that it cannot cool the cpu at 4900Mhz even when its doing the lightest of tasks such as opening notepad. But i have read many comments that have reinstalled their coolers with no benefit.

Balanced plan > processor state 100% was same Mhz and temp as performance plan at 100%
Balanced plan > processor state 99% was same Mhz and temp as performance plan at 99%
Power saver plan > processor state at 100% capped the cpu to 1707Mhz made the computer too slow

0 Likes

Hi @giboune 

CPB is the option Core Performance Boost. If your Bios have a search function, use its field and type there the word boost. You should find it after that. Hope that helps :)

0 Likes

Dears,

Happy New Year,...

I discovered that Gamefirst V was causing my CPU to idle at 75c+...
I have removed this software (which was not opening up in the first place),... and now Idle is 45c - 50c...

Again, I have a Strix E-Gaming x570 and a Kraken z73 Cooler...

Maybe this is of help to you!

Cheers!

Hello Everyone,

I have the following setup and seem to have found the culprit thanks to a previous poster. 

My problems began upon installing the armory crate of software included with my Asus motherboard. It seems Gamefirst V  was causing my CPU to idle anywhere between 65-70 degrees and push the high 70's whilst under load.

Closing and application immediately dropped my CPU package temp to 46-47 degrees. However, I will keep sifting through other comments to see if any other improvements can be found and will keep you all updated.

Current Setup:

• Asus Strix x570-E Asus Motherboard
  • Ryzen 5950x CPU
  • 2x GSkill Neo Z Trident RGB DDR4 3600mhz 16GB Ram Sticks
  • 2x Samsung 980 M2 Driver
  • 360mm Aorus Liquid Cooler
  • 6x Thermaltake Fans (2x Banks of 3)

0 Likes

In fact I have the same temp with a Ventirad Noctua and 3 fans in all... 1 front, 1 ventirad, 1 back.

It make not a lot of noise... but when I play the 3090 (77°C) is louder.

My config is pretty like your :

• Asus Strix x570-E Asus Motherboard
  • Ryzen 5950x CPU
  • 2x GSkill Neo Z Trident RGB DDR4 3600mhz 16GB Ram Sticks
  • 1 Nvme M2 Aorus
  • 3090 MSI Trio
  • Ventirad Noctua nh-u14s

0 Likes

@AlienLoRd 

@AlienLoRd wrote:

Dears,

Happy New Year,...

I discovered that Gamefirst V was causing my CPU to idle at 75c+...
I have removed this software (which was not opening up in the first place),... and now Idle is 45c - 50c...

Again, I have a Strix E-Gaming x570 and a Kraken z73 Cooler...

Maybe this is of help to you!

Cheers!

Happy New Year

I will give this a try as I installed that. I am also running a Strix E mobo.

Will report back.

0 Likes

Hi All,

I've updated to the Beta 3101 BIOS and I've now been able to get to my XMP Values at 3600MHz. Happy times.

With PBO Active through default on the BIOS and profiled on Ryzen Master, I'm now idling at 45-50, with frequent spikes to 60. For such a CPU I'm perfectly happy with that. 

Gaming wise it gets to a max of 85 degrees, depending on the game.

All of these are Package Temp, not socket temp, on custom fan curves.

For comparisons, here's my config:

5950x :)

ROG Hero VIII WiFi

32GB GSkill Trident 3600MHz 16, 19, 19, 19, 39

Corsair H150i PRO XT AIO (Balanced Pump at 2300 RPM)

Aorus RTX 3070 Master

Asus Essence STX 

WD SN750 1TB NVME

Corsair Obsidian 900D case

3 120mm front intake fans

1 140mm rear intake fans

3 120mm fans on the Radiator exhausting

3 fans on the graphic card

1 fan nevers switches on on the PSU

...etc.

My TimeSpy score got to 14263, on multiple runs, CPU never goes over 70 degrees on that.

0 Likes

@astrosquirrel 

Hi buddy. Thanks for sharing. So before updating the bios, you couldn't use the ram at 3600MHz? Strange right?

Do you think it worth to use Ryzen Master? You just only changed the PBO to default and ram at 3600MHz? The rest settings are on default values?

I may try the same what do you think?

@Ero_Sennin wrote:

@astrosquirrel 

Hi buddy. Thanks for sharing. So before updating the bios, you couldn't use the ram at 3600MHz? Strange right?

Do you think it worth to use Ryzen Master? You just only changed the PBO to default and ram at 3600MHz? The rest settings are on default values?

I may try the same what do you think?

Hey dude. Yeah that was it, before I was running the 2206, which is the one the board came with. It wouldn't boot past 3333MHz,, though I could bump the timings to 15, 17, 17, 17, 36. XMP was a no go, immediately giving b0 code and red led. No matter what combo I'd give it on the voltage front, it just wouldn't do it.

Flashed to 3101, rebooted, activated XMP, worked like a charm, though I did see a temp increase, probably due to the FCLCK to 1800.

Honestly from what I've seen from enabling PBO in ryzen master... big meh :)... I wouldn't bother. Having said that, I have yet to play with timings, voltages, etc.

0 Likes

Hi Asto-  I have almost the exact same set up as you and I’m getting similar results.  I’m not sure if the BIOS upgrade helped with the problem or not.  It was primarily turning off the PBO in my case.  There are still programs that cause voltage spikes to over 1.4v and at that point I’m in the 80’s for temp.  At idle right now I run about 40.  The takeaway is to let the BIOS do its thing with the PCB and make sure the PBO is disable.  If you’re still getting high temps at idle, run Taskmaster and see what gobbling up your CPU. 

