cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tzhrun
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 3900x is out of stock

I've placed Ryzen 9 3900x on pre-order on launch day just after 3pm in the UK and it is still out of stock and, as I understand, it is the same everywhere. There are costumers already cancelling their order and turning to the competitor instead according to forum posts so I came here to seek for some answers since we can't get any from our retailers - again, according to costumer's posts under the regarding topic on forums.

92 Replies

Thanks for the article. It appears that this issue runs across the whole 3000 series line? So which to buy while we wait, ugh.I guess I'll go cheapest route and hope that this is ironed out soon, then buy a higher level 3000. Frustrating.

0 Likes

I'm not sure how useful it is to have a version with all fast cores.  Even in the 2000 series, where that was the case, the 2700X boosted to 4.3 GHz on low threaded tasks, and then to about 4.1 GHz on an all core boost.  So when all the cores are in use, the extra headroom isn't being utilized anyway. 

On the flip side, having cores that can all achieve the max boost speed does eliminate the scheduler overhead.  In the 3000 series the OS has to "know" which are the fast cores and load them preferentially, which is just another thing that can go wrong.

The 3900X does seem to outperform even the 2920X series Threadripper part despite a memory channel disadvantage.  In reality, software programs should be reading from RAM as little as possible to prevent bottlenecks.  The 2920X is a great example, it has double the memory channels and has all fast cores, yet it is beaten by the 3900X in the vast majority of applications.  That's because the Ryzen 3000 series has double the cache of even the threadripper part.  More cache equals less RAM reads, and that is going to be faster than even quad channel memory. 

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-TR-2920X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/m625966vs4044

Sure, the TR 3000 parts will likely have doubled cache AND quad channel memory.  But as to how useful 2 memory channels is for twelve core...well, more useful than the quad channel twelve core of the previous generation thanks to all that added cache. 

0 Likes
islandg
Adept I

amdmattamdmiketzhrun This also greatly concerns me, I live in North America and I placed a pre-order on B & H photo because Newegg and Best Buy were out of stock within the same day of release and Amazon didnt even have it yet at the time and they didn't have a pre-order option like B&H Photo.  But here's the kicker that is pissing me off, under the sites pre-order button at the time, it stated "Will be shipped by July 12th, 2019"  and then that time came nothing happened.

I complained to them about how misleading having that date there was and told them it was false advertising, and their excuse was "oh the vendor at the time said that they were to send us stock of the item but it turned out that wasn't the case and we are still waiting to hear from them after we reached out to them more than once.  Unfortunately we do not have an eta on when product will be back in stock and we are still waiting for vendor"

So these people going just take my money for pre-order by putting money in a hold status, and then I get this s**t?  Were'nt AMD suppose to have "plenty" stock upon release???  I find this rather misleading and the E-Tailers are no better cause all they do is push blame on vendor for their own false advertising. 

@P.S.Since my complaint B&H and their slick a**** now have changed that note they had under the button to "Coming Soon".  NOW they want to do right by us consumers....

Now its been a month and all I got to show for the $500 i spent is notification emails every week stating the obvious "oh we are sending you this email because you made a pre-order on this item, but unfortunately the item is still out of stock"  Like WTF man....this whole inventory from AMD is a mess how you let yourself make enough AIB Motherboards, but skimp on the CPU stock for your whole CPU  family, esp the flagship, instead of matching the stock level AIB partners did for your motherboards???  SMFH 

See the attachment with the BS email they send me every week.

0 Likes

You can assume, in this instance, that B&H Photo is feeding you a line.  If you don't have stock to meet the preorders taken on day 1 and are waiting to hear from the vendor, how can you continue to take preorders?  They are basically taking everything they can get without having to provide a product.

When you think about the fact that day 1 orders are unfulfilled, when can customers who order now expect a CPU?  Who knows, we won't give an ETA just give us your money.

0 Likes
cpenarrieta
Journeyman III

I also have this question. I live in Canada and I cannot find the AMD Ryzen 9 anywhere. I tried both Canada and US markets and no luck.

0 Likes
s_vayner
Adept III

Looks like its back in stock in Paterson NJ,  micro center over 10 available.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I did manage to liberate an extra 3900X from my local store.  Message me if anyone is still on the B&H waiting list.

