cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

SolidShock
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 3900X overheating issues!

Okay,  so I've been saving up for a new computer for a while. Gladly, I've made good friends with a buddy who owns his own online store for selling pc parts, so he was okay with order parts for me and building the pc for me.
The build: Here  (Except mine actually has a 1660TI)

When I got the pc, I got Windows on it, update the BIOS, Windows 10, NVIDIA and Chipset drivers all to the newest versions I could find.

So the system itself has a dual-fan CPU cooler (CoolerMaster MA610P) and 4 other system fans. I noticed the fans liked to go up and down, up and down when just sitting idle on the desktop. I got Ryzen Master and yeah, idle temps were around 49C-59C, sometimes spiking to 69C when I moved my mouse. I got worried, so I checked around the place for why this would happen. I tuned my smart fans in the bios, so they don't go up and down, which resolved the fan issue.
I checked to make sure the cooler was properly installed and wasn't wobbily, all of that was fine. Then I talked to my friend and a few other smarter people about hardware and they said I should run some benchmarks.

I downloaded Cinebench and ran it. In the first 8 seconds my CPU instantly maxes out at 95C and out of being scared that something can go south, I stopped the test. I played CSGO for a while, there I was averaging around 77C while playing.. bit weird, later I downloaded Heroes & Generals, there I only had 30% cpu usage in task manager, but managed to hit around 80-83C!!! That's when I instantly understood something is wrong.
From all the info I read online, my cooler is a good chunk better than the stock, so knowing that the stock one is good enough, this one should be plenty. I think it shouldn't go over 85C even if my usage were to be around 80-90%.
Core Temp also showed that I started to thermally throttle and lose speed when running Cinebench.

Right now I honestly don't know what to do. I can't buy a different cooler, but I honestly have a feeling the chip may be the one at fault, since I've seen online other people using this combo and they're fine! Please help!

0 Likes
6 Replies

Hi, sorry to hear about the temps. 

I was just involved in another thread of a new build with the same processor with same issue. Both you guys are using decent coolers.

He is on a Gigabyte board. You didn't give your full system specs. 

Instead of replicating all of what we went through please look through that thread maybe try what applies for you and report back. 

Again I know this is frustrating. 

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/3900x-bad-3dmark-time-spy-score-and-temp/m-p/427712#M34904

I think there is a good chance you do have a bad CPU the links to warranty are on that other thread too. Or if you can exchange it at the retailer. 

Good Luck!

0 Likes

So, after reading through that forum, the main thing that solved it for him was increasing the amount of air the case got by opening the side.
I have 3 front input fans (double checked that they are blowing in) and one output, that blows out. I have tried entirely removing the front panel to get maximum airflow and it hasn't changed the temps any more than like 1-2C.

• Graphics Card
    • 1660TI
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • CPU/APU Make and model number
    • Ryzen 9 3900X
  • Motherboard Make & Model + Bios Revision
    • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F11k, 11/25/2020
  • Power Supply Unit Make & Model + Wattage
    • SilentiumPC 750W 80+ Gold
  • System Memory Make & Model + Frequency
    • GSkill Ripjaws 16GB 2x8 3600 CL16

I also have the newest AM4 B550 chipset driver: Revision Number 2.10.13.408 Release date: 10/19/2020.

0 Likes
FD89
Adept II

Hi!

I got a similar issue, I've partially solved this issue by changinf my thermal past and tightened the cooler screw firmly (dont exagerate too ;) ).

I'm hitting now 75-83Deg C when I'm doing cinebench (multi core test).

Hope it'll help you a little bit

0 Likes

Too many people are having this problem for it not to be a serious bug..this is the first time I've had a build have such high idle temps. Something is definitely wrong.

Slightly annoyed AMD have yet to address this but even mentioning that their looking into it.

Maybe this CPUs just get too hot.

0 Likes

It's not a bug.  If you're getting high idle temperatures, either you haven't properly mounted your cooler, or your case is an oven with no air flow.  Or both.

0 Likes
OneKellyOrdered
Journeyman III

Did you have this resolved? My specs are similiar to you and my CPU/Motherboard are running on average ~50C. I even just had it cleaned with some new thermal paste and it's still doing it...

0 Likes