cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

RYZEN 9 5900X Overheats?!

Hello i am having trouble with my processor. I just bough the pc brand new and i am using ryzen 9 5900x with a nzxt kraken x53. When i don't touch the pc usually stays at 37-40 degrees. But when i am starting to open chrome or instal an app it starts to getting hot. For example i putted photoshop to get installed and goes up to 60 degrees. I don't want to see what will happen with gaming. I installed all drivers, i even used ryzen power balanced. It's just isn't quite stable even with a light work. In Ryzen Master i looked the processor and randomly it increases the clock speed by a lot when i am doing light work. My thermal paste is ok, my cooler is ok. I checked everything that has to do with software and the nzxt cooler. What is hapenning? In youtube i saw tests on games and it maxed at 57-58 degrees. On mine i can imagine it go over 70 degrees. This noise from the fans when it gets high it driving me crazy.

To tell it more simple. There are spikes of temperature in very light work.

0 Likes
26 Replies

That's normal operation. The Boost algorithms will up the voltage and clock speeds as long as thermal headroom allows. Also, as you should know, liquid takes a relatively long period of time to heat up. This, combined with the fact that when not under load the unused CPU cores will downclock and downvolt which lead to very low idle temps and cause a relatively large spike in temperatures when they're put under load as they clock and volt back up, is just giving the illusion you have a problem.

The thermal maximum for the 5900X is 90*C so it's well with the safe zone.

So by having these spikes every time i try just to open chrome is normal? or when i do a scan on ESET for viruses hits 60 degrees? This means it takes a lot of watt which isn't efficiency.

0 Likes

As the other threads here and even more on Reddit.

This doesn't look like it's normal, the temps shouldn't be spiking so much, even with single boost clocking high this doesnt look normal.

My 5950x is showing insane temps for a custom loop with 2 x 360mm radiators.

My theory is that something is causing the temps to report incorrectly as I just don't see these legitimately getting this hot and if that was the case that would make these awful processors

0 Likes

So... lets hope will be getting an update on that?

0 Likes

Hi! Any update ob issue? I have same proble  if i don't touch pc tenp is 35-45. But even if lightest work starts, temps are >70... just downloading game on gog.com is 70-72

Which motherboard do you have? It seems that there is some problem with the Asus ones.

Like mine... ROG Strix X570-E Gaming.

45°C idle.

70/80°C in game.

0 Likes

Not only Asus. Gigabyte x570 here. I've set CPU_FAN to Voltage and it seems temps are little better. 54 right not with pump at full speed (just using Opera).

I doubt it is my AIO issue. It worked fine on my 2700x

0 Likes

Try checking for & changing Performance Enhance from Auto to Default.. 

See if that helps at all?

0 Likes

You mean in Ryzen Master? It is set to default...

It is kinda strange. Basically it is like that:

Complete idle (I am not touching keyboard) - 45

Browsing in opera - 65-70

Playing cyberpunk - 80 tops, usually few points below. Is it normal? Healthy?

0 Likes

I have the same specs. My CPU did hit the maximum 90 degrees. I don’t know how to fix it.. :(

0 Likes

If you're hitting 80C+ with PBO disabled and high-end air or AIO cooling, that isn't normal. If PBO is enabled and caps set to "motherboard" it's totally normal though.

AMD says Zen3 can handle 90C all day long no problem, but I'm not comfortable with that either, so I set my PBO caps manually to 162w PPT, 115A TDC, 160A EDC which has me hitting around 77C at full load. The actual numbers you want depend on the temperature you're comfortable running and your cooling. I'm on high-end air (NH-D15) but if you've got a 360mm AIO or whatever you can certainly go higher.

0 Likes

What motherboard, bios, voltages, and cooler are you running? I am using an almost 3 year old H100i in quiet mode with PBO and voltage set to mother board maximum on an x570 taichi. I am regularly boosting to 5.16 on light workloads and 4.49 all core on cinebench with temps hovering around 77 after multiple passes. On 3dmark with an overclocked reference 6900xt dumping loads of hot air into an o11-d XL cpu temps never really go above 70 on the cpu

0 Likes
Idkwhatsmyusername69
Journeyman III

Same here, didn't have that problem with 5600x i think I'm returning the 5900x unfortunately. It's giving me headache trying to figure out why it just spikes randomly for no reason on desktop. 