0 Likes

newegg has been out of stock since launch day it seems

0 Likes
pauln
Adept II

I gave up and purchased a Ryzen 7 3800x...

0 Likes

pauln wrote:

I gave up and purchased a Ryzen 7 3800x...

I see I am not the only cynic here 

0 Likes

As Techspot showed, even on a forced CPU limited situation (medium details at 1920x1080), there is very little difference between a 3900X and a 3600 as far as gaming goes, and an even smaller difference at full detail levels, so you're not really losing anything as far as gaming goes. And as Techpowerup showed, the difference between the 3700X and 3900X in professional tasks, such as video creation with Adobe Premiere Pro, only 15 seconds difference between them in a task which already takes almost 4:30. So stop pouting about "settling" for the 3800X, you're not missing anything important.

0 Likes

what are they running the i9-9900K on, LN?

0 Likes

I received my Ryzen 3800x  installed it on an Aorus ax370 Gaming 5 motherboard w/16gb of FlareX 3200 ram cas 14.. Works like a charm. no issues.

Saved 100$

0 Likes
frankm1
Journeyman III

Newegg just notified me of stock FYI. I already have my 3600, will probally wait for 3950.

Sorry, when I checked it was already gone, and the price jumped $20 ??

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I do have one available if anyone really needs one.  Message me if you live in the lower 48.

0 Likes
kjartand
Journeyman III

I really do not understand why AMD has not put out a press releas regarding manufacturing and more stock of the 3900x.

My cart full of goddies have been waiting for weeks @ B&H and no news on when more will be avalible.

And I always upgrade some parts while it is the cart to more exspensive part while it just sits there, this is getting out of hand

0 Likes

my wish list is starting to look like it's riddled with vaporware

all i know is amd said september for the 3950x processor and it will be very expensive

0 Likes

16 Cores for $750 is cheap, that will sell out MUCH faster. The 3950x though was held to aid in Q4 earnings report. Why its late September, possible to assume they will hold units back here to also hype as a sought after holiday item.

0 Likes
yazx
Journeyman III

i believe AMD didnt expect the overwhelming high demand on the 3900x, even the 3700x has shortages and all stock is sold whenever its stocked, where as the mid-rage 3600 and 3600x are always in stock, so AMD miss calculated the supply and demand.

however, my initial plan was to get the 3900x, waited 4 weeks after release and it is always out of stock and retailers who has it are inflating the prices to 700$+.

so after giving it a deep thought, i went with the 3700x, since all Ryzen processors are/will be AM4 compatible, the future plan is to upgrade to Ryzen 3rd gen when it gets released if i need to, although from the way i see it, the 3700x is more than enough for my needs for the next 5-6 years, but well....the bright side is i can install any new Ryzen CPU on the same MB which is x570 and get full advantage of PCIEx 4.0.

so if your case is like mine and dont really need the 3900x, get the 3700x, its still an awesome CPU.

0 Likes

I ordered my 3900X, 36 days ago and it's still nowhere to be seen.

It's a long wait for a CPU and I can fully understand the people cancelling their orders,

since the initial excitement is gone after waiting so long.

AMD could simply release a statement abut the situation.

Whether it be good or bad news we would still get some kind of information.

I'm searching online daily to find any news or information about the situation.

But nothing so far. So I decided to come here and still found nothing.

I'm close to giving up and saving my money, because this is fast becoming a joke.

0 Likes

I feel your pain! I gave up and got the 3800x. Saved 100$..

0 Likes
rzn6jw
Adept I

I lucked out. Ordered 3900X from Amazon US. Said it's ship 8/7-8/9. On 8/10 Amazon took their money from my credit card. On 8/11 I got an email that there had been an error in shipping and that I should request a refund (Amazon CPU page had changed from becoming available to unavailable). On 8/13, much to my surprise, there sat the 3900X on my porch along with my new Gigabyte X570 motherboard. Don't know what happened but I'll tell you that the wait will be worth it. This baby performs fantastic!