Speaking of those program, I saw where Epic finally admitted there is a problem with their game launcher and they are attempting a fix.  Glad they finally heard us. 

Hi @erdoc2 

So you actually disabled Precision Boost Overdrive and you let Core Performance Boost enabled? Did you had to disable all settings that have to do with the PBO like the PBO Scalar or just only the PBO option? The rest for you is in the Auto settings in bios or did you change anything else about voltage etc. and anything else at all? Thanks in advanced.

Also it seems Asus removed their latest Beta BIOS version of 28 December and they have again only the stable one. No wonder because when I tried the Beta BIOS, temps went higher than before.

0 Likes

Just an update on my situation.

Uninstalled the gamefirst program and temps went down when loading into Windows. So temp is around 38C now. Settings I have changed from default are PBO off and TPU1 selected. I might try going back to default settings to see what happens now.

0 Likes

Hello there, new to the Forum. 

I got the same Problem running Gigabyte Aorus Master Mainboard, installed the latest Bios (December). For Cooling i use the Corsair h150i elite still the CPU is going up to 90C  when stressed and idling around 50. In total i got 9 Fans installed with optimal Airflow . The most annoying thing is that the cpu temp is increasing (including the vcore) when doing minimal tasks like Crome - always resulting in fans going faster and slower all the time...

When i turn off the PBO Option idling stays around the 50 but stress goes only to 68 - while loosing 10% Performance. I dont think that is acceptable ...

does anyone have and other Ideas what might be a Solution ? 

0 Likes

Zen3 will hit 90C with full PBO under load and that's completely normal.

0 Likes

La mia configurazione

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi

Gigabyte GT 1030 Low Profile 2G..... Aspettando per febbraio Asus GeForce RTX 3080 ROG STRIX Gaming OC 10G

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 1.35V

Western Digital SN850 da 500 GB

Western Digital WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD due banchi da 1 TB

Asus ROG-THOR-1200P Unità di Alimentazione Platinum da 1200 W

NZXT Kraken X73 360mm Raffreddatore di liquido

Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ARGB

TEMPERATURE IDE 40 GRADI

CON BIOS ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-HERO-WIFI-ASUS-3101 BETA

CON CORE TEMP MIN 40 MAX 49

0 Likes

Really? I don’t think it’s normal to stay at 60c in Idle, spiking to 75-80 when you open a Chrome tab, with everything custom watercooled. I see a lot of these comments from people who say it’s normal. If you go and watch every review you won’t see these temps. In my rig, with just PBO on, it basically throttles . In Cinebench R20 it gets to 87C and clicks down to 4000mhz. The weird part is, a few days ago it stayed at 4500mhz and hit only 75c. Didn’t touch any settings, it just went mad after. There are serious Bios and chipset problems here, and a lot of people are reporting it. If it’s meant to hit 90c, why is it downclocking?

0 Likes

Hi @CalinB 

Happy new year. If you read previous comments here, you will find my post that includes the screenshot of what answers I got from AMD regarding this. Well according to AMD the 5950x is designed to work easy at 95 degrees Celsius. So they didn't considered it as an issue or something. I also sent to Asus an email but still not answer and it's about 1 month and something.

Now if you ask me yes I don't want also to have a CPU running that high in temps. Also it's maybe the first time that we see temps like that to idle and some pushing processes. So if AMD has right I hope it's fine and we don't have to worry. But from the other side from many tests I did with the BIOS, it seems to be something wrong of how motherboards handle the voltages for the 5950x.

That's why I hope we are getting soon new BIOS and new AGESA that will improve everything while settings are in stock values in BIOS. In my case now I have disabled PBO and CPB and I used the Asus TPU setting 2. The CPU now is running with a stable frequency of 4.1GHz and in Idle I'm getting 38-43 degrees while with a bit stress I am getting 65-66.

But keep in mind that I am still using an air cooler that is actually design for the 5800x while I am waiting the AIO liquid cooler for 5950x. But I am not really sure if I will see big differences even when I will change the cooler.

I am thinking when I will change to liquid cooler, to use a stable frequency of 4.9GHz and have voltages settings in Auto and see if it works. And if it not, I will try to monitor the voltage when the CPU gets an auto boost and reach 4.9GHz, that is the default higher value and then use this voltage value manually in the BIOS voltage option.

What we actually need here it's to get the most out of the 5950x so for me it's not a solution if we just use it in lower frequencies just to get lower temps. I hope we are getting some help or answers from AMD and motherboard Manufacturers finally!

0 Likes

Please let us know if you’re successful in getting a stable all core boost to 4.9 ghz.  The most I was able to do was 4.5-4.6 before stability problems began.  Don’t forget that the 4.9 gHz boost that the chip advertises is for single core only.  

So when the CPU using the auto boost and reach 4.9GHz it's only for some specific cores that will work as a single core you mean? Or they will just work only for processes that requires single core handling. However I am sure that if I change the value to 4.9GHz and disable CPB and PBO, all the cores will showing up running at 4.9GHz.

The first thing I will try when I ll get the liquid cooler is to let everything in Auto settings but disable PBO and have enabled the CPB. And of course use the RAM as now to their max speeds of 3600MHz. Will update when the time will come. Couriers are so late this period and waiting still even for my GPU and the thermal paste I bought for the liquid cooler.

0 Likes

Yes, when they rate the boost of the CPU, it usually is the single core boost rating.  If you can get all the cores up to 4.9, you’ve really won the silicon lottery.  Please keep us posted. 

0 Likes