cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Re: Ryzen 9 3900X Boost Frequency

Yes, in this case it was reworked specifically for the board I was using.  The SMU code can't be altered though, and the official releases will also have SMU version 46.49.00.  So I expect that the official version will behave virtually identically to the beta version I tested as far as boosting goes.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

They are fine. Just flashed my Formula to the 1001 bios. Got great improvement to single threading tasks, but still falls short at stock thanks to the conservative boost duration they have set. I can still get more with manual 4.6, Scoring up to 534 in R20, but its better than the 503 or less I was getting before.

2019.09.12-12.04_01.png

There are also zero voltage changes in this update.

0 Likes
rodrox
Adept III

0 Likes
s_vayner
Adept III

Just wanted to give a quick update. After getting ABBA bios my CPU now boosts to 4.595Ghz on single core, it's not 4.6 because my bus clock is not exactly 100 but rather 99.8. I am happy AMD was able to fix this problem. Also i have upgraded stock cooler with Noctua 15 and it made a huge difference in multi core boosts. Before my temps would hit 90c+ on all core and that would limit boost to 3.9Ghz all core. Now temps dropped below 80c. And i get sustained boosts of up to 4200 on all core. It made no difference for single core though, since temps were very low even with stock. My CB20 multi core score increased by ~250 points to 7360. So basically AMD stock cooler is holding CPU back. On my motherboard temps are the only limiting factor in all core boosts. I hope this helps anyone who wants to get more performance out of this CPU.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

AMD's stock cooler is technically speced for I believe 125w. However under default operation, the processor can draw up to 142w, which outpaces the cooling ability of the cooler so you end up throttling. But, It still gets the base clock on an all-core non-AVX load so its doing the job well enough, but since AMD set up the processor operation to be more like a GPU, better cooling ultimately results in better clocks on default operation, and even better cooling can get you more with high end cooling with PBO and increased limits. Tho, even that needs a tad bit work because theres still a hard limit, possibly due to the binning of CCD1

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

The D15, is a great air cooler, I have one in my server system currently.  The single core boosts are already voltage bound, so you won't see any gains there.  Your D15 multicore score is only about 2.5% behind the best score I have been able to obtain on liquid.  You could maybe gain that extra 2.5% by using PBO to go to motherboard limits, after that, the multicore boost also becomes voltage bound.

0 Likes
s_vayner
Adept III

Yep pretty happy with the results and the new cooler. Additional benefit is also my PC whisper quiet now even at max load. I think I'm done tweaking CPU for now. Squeezing the last couple % probably not worth the hassle. 

0 Likes
kingfish
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

0 Likes
allstate
Adept I

Now that I have had the time to test the new motherboard bios for Asus X470, I figured I'd post my findings.

At 3200mhz ram, I'm back to boosting to 4.625ghz on two cores.

At 3600mhz, I'm boosting at 4.50ghz on one core - This is an improvement again from the last 2 bios, but not where it should be.

There still seems to be an issue between boost clocks and how much you overclock the ram. For the record, I left the ram voltage at 1.5 & SOC at 1.1 across both tests so that doesn't seem to be the factor there. Perhaps overclocking the Infinity Fabric to 1800?

I may try testing 3800mhz Ram with 1900mhz IF (If I can get them to hold) to see the effect I get on boosting.

Overall, I'm slightly disappointed, but not overly upset by it. 50mhz isn't a make or break and under a gaming load, the CPU doesn't seem to go past 4.4ghz very often anyway! If I do more testing, I'll make sure to post it for others.

0 Likes
trcoley
Journeyman III

shinkojiro‌ would you mind posting a screenshot of your OC parameters?  What voltage are you using?

0 Likes