0 Likes
mrsense
Adept II

NZXT CAM just sux with AMD system

You should try "FanControl" to set the maximum fan speed to the best noise/cooling ratio.

https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

0 Likes
Elad1994
Journeyman III

same issue here 

cpu idle 40-50 with spikes to the 55 58 

on gaming the cpu have wierd spikes i saw it reach 83C on cod cold war on the fking menu on actually game play getting 70-80C

this issue driving me crazy brand new pc 

ppl told me on forums its because my radiator mounted on top and not on front some ppl say this temps are normal some ppl say 240mm radiator not even enought for this cpu on the other hand i see ppl complaning on the same issue with front or top 360mm radiator i really dont know why it is happening im feeling hopeless

motherboard:asus rog strix b550 F gaming wifi

cpu cooler:corsair hydro h100x 240mm top mounted

0 Likes

Don’t worry. Your temperatures are normal.

0 Likes

Just installed a new combo with 5900x.

My temps are 35-40 idle, depending on time. At start 35, but when the liquid heats a bit, 40. Stress testing the CPU, I don’t go past 65-67. 

0 Likes

What motherboard if I may ask?

0 Likes
kolyanechaev
Journeyman III

Hey!

Try setting these values:
PPT - 150W
TDC - 125A
EDC - 125A
The voltage on all processor cores should be with a negative bias from -0.05 to -0.1 V. It is selected empirically.

0 Likes

Stresstest cb20 and cb23 resultet in 55-56 C but have an really overkill watercoolingsystem with old Phobya Xtreme SUPERNOVA 1260, but started to act strange in games and then died totally. Really rethinking to go back to Intel again.

0 Likes

Just signed up to make a thread then saw this one

Am I being paranoid or not...

Recently built the following pc:

Rtx 3090, 5900x, 3600 crucial RAM, Noctua nh-u12s, MSI x570 tomhawk mobo, 850w corsair psu and MSI 110r gungir case (3 intake fans at front, 1 at back and 1 on top)

Monitor 1440p 240hz ips Gigabyte Aorus

I haven't done any overclocking and wouldn't even know how to, everything is stock out of the box

My idle temperatures are around 40 degrees Celsius but when I play games they tend to remain at 80+, I downloaded apex legends yesterday and have been playing that. I don't consider it to be a particularly intensive game to play but on CPUID HWMonitor it just went up to a maximum of 91 and it was highlighted red on the screen. If I set the game settings to low it seems to make no difference, it only happens when I play games.

On cinebench I got max 69 degrees and 20417 multicore, 1576 single core.

How do I fix this?

(also side note, the ryzenmaster app doesn't show the temperature when I open it, it just constantly reads 0)

0 Likes

5900x w/3080 evga,tachi x570,Rog Strix Lc360 at idle in at 40c but when I’m surfing the net it’s starts to spike 65-70! With fans at 750rpm! I load a game and bam spikes to 75-81c! But if I ramp up the fans to 1600rpm it’s drops to 65-70! New Pc Build 

0 Likes

I just bought a 5900x from AMD. Was going to replace the 5600x in my brand new build with it. But all these spike stories are making me think that might not be the best thing. Got a Kraken Z53 mounted to top of a Lian li Mesh 2. 3 Unifans for frnt intake, Using the 2 NZXT kraken fans for bottom intake, 1 Unifan for back exhaust and 2Unifans attached to the rad in push exhaust config. Currently idles at 32c highest I have noticed is 55c. X570 tuff wifi plus mobo. AORUS 3070 master barely come on because it stays around 35-45c. Should I switch to 5900x?

0 Likes

nh-u12s seems kind of unfit for the job, you need a cooler that can dissipate more heat. try NH-D15 SE-AM4 if you want to stick with air cooling and noctua brand

0 Likes
kaiman76
Journeyman III

check if there is "game firs IV" among the active processes and kill it.
If the CPU temperature drops, uninstall the program.

0 Likes
jetway
Journeyman III

Sorry but all the "issues" listed here are no issues. The 5900x is designed to take 90C, and the spikes in Temperature are perfectly normal. If You put load onto it, it spikes and settles as the cooling increases. If you throw wood onto a fire, the flames get more significant; the same happens with a processor.

It also depends on what kind of cooling you are using. If your cooling is crap, then it's your own fault. 

0 Likes