cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

visualsuspect
Adept I

RYZEN 9 5900X Overheats?!

Hello i am having trouble with my processor. I just bough the pc brand new and i am using ryzen 9 5900x with a nzxt kraken x53. When i don't touch the pc usually stays at 37-40 degrees. But when i am starting to open chrome or instal an app it starts to getting hot. For example i putted photoshop to get installed and goes up to 60 degrees. I don't want to see what will happen with gaming. I installed all drivers, i even used ryzen power balanced. It's just isn't quite stable even with a light work. In Ryzen Master i looked the processor and randomly it increases the clock speed by a lot when i am doing light work. My thermal paste is ok, my cooler is ok. I checked everything that has to do with software and the nzxt cooler. What is hapenning? In youtube i saw tests on games and it maxed at 57-58 degrees. On mine i can imagine it go over 70 degrees. This noise from the fans when it gets high it driving me crazy.

To tell it more simple. There are spikes of temperature in very light work.

0 Likes
24 Replies

Re: RYZEN 9 5900X Overheats?!

That's normal operation. The Boost algorithms will up the voltage and clock speeds as long as thermal headroom allows. Also, as you should know, liquid takes a relatively long period of time to heat up. This, combined with the fact that when not under load the unused CPU cores will downclock and downvolt which lead to very low idle temps and cause a relatively large spike in temperatures when they're put under load as they clock and volt back up, is just giving the illusion you have a problem.

The thermal maximum for the 5900X is 90*C so it's well with the safe zone.
visualsuspect
Adept I

So by having these spikes every time i try just to open chrome is normal? or when i do a scan on ESET for viruses hits 60 degrees? This means it takes a lot of watt which isn't efficiency.

0 Likes
Th0rHere
Journeyman III

As the other threads here and even more on Reddit.

This doesn't look like it's normal, the temps shouldn't be spiking so much, even with single boost clocking high this doesnt look normal.

My 5950x is showing insane temps for a custom loop with 2 x 360mm radiators.

My theory is that something is causing the temps to report incorrectly as I just don't see these legitimately getting this hot and if that was the case that would make these awful processors

0 Likes
visualsuspect
Adept I

So... lets hope will be getting an update on that?

0 Likes
delToros
Journeyman III

Hi! Any update ob issue? I have same proble  if i don't touch pc tenp is 35-45. But even if lightest work starts, temps are >70... just downloading game on gog.com is 70-72

0 Likes
giboune
Adept I

Which motherboard do you have? It seems that there is some problem with the Asus ones.

Like mine... ROG Strix X570-E Gaming.

45°C idle.

70/80°C in game.

0 Likes
delToros
Journeyman III

Not only Asus. Gigabyte x570 here. I've set CPU_FAN to Voltage and it seems temps are little better. 54 right not with pump at full speed (just using Opera).

I doubt it is my AIO issue. It worked fine on my 2700x

0 Likes
ScotchFury
Challenger

Try checking for & changing Performance Enhance from Auto to Default.. 

See if that helps at all?

0 Likes
delToros
Journeyman III

You mean in Ryzen Master? It is set to default...

It is kinda strange. Basically it is like that:

Complete idle (I am not touching keyboard) - 45

Browsing in opera - 65-70

Playing cyberpunk - 80 tops, usually few points below. Is it normal? Healthy?

0 Likes