0 Likes

post a validator link

0 Likes
quaglinoman
Adept I

Personally I think it is by design, how Nintendo and Apple do it. Build hype and create more hype by reduced supply..."shortage" but you simply do not allow to ship out all units. You want articles lacing the internet about "I cant find this!" So Intel struggles with headlines. Its all due to the marketing team. 

Customers are simply after thought victims of such tactics. You have AMD, a company FINALLY crawling out from the gigantic shadow of Intel, You design a product that is highly desired, you know it is wanted. This also allows for positive spins to shareholders during quarterly earnings calls. So its not just 1 big quarter, but can be smeared out over a few. Trust me there is no shortage, they have TONS in a warehouse being held back. I knew this when I bought the motherboard, I figured this would occur and I'll tell you now....Q4 is when you will see a bigger uptick in stock, you want them juicy holiday numbers. If you need a new system right now?? Just go buy Intel. Its cheap and ready to go. A few of my friends just did as they got tired of waiting though I explained this marketing tactic, as they say, there is no such thing as bad press. 

I knew to plan for the chip to start really arriving Q4 so I decided to get a flagship MOBO so by then finances will balance nicer rather than one big up front hit. Hell, we may even see Intel try to undercut in a price war and AMD will respond and by December you can get the 3950x for $600-$650

Please though do not feed the profiteers overcharging, the chip is not worth that especially when the masses using AMD do so for gaming where Intel still dominates. Creatives need to wait though.

0 Likes
jfinglas
Adept I

Just a follow up.

Finally got my 3900x from Overclockers.co.uk, in fact I've had it over a week.

Absolutely not disappointed.

MY build spec basics are:

ryzen 9 3900x.
Aorus x570 ultra motherboard ( with bios updates applied to improve XMP memory support).
32gigs 3200mhz Corsair vengeance LPX black AMD ryzen tuned memory.
Corsair Force MP510 series 480GB NVMe PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive boot drive.
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER WindForce OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card.

Corsair Hydro Series H100i Platinum RGB Performance Liquid Cooler - 240mm.
be quiet! Dark Base 700 RGB Midi Tower Case - Black Tempered Glass.

Now theres a few things that jump out.

Firstly the CPU is awesome, no question. its by no means the absolute best gaming cpu you can get, but its so close behind a 9900k overclocked to 5.1ghz (with the 3900x remaining at stock) that the difference isnt even worth talking about unless your running a dual 2080ti build trying to play like.. shadow of the tomb raider at full HDR 1440p 120FPS resolution.

Multicore performance... is hit you not.. my rig with only minimal stock tweaks came out at third best scores on cinebench behind only two multi socket XEON based severs. one was a 64 core system and one was a 96 core system i believe. so those are easily 10,000 + dollar server blades. This was in multicore testing... and amazingly...

in single core testing... i came out flat out top. iI do not know why. This shouldn't be the case in my opinion.

Gaming bencmarks also surpassed expectations. In 3d Marks full DX12 score came out just shy of 10,000. in the 86% percentile. This is amazing considering gaming for this setup is an after thought. A serious afterthought, but tstill throughput and workloads are the primary reasons for this build. Now it is worth pointing out that mt graphics card is not super amazing. is damn good. But not top tier. Also.. in the results something strange happened. No tests displayed the 900k in any of the results. stock or overclocked. I feel like this is a purposeful omission for whatever reason and i am reasonably certain hat this cpu would have beaten mine in single core gaming performance by a good 15% easy.

Noise is quite. there is a lot of talk about slow versus fast cores, and high TDP and temps and throttling. I do not see any problems with any of this. I have extensively testing my boost performance and while it is true that i do not often see spikes of boost past 4.5 percent, i do see regularly all boosts to 4.3-4.4 easy with regular intermittent 4.5 boost across all cores, though no simultaneously.

My Thor ROG 850 watt PSU is not drawing massive high wattage like some systems are system while at load loads. The temps are gloriously low even while gaming and the noise levels... OMG.. the noise levels are beautiful. ITS SO QUIET! even under heavy load with all fans ramped up to max rpm its still quieter than my old build. And its been hot here. No doubt my case, which is excellent and the AIO cooler are a large part of the fantastic temp control i am seeing, as well as the fact that low temps while doing basic multi thread tasks, like having 1000 browsers tabs in firefox open coz im OCD and stupid AF, an audio book paused in WMP12, and various other background programs and sundries going.. the system is only at like 12% memory load, 3% CPU load and ultra quiet. like...so quiet when my monitors go to sleep i have to check the computer hasnt died .

