cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cjcambo
Adept I

Ryzen 7 Freezing Problems

I've recently installed  a Ryzen 7 2700x, from a Ryzen 5 1500x.
Since upgrading, my games have been stuttering, non stop.
Examples: cjcambo - More Stuttering - Plays.tv & cjcambo - Stuttering Example. - Plays.tv
Build:
Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Strix Advance 8GB
16GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Western Digital WD20EZRZ Blue 2TB SATA 6Gb HDD 64M
Cougar STX550 80+ White Certification
WD Green SSD 2.5 240G
Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING-3 AM4 motherboard

Core performance boost ON in BIOS: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Core performance boost OFF in BIOS: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I have tried the following:

I’ve updated my BIOS to the latest version. (American Megatrends Inc. F23)
I’ve updated all drivers on my PC to the lastest version as well as chipsets.
I’ve reinstalled windows.

Turned on high power mode.

Tested both storage units on my pc with CrystalDiskInfo, which came back with both healthy.
I’ve monitored my CPU usage during stutters and it doesn’t move an inch

Honestly, don't know what to do about it, it's frustrating the hell out of me.

0 Likes
1 Solution
cjcambo
Adept I

billy72​ & elstaci​ it turns out, at close inspection. The Ryzen 7 2700x has been bent, possibly in transit, i'm not too sure. The golden spokes have been bent, only a few of them, but i think that may be the issue here.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies

According to your motherboard's QVL List for the Ryzen 2xxx CPU RAM Memory list, your RAM Memory is not listed but very close to one that are listed. The only difference between your RAM and the QVL List RAM is the last three characters in the Part number. The QVL list has C16 while yours ends in C14.

Ryzen 2xxx CPUs

For the Ryzen CPU 1xxx the closest is the one I highlighted:

So it might be RAM incompatibility that may be causing the freezing. You might try adjusting different XMP profiles and see if one works better. Or you can Reset your BIOS via the Motherboard or thru BIOS clicking on "Optimum Settings" and see if it makes a difference.

Also Nvdia has a BETA Hotfix that just came out that you may want to install and see if that may be the cause. The hot fix mainly concerns game playing.

Plus the latest BIOS for your motherboard is version F23 : GA-AB350-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.x) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A.

Plus you have the minimum PSU Wattage for your system with a GTX 1070ti :

Possibly with the Ryzen 2xxx which has a TDP of 105 Watts could be overloading your PSU. Whereas your Ryzen 1xxx only had a TDP of 65 Watts.

I suggest you download a Hardware monitoring software like Open Hardware or HWHardware and have it running to see what the Minimum and Maximum Voltages and Temperatures are when it freezes.

Your 80+ "White Certification" PSU means that it is less efficient than a Bronze 80+ PSU. This chart shows you the various certifications and how efficient they are:

cjcambo
Adept I

billy72​ & elstaci​ it turns out, at close inspection. The Ryzen 7 2700x has been bent, possibly in transit, i'm not too sure. The golden spokes have been bent, only a few of them, but i think that may be the issue here.

0 Likes

Bent pins are a bad sign. That is probably why you were having so much problems. If those pins don't enter the motherboard's socket straight it can cause the CPU not to work correctly since it is not getting all the data it needs

It will be difficult to prove the pins were bent when you got it or after you tried to installed it.

If you can't straighten out the pins so it enters the socket evenly then you will need to replace the CPU.

0 Likes

I'm 100% certain it wasn't myself.
I placed the CPU in once and i'm extremely careful as i know how important these pins are.

Nor did i drop or place the CPU pin side down.
I do wish Ryzen would stop using pins.

I've returned this item to where i brought it from as it was faulty.

0 Likes