Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

SEVERYN4YK
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 5900X high usage in games, low gpu load, terrible performance

Hello everyone,

I have serious problems with gaming performance of my computer. First of all, I provide its specs :

Processor : AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Motherboard : ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming ( BIOS version : 4002)

Memory : 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHZ CL16 (4 x 8gb)

Graphics card : EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA

Power supply : Corsair HX850

Everything except the graphics card (installed on 23rd of July) has been used since January - February 2021. 

Problem description : While testing gaming performance of freshly installed GPU, I noticed that its usage is abnormally low. In fact, I am unable to reach a “healthy” 98-99% GPU usage. I thought that it was due to bad optimization of some titles, but it appears it’s not the case.

For example, let’s evaluate the hardware behavior in Cyberpunk 2077. Let’s assume that in location “X” I have 70 FPS at 1440p on Ultra preset with DLSS “Quality”. The GPU usage stays around ~85%. As for the CPU, it is at 40-50% ! This is astonishingly high and after seeing multiple YouTube videos recorded on same hardware with 5900X usage about 25% and Geforce RTX 3080, 3080 Ti or 3090 usage at constant 99% - I became concerned about the performance of my own hardware. After lowering the settings or changing DLSS to “Balanced” preset - I still have the same 70 FPS, but with GPU usage of 70%. Lowering the resolution to 1080p, setting DLSS to “Performance” - the GPU usage drops down to 50% or even 40% and the FPS remains at 70. For sure, V-sync and Frame Limiters were disabled in every program possible. I revealed that the only way to experience full GPU usage (99%) is to max out everything and run the game in native resolution. CPU usage remains pretty identical in each case. From what I can tell, it seems like the GPU can utilize its full potential only in obvious “GPU bound” scenario. If settings are lowered, graphics card is limited by something else (probably strangely behaving CPU).

Next, GTA V. Even though EVGA support team told me it’s ridiculous to test “modern hardware” on 8 year old game, I decided to do it anyway. I have already experienced this game on a gaming laptop and its GPU usage was at 99% no matter what. Now, with even more advanced hardware, I encounter the same problems as in Cyberpunk 2077. 1440P, Max preset, MSAA X8 - gpu usage above 95%, three digit value fps. Slight graphics quality reduction - the GPU usage drops and the performance sees no improvement. CPU usage can reach mid 30’s which is also very strange for such “antediluvian” game.

Okay, to finalize - Need For Speed : Heat. Again, I already knew that normally this game runs well and shouldn’t be a cause of a concern. Unfortunately, the performance I’ve seen was among the worst. I maxed out every possible graphic setting and CPU load never dropped below 45% and remains near 55% most of the time (normally, this model tops at ~20%). Ridiculous. The GPU usage stays around ~75% and even falls down to ~50%.

In task manager, CPU load can reach 70% while gaming. GPU usage is presented by unstable curve hovering around values I presented.

It’s useless to talk about other games I tested because it’s always the same issue I encounter - sometimes in better or worse form.

I was blaming the new GPU and was almost sure that it’s defective. However, after spending 10 days on discussion with EVGA customer support, I start to think I was wrong. The card performed perfectly in 3D Mark Time Spy benchmark, with constant load of 98-99%. Without serious preparation, I managed to achieve an excellent score : https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21883335

What did I do while trying to solve the issue ? Here is the list : 

1. Changed every possible power setting to high performance in Nvidia Control Panel and Windows 10.

2. Reverted the GPU to stock settings.

3. Overclocked the CPU to an all-core 4.7 Ghz instead of basic PBO.

4. Disabled D.O.C.P (XMP) memory profile.

5. Performed a clean GPU driver installation.

6. After learning about multiple complaints about ASUS software, I deleted ASUS AI Suite III. To delete its every trace, I also cleaned the registry and reinstalled Windows with Media Creation Tool.

7. Deleted all remaining programs in relation wit ASUS (with register cleanup). Performed data backup and reinstalled Windows again with data wipeout.

8. Refused to install Geforce Experience again.

9. Enabled hardware accelerated GPU scheduling.

10. In BIOS, forced PCIE 4.0 configuration for each motherboard slot (instead of Auto).

11. Updated vBIOS to the latest version released a few days ago.

None of these methods was helpful to fix the issue.

For reference, I have already conducted multiple CPU tests in Cinebench R23. In May, I was able to reach a score of 23956 pts with a stable 4.7 Ghz all-core overclock, 1.3475 V voltage and 88 degrees Celsius temperature. A few days ago, I checked my processor on stock settings and the result was normal.

So, I would be grateful if you could give me some advice in this situation. Regarding high processor usage, may it be possible that my unit is defective ? I assume it limits somehow the GPU performance  even though Ryzen 9 5900X is not susceptible to do that. It remains a guess, but I have no more idea who I need to blame after my investigation.

Thank you for understanding.

Sincerely,

Severyn

0 Likes
4 Replies

Find 5900X owners threads on Overclockers forums, they'll help with optimizing/bios settings.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
sfaa7
Journeyman III

Did you solve the problem  

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

A couple things to do/check:

1) Make sure you have not capped FPS in games graphical settings, nor in GPU's control panel. I often cap FPS to half of monitors Hz to reduce heat and cooler noise, and to get more balanced FPS.

2) Make sure your monitor is not set to 60, 70 or 75Hz after reinstallation of software. You might need to set it back to its highest supported refresh rate. If monitor is set to say 70Hz and you have vertical sync, or freesync or Gsync enabled, it simply won't go faster until you change settings. (edit: it will also cap FPS, not just refresh rate)

3) When you have a 12c/24th CPU, most if any game engines are simply unable to utilize that many cores and threads. That is why in gaming 6c/12th CPU's are often almost as fast as 12-16 core ones. As an example, no matter how demanding some program is, if it is designed to use only one core and you have twelve, highest CPU load you get is 1/12th, or ~8%.

4) While using an old Windows installation after upgrading hardware (mb+cpu, gpu aso.) usually works, it can behave strangely - like not running at full speed. Then a clean reinstall of Windows, drivers and the rest from scratch is pretty much the only way to fix it.

5) I you have a 3080, you are likely better of without DLSS unless you have 4K monitor. 3080 with some 1080p or 1440p monitor and DLSS doesn'r necessarily stress you GPU that much. 

0 Likes
soupladel
Adept II

I have just moved from a 5950x and never had anything like this level of hassle with a 3080Ti (Asus Tuf) i never had to spend any great length of time optimising the CPU either other than getting curve optimiser set up and tested for stability.

So, you say you have done a clean install of the video drivers, was that by choosing the custom install option and ticking the "Clean Install" option when installing the Nvidia drivers? if so, and apologies if this is something you have already tried, but it could be worth downloading DDU and running it in safe mode to remove all Video drivers from the system.  Then doing a fresh install from there.

Another thing you haven't mentioned is Chipset drivers - sure Windows will use its own drivers for these, but i will always recommend downloading the latest chips driver from the AMD website.

Monitors, as suggested above check the refresh rate hasn't reverted to something lower, but something else i always do is get the correct drivers for the monitors.  By default windows will use generic ones and that is almost certainly good enough, but my OCD doesn't like seeing anything generic.

I know you have spent time speaking to EVGA, but how are you powering the GPU? a common mistake is to use the daisy chain cable to plug into the GPU, but i think you should always use separate cable from the PSU to each of the connectors on the GPU.

Something else worth considering is whether the PCIE Gen 4 lanes to the GPU are being reduced by the use of m.2 drives or other Gen 4 devices, i am not familiar with your motherboard but i know on most of them having multiple gen 4 devices reduces the available lanes.

0 Likes