So all in all...

while the lack of supply is a shocking failure on AMDs part...

And the failure to deliver the 3950x is another...

and the now burgeoning lack of Ryzen 7 3800x's rearing tis head...

AND the ongoing stuttering teething x570 chipset problems are another...

AMD have delivered in one way... Performance. the CPU is glorious. absolutely fantastic.

Now.. if a gaming build is your focus... a super high end 900k build is still the way to go. stick a mother-ship of a huge AIO in that and overclock it to 5.2ghz and coupled it with a 2070 super or a 2080 ti if your feeling ludicrous. and you'll not regret it and defiantly gain some performance over the 3900x.

However. this CPU affords you pci-e 4.0 gen support and support for the next 1-2 MAD generations of chips, which are likely to slaughter Intel's stuff so bad that may be brought of war crimes charges ^.^

So if multi threaded heavy loads are the focus of your build. OR... if gaming and throughput is your aim... this is the CPU for you. it is absolutely , every bit, worth every penny of its price tag for those willing to stick out the insane delays in shipping.

best of luck to everybody stuck in the Que eagerly waiting their chip. barring any production on manufacturing issues with your individual chip... you will NOT be disappointing.
0 Likes
professorlugia
Journeyman III

September 6th and still no word from any suppliers about a restock date... has anyone heard anything about it yet?

0 Likes

No, and at this point AMD is being suspiciously too quiet, like they are hiding something. Perhaps they do not want to admit their speeds are not as advertised?? If they claim delays to fix an issue it acknowledges an issue?? I come back now just to check in, I already returned the Motherboard and went back to Intel, 8 core 5Ghz?? I mean they actually sell it an din some cases is faster using older tech. In the end I have plenty of time to now let PCIE 4 drop in price, NVMe sizes get bigger, etc. At this point they are playing a game or lying. So I am curious as to this fallout. Nobody is this stupid to knowingly produce so few units. I mean its  impossible to be that stupid.

In the end, AMD lost a customer for good, the Ryzen series was going to be my middle finger to Intel, based on this experience? you all can keep AMD, clearly there is a reason Intel is the undisputed King of the last 20 years.

0 Likes

youre a bit late with the suspicion.

Twitter 

0 Likes
nickjackalson
Adept III

AMD did something wonderful and still people cry out that competitor is better, ok just read this below or watch youtube video from GN.... optimized RAM gains are almost %20 in gaming!!!

platform needs some time to be optimized, and 100MHz short of top boosting is not affecting performance so much. My 3600 boosts 4100MHz all core because of the lastest bios but who cares, performance is in line with reviews

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock 

AMD Ryzen 3000 Memory Benchmark & Common RAM Mistakes (fClock, uClock, & mClock) - YouTube

some screenshots to compare it against 9900k at 5.1GHz

0 Likes

theyre not really crying. they actually ARE the competion and are just trying to raise and continue a stink.

0 Likes

mine boost to 4.4-5ghz grand, all cores. The f4i bios with the updated xmp support did a lot to help with 3200mhz ram speed compatibility and core boosts. Also, ive not seen the huge TDP spikes others are reporting.

Intel are pointedly not better. For example, in benchmark test the 9900k overclocked to 5.1ghz comes out about 10-15%  (5-10% stock) better...  then the stock clocked 3900x... in single thread performance.

And in multithread performance the stock clocked 3900x comes out so much better so much better than the 9900k overclocked that the comparison is literally laughable. its so much of a gap that Intel have pulled 9900k comparison from apps like CineBench.

THe gen 3 ryzen 7 gaming cpus are doing very well in gaming. and the gen 3 ryzen 9 consumer workload level cpus are literally slaughtering intel performance... even their xeons.

In mutlithread performance the only thing that beat my 3900x was 2 dual socket xeon blade servers, one was 46 cores and one was 60 cores. Intel need 2 cpus , triple the core count and double the ram and ram channels to barely beat my 1 cpu with 32gigs ram and dual channel.

