cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ptejack
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 5950x - Motherboard Locks Up and Programs Freeze

So, I've built my dream machine (almost, still waiting availability of new GPUs and still flip flopping between the Nvidia and AMD Flagships (the Asus Strix RTX3080TI if it manifests itself is looking very tempting)).

Current system specs are:

CPU: Ryzen9 5950x

GPU: MSI Armor RX580 MkII (8gb)

RAM: G.Skill TridentZ Neo Pt# F4-3200C16-32GTZN (3200 CL16) 2x32Gb 

MotherBoard Asus Strix X570-e Gaming (Firmware Version 3001) 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master LiquidMaster ML360R RGB

Storage: 2x M.2 Seagate FireCuda520 1TB (Gen4), 1X Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB, 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB SSDs, 1x Seagate ST4000DM004-2CV104 4TB, 1x ST1000DM003-1CH162 1TB Mechanical HHDs

With this system I use productivity software like Blender, Unity, Substance Painter, GIMP, MS office products, Adobe products and I have quite a few Triple A game titles I play both on Desktop monitors and in VR. I also produce videos and GIF images using Camtasia and SnagIt at resolutions up to 4K UHD.

I can't pinpoint the problem I'm having to any certain event, but I'll be working away and all of a sudden Programs stop responding. I can move the cursor, but opened programs freeze and I can't launch anything new or close already opened software.

I look at my case and all ARGB lighting on the motherboard, Ram Chips, Water Pump and Cooler Fans are also frozen. (Current theme of the ARGB is Asus Strix Armory Crate Starry Night)  

The only way to recover is to do a hard shut down with the power button or use the Reset Switch.

The motherboard Bios is set to default settings and I'm not overclocking the CPU or the GPU. CPU temps on restart are between 38 and 43 degrees C (so it's not an overheating issue) 

I had an AMD Ryzen5 3400G with the stock Wraith cooler in this machine when I first built it waiting for availability of the 5950x. I didn't have any problems with that combination. This situation only started happening after I swapped out the CPU and cooler.   

Can anyone here advise? Is there a problem with this hardware combination?? Is there a problem with the Ryzen9 5950x? Who can I contact at AMD for support?

Thanks

PteJack

0 Likes
1 Reply
k1dblitz
Adept II

Did you find a solution to your problem?

I've been searching around, and this seems to be somewhat common for the 5950x, unfortunately.

Mine ran great for about a year or so... and then I started experiencing random freezes. I tried everything I could possibly think of. 

I even got a different a brand mobo - and that seemed to take care of it - for awhile.. and then it came back.

Long story short after all the troubleshooting,  I settled on a manual all core overclock to 4.5 with a manual voltage. It has been much more stable - but still hard freezes sometimes. 🤷‍

0 Likes