cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jasonr
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 3900x in a Gigabyte Aorus elite won't post (breadboarded)

spec:

Ryzen9 3900x

Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570

Kingston HyperX 16gb Predator

Gigabyte 5700XT OC

650w psu

Thermaltake floo 360 plus AIO cooler

Won't post, with just 8 pin CPU, 24 pin motherboard connector and gpu with/without power with/without ram inserted (replaced both cpu and motherboard thinking they were defective, problem persisted)

It powers on and the fans spin etc, but I get a black screen (hdmi is plugged into GPU), there's no debugger or sound so not certain what's happening.

I've tried two monitors I know work, tested the hdmi cable on several devices and it works.

I've tried the new psu in my old machine and it works

Tried old psu in new machine and it powers on but no post

I've tried with and without ram, ram in each dim (the ram is on the QVL)

The cpu is seated properly and gently, the AIO is fixed with thumb screws that are barely tightened.

I've tried resetting cmos, and flashing latest bios with qflash plus (f10)

I'm unsure if this is a processor issue or a motherboard one.

I would have expected at minimum I would see bios with just a cpu and gpu connected.  

Any suggestions welcome, thanks

0 Likes
9 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

jasonr, your power supply is too small for your big rig, but I doubt that is your problem.  Absolutely do plug in all your 8 pin CPU cables.  Please post the conditions of any MB debug lights and get a speaker and plug it in.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi,

I replaced the psu with something over the top, (Corsaire hx1200i). Still no go. I plugged in a debug speaker, I'm not getting anything from it (it works, I tried it in my old machine.) I've sent back the ram. I am completely at a loss, if that doesn't work. At this point, when the ram arrives I will have replaced every component , apart from the gpu. I mean, I find it hard to believe that after completely replacing the motherboard and cpu, that I can't at least get a post.  

Considering that the motherboard and cpu were replaced, the only remaining common denominator was the ram, so here's hoping that solves it. I started trying to build this pc the 28th of October.. it's not the 7th of December. This is perhaps my worst pc build experience to date. 

If the the ram arrives and it doesn't post, I don't know what to do. Replace the motherboard again?

Also, the projected wattage suggested by two different calculators was between 490-520 watts, so I should have at least gotten a post when the machine was under no load , right ?

the spec will be:

• ryzen 9 3900x (--has been replaced)
  • Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 (--has been replaced) it says Ryzen 3rd gen on the box so presuming it's not a compatibility issue
  • Gigabyte 5700xt oc
  • 2x 8Gb Gskill 3600Mhz (that I picked directly from the QVL)
  • Corsaire HX1200i

regards,

Jason

0 Likes

jasonr, sorry I have not mentioned this before. Have you tried removing the MB and making a benchmark?  Put the MB on a piece of wood or cardboard (not anti-static bag) and connect the cables.  Video card? - you must have one, your processor has no IGU.  You should be able to boot to BIOS with no memory.  I think you should be getting beep codes with no video card or memory.  Please let us hear.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi,

I have tried with just the cpu (and cooler) and just the 8 pin cpu power and 24 pin atx. It did not result in a post. Even with the motherboard out of the case on the motherboard box.

which to me points at the motherboard or the cpu itself. I'm reluctant to think that I could have been so unlucky to receive two defective either cpu or motherboard, which ever is misbehaving .

regards,

Jason

0 Likes

Jason what was your solution to this problem? I am in the exact same situation as you, replaced motherboard and cpu and it is still not posting. Did the memory work? please let me know.

0 Likes

Same here, tried on a different motherboard/different RAM/different GPU, the cpu seems to be at fault.
Already opened an RMA process

0 Likes
rjstebbins
Journeyman III

Having the same issue with an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro motherboard.  Was there a resolution to this problem?

0 Likes
shamd
Journeyman III

Hi,

I hope my solution is not too late (I mean you did not sell or send back any parts of your config). I had the same problem with B450 Gigabyte Aorus Pro. When I installed the  processor I had no sound from the speaker, the RAM led was on and I was not able to switch the machine off with the power button. I was also not able to clear the  CMOS. I changed almost every part in my config without any success. I gave the CPU to a  guy who had a brand new B450 and he was able to start his computer with my CPU.

The secret is to leave the computer on. Fans will start and stop,  all led  will light up in various combination. After about one and a half minute the computer will beep and  start. From this point everything will work like a charm! PLease not that this solution was only tested with Gigabyte motherboards.

0 Likes

Hi,

I’m having this same issue now and nothing is showing up on my monitor. I have allowed 5-10 minutes of it being powered on with nothing displaying on monitor. I’ve updated BIOS, purchased new Ryzen 9 3900x, purchased new Aorus x570 elite mobo and have a thermaltake 750w power supply. When turning the power supply on and pressing the power button on the case, all fans spin and ram lights up, but nothing else happens. I tried putting my Ryzen 5 3600x back in and it worked without any issues. Surely I don’t have two faulty motherboards and CPUs back to back. Any ideas??

Thanks

0 Likes