Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

N4SR
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 5900x

Hello

I apologise in advance for the book I wrote.

I recently bought a ryzen 5 9000x in the last few weeks but had issues booting up my system. (PC was working fine with my old 2700 with no problems whatsoever)

(My pc specs can be found at the bottom of the forum)

Bios: latest beta version that supports the ryzen 9 5900x

When I first installed the CPU, it booted straight up and confirmed that I had installed a new CPU, and I then proceeded to log in. After a few moments, my screen went black, fans were spinning faster, and RGB fans and GPU lighting were still on but had no power to my keyboard or mouse.

I tried to turn off the pc using my case power button but had no luck, so I pressed the restart and power buttons to turn it off. I waited a few moments and turned it back on. I had the same issue again but couldn't post this time.

Please note that I had installed a Corsair iCUE H150i PRO XT RGB Liquid CPU Cooler at the same time.

I contacted the seller, and the seller agreed to provide a replacement.

I received the replacement today and installed it, but it booted up correctly with no issues this time.

I launched Rust and loaded up a server and played for 20-30m; then suddenly, my screen turned off, there was no power to keyboard or mouse, and fans were spinning faster. ( this happened a few times as I was trying to figure out what was causing the issue)

Thermal paste has sufficient coverage and isn't overflowing or too little, and I ran cinerbench and rainbow six and had the problem again.

According to MSI dragon centre, my CPU temps were between 65-69c when playing. So I restarted, hopped back in, and the same thing happened again.

When posting this post, I had no games running and experienced no issues (up time: 1h with Rust on the main menu for 30m)

PC Spec's

Mobo: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO Graphics Card
RAM: Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (8*4)
Power Supply: EVGA 850w 80plus gold
Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i PRO XT RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Case: Sahara p75 (With UpHere fans)
BIOS: the latest beta version which supports the CPU
Storage: 1x 500gb SSD, 3tb HDD

I don't know much about PCs but had checked pcpartpicker for any issues and had asked a friend, but he wasn't sure. I have checked the event log but could not find anything and have checked all my cables.

I hope you can provide a solution to this whilst I wait for AMD's response.

Thank you for your time

0 Likes
5 Replies
jhaidariye
Adept II

Your problem seems to have started since you switched your CPU, so did you first check whether your motherboard supports the new processor or not? Second, if your new processor is supported by the motherboard, did you install it well? If you do everything right, the new processor may not be compatible with some of your hardware, so try to return the previous processor to check the above.

Yes, I've only started experiencing issues since upgrading my CPU.

My motherboard does support the 5900x and I have updated my BIOS to the latest beta version ( that version supports the Ryzen 9 5900x) and I have made sure I installed the CPU correctly. 

My pc works fine when I switch back to my old 2700. 

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Ac 

0 Likes
kurdtnz
Adept III

Motherboard probably needs a BIOS update to run the 5000 series cpu.

0 Likes

Motherboard is upto date ( Has the latest Beta version whihc support my new CPU)

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Have you updated the CPU Chipset driver on your MOBO.

Your getting limited functionality and you haven't mentioned any thermal shutdown issues.

This seems to rule out hardware issues. I would definitely check the CPU socket to see if any thermal compound got in there. 

I would try to reflash the BIOS since you stated that the BIOS update to run that CPU is a BETA version which may not have installed completely or may be unstable.

Couldn't hurt to run a Command Prompt as admin sfc /scannow to check OS for missing files do the same after a restart and run CHKDSK C:/f for a quick check of your storage file integrity.

Also check windows update for .Net Framework updates that are pending.

Hope this advice helps good luck.

0 Likes