In single core performance, my cpu beats even those cpus. (again the 9900k no longer shows but it would beat my cpus by a solid 10-15% if it did).

As of right now.... AMD are not the competition.. they are right this moment markets leaders in multithreaded cpu technology. BY a huge margin. and in gaming, the only reason they are not the market leaders..is because

a: Vulkan is not supported by a lot of game developers ( if it was a vega 64 running most games on vulkan beats most nvidia cards running almost anything)

and..

b: Most games dont use multithread, which they could and it would improve performance, its just harder to code. but if they did... yeah...AMD would be killing it. And that will happen in time.

And Shinkojiro to respond to a point you made in another post... you are right.. there IS a reason intel are the market leaders going back 20 years...

See the leader of amd is very smart and decide not to compete directly with any of intels product lines but instead to make cpu that are close to, but not quite up to their standard.. and to leap frog the technology and bgan a 10+ year long development program in multithread cpu design with the intention of becoming the market leader down the line.. not in the technology of today, but in the technology of tomorrow. she succeeded. Gen ryzen performance dunks all over intels 7nm technology win the applications it was made for, and almost matches the intel 7nm product line in the the applications those where made for. Gen 3 ryzen beat intel 10nm product line while it was still on the design line. So much so that intel have basically scrapped 10nm. And it will probably prove to beat 14nm too.

0 Likes

nice, look what I got from a simple 2400 CL14 RAM got me after I CO'd it to 3600 CL20 on a ryzen 3600 cpu, this even only boosts to 4GHz all core, 4.1GHz single core

Cinebench+Stock+3600+RAM+1589.png

0 Likes

I noticed you are using Windows 8, 10 version 1903 is not so bad now that a couple of update rollups have been released

More than that.  The Windows scheduler does not assign threads correctly to the Ryzen 3000 series with any version prior to Windows 10 1903.

0 Likes
p810252
Journeyman III

Still trying to buy one here get stock problem when i i t to order one from any of the main uk sites so not having any luck here

0 Likes

Finally got one shipped and £50  cheaper via amd store they came back in stock lastnight

0 Likes
adr_tech
Miniboss

Still almost impossible to get one of these ordered, I saw it once on amazon for about $504 for pre-order, so many people/bots must've been buying that the site glitched and would not let me put it in my cart. Sold out shortly after that.

0 Likes
neutralus
Journeyman III

I'm waiting on the 3900X as well.  I'm using this for my first AMD build.  I chose to shift to AMD for the simple fact that they support PCI 4.0.  And it's extremely disappointing that two months out and I still can't build my system.  I don't want to waste a few hundred dollars on a lower SKU CPU until this one becomes available.  So I'm waiting on availability for this CPU.  What is taking so long?  I gave it a week after launch to wait for independent reviews and then decided to get the 3900X as it was perfect for my needs and I liked what I saw.  Since my decision it has been over two months and I still can't find an available CPU outside of Ebay regardless of how many 'Notification' request I put out.  Now maybe this is just a really popular CPU or there just aren't enough made, but regardless AMD needs to ramp up production.  After two months of release time they should have their production figured out and these consistently available at all retailers whether online or brick and mortar stores.  

chadel
Adept I

I ordered my Ryzen 9 3900X on the 16th of July. Got contacted by the store 3 times now, they either have not received the shipment or the shipment was moved to a different date or was just too small and I was too far in line to get the product. Today I've been told that the shipment they were supposed to get yesterday was moved to October.
After 2 months of waiting, I'm starting to lose hope that I'll get it. Will AMD help with the problem of accessibility for this processor? 

0 Likes

chadel wrote:

I ordered my Ryzen 9 3900X on the 16th of July. Got contacted by the store 3 times now, they either have not received the shipment or the shipment was moved to a different date or was just too small and I was too far in line to get the product. Today I've been told that the shipment they were supposed to get yesterday was moved to October.
After 2 months of waiting, I'm starting to lose hope that I'll get it. Will AMD help with the problem of accessibility for this processor? 

I check NewEgg and no R9 3900X since I added it to my wishlist. At the end of September the R9 3950X is expected to be available and I am wondering how bad the supply of them will be.