shinkojiro
Miniboss

Re: Ryzen 9 3900X Boost Frequency

And, thats not really what happened.

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

The heck it isnt, its exactly what has happened.. I've seen it with my own eyes and on my own system.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

I see the same thing, but there is no confirmed intent to lower boost speeds.

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

Do you actually think amd would incriminate themselves?

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Yea, saw that. "Shamino said this" and "The Stilt said that" Neither of which are AMD employees.

Then you have stuff like this:2019.08.29-20.46.png

Oh look, 4600 on 3 cores simultaneously, even the the one that is not one of the 'fastest' in the CCX.

AMD tried something and it didnt work to better stock operation, thats it. You're unwilling to do simple things that would disprove any claim that these processors cannot do their advertised speeds. Sure, there are hickups in bios that are preventing it from doing it out of the box as they should, but they are just hickups. There is no scheme or false advertisement going on.

0 Likes
allstate
Adept I

Not sure if anyone else noted this, but I found an odd behavior between my 3900x and Trident Z Neo 3600mhz, 14CL ram. I saw my 3900x hitting the advertised boost clocks, hell, I have at least 4 cores that can and 2 of them actually go slightly over the 4.6ghz.

However, when I bought G Skill's new Trident Neo ram and overclocked it to 3600mhz at 14 CL (Which is what the ram is intended for) I noticed the 3900x would no longer boost over 4.25ghz. After much tinkering, I found the ram frequency is what is holding the CPU back. My ram is now running 3200mhz and the cpu boosts as it should.

Has anyone else found this odd coincidence as well? Perhaps those who are having issues with their CPU's boosting should try resetting the bios and see how it boosts, then tinker from there.

EDIT: I was running Bios 2606 for the above findings. I upgraded to the newer version 2703. This did not completely fix it though. Ram at 3600mhz causes the cpu to boost no higher than 4.475ghz. An improvement, but still not where it should be. At 3200mhz it boosts no higher than 4.575ghz which is less than the last Bios version.

My PC: 3900x, Asus X470 Crosshair vii Hero wi-fi, 32gb Trident Neo 3600mhz ram, RoG Strix RTX2080, Samsung 970 Evo, EVGA 750w PSU, CoolerMaster H500M, Windows 10 v1903

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I noticed that if I set RAM to the XMP profile, boosting breaks completely.  I noticed that RAM speed is set by the profile on the main UEFI page.  Infinity Fabric and Northridge speed to not scale correctly with RAM, when set there.  Instead, I set the RAM clocks in AMD CBS and Overclocking menus.  Setting it here caused the Northridge and Infinity fabric to scale correctly, and also restored the normal boost behavior.

allstate
Adept I

Good call, this helped but didn't get it to 4.6ghz for me. I'm boosting to 4.5 now with 3600mhz ram. Hopefully motherboard makers (Asus for us) get on this quickly.

0 Likes