Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Dan_Victory
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 3950x Performance Issues

Hello :D

This is my first post and I'm hoping that I can get some insight on the lacking performance I've noticed with my new CPU.
I use my machine for audio editing and mastering.

For the most part the performance with 3950x fairly blew my mind (as I came from a 10 year old i7!)  The most Cpu intensive tasks my CPU will be exposed to are batch processing of voice over stems, massive post production sessions in Pro Tools and Visual Instrument projects in Cubase, both of these have many instances of plugins and most times the CPU meters in both DAWs are hardly moving past 30 to 50% resources utilisation. 

My problem is that my CPU never EVER boosts anywhere near the advertised 4.7 GHz. Infact the single core speed some times fails to boost past 3.8 Ghz.  The highest I've ever seen it boost during my most intensive work loads, or R20, CPU Z etc has been 4.12 GHz.  

This really bugs me as I spent a pretty penny on the unit hoping for a good balance of single core and multi core as I needed both for completeing different tasks.  

Many thanks in advanced,

Dan

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

My Tech Specs.  

Mobo  -  x570 Taichi

CPU    -   3950x

Sink    -  Pure Loop 360 mm AIO

Ram   -   Vengence 3600mhz, 32GB, CL16

C:  -  Samsung EVO Pro 1TB Nvme

D:  - Sabrent Rocket 2TB Nvme

PSU   -   850watt Seasonic Gold +

Case  -  BeQuiet 500DX

Case Fans  -   BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 x 3

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

0 Likes
1 Reply

You would not be the first one to complain the 3950 does not hit peak speed.

This was even reported by many of the tech sites soon after the 3950 was introduced. 

Many of them don't and I agree they should.

However many people don't understand what that peak really is. 

It is not all cores, it is one core, the best core that will hit peak speed and that is typically only for seconds at a time if at all, not sustained however. With heavy single thread workloads it will alternate between the two best cores. You won't ever see the peek speed in multi threaded workloads. 

Use an application that can keep a log of the core speeds and see if it ever hits the top speed on one core or close to it. 

If you are falling way short of what it should do,  you have every right to ask for an RMA. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

0